Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed and new emails....
ResMed and new emails....
I've never had a CPAP machine that "calls home" until I've got the ResMed AirSense 10; the previous S9 did not have a SIM card built in.

While I have noticed the SIM card in the AS 10 after about a week and promptly disabled the card, it was too late.

For the last 10 days or so, pretty much everyday, I  receive an email or two with the following subject line:

Quote:Stop Snoring For Good!

I have not seen this kind of emails prior to getting the AS 10 CPAP machine. Maybe it's just a coincidence, a suspicious one at the least, maybe not. Reading the privacy notice at ResMed shows, that my information maybe shared with third-parties. Maybe it's ResMed the source of these emails, but then again, it might not be.

What's your experience with "calling home machines" and emails?

TIA...
"Life is dream, awakening is death..."
- Chinese proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed and new emails....
The ResMed AirSense and AirCurve models (usually called just A10 or sometimes S10) have a cell phone modem that sends some of the data to ResMed or perhaps to a third party designated by ResMed. I will occasionally get emails congratulating me on using the machine, but that's it.

You could try putting the SIM card back in and then putting the machine in airplane mode. That will stop it from sending data and then you can see if you continue to get the strange emails. The stop snoring for good message may just be ResMed's way of prompting you to use your machine, since it's not getting any confirmation indicating that you are using it.

By the way, what's the fear of sending them your data?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How did you disable the card? Did you put the machine in the airplane mode or did you open the unit and disconnect the modem? Where is the sim card?
Post Reply Post Reply
It6's more likely that you browsed some CPAP gear or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
Who is it coming from? Does the "From" email have an address ending in @resmed.com or is it a third-party vendor?

If not, I agree with Bonjour. It's likely you're on facebook or Amazon and you've searched for something. Your email account has been harvested and now you're on a list. It's darned frustrating.

I hope you find a solution.

Chris
[Image: dreamdiver-signature-gif.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
No such experience whatsoever.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you go to your MyAir account, you can change your account settings to opt out of any notifications.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The actual return email address is somethingtrulydivinedotcom, no it is not spoofed, I checked. My check showed, that this domain name's email server is on 14 of the 87 blacklist servers. I'll just reject this domain name on my email server.

While it is true that I've ordered CPAP mask, other stuff and they have my email address, these emails are not coming to that email address of mine. They are coming to an address that my DME supplier has. I am not even certain that ResMed in itself has my email address, since there has been no email and/or phone contact with ResMed. There's no mentioning in the email about my CPAP equipment and/or hours used. I don't have a Facebook, other social media, or Amazon account associated email account to send these spam emails.

The A10 is currently in airplane mode and does not send any data, instead, it is recorded to a 16GB SD card. At least AFAIK, never trust a software enabled device... I haven't received any complaint from the DME supplier yet. The last time she mentioned that she doesn't see the data coming in, she also mentioned that in my hometown, they are having issues with the cell connections. I am not certain, if this is really due to cell reception, or most people just put their machine in to airplane mode like I did. I do know that the cell connectionc an be disabled to get rid of the airplane mode warning and it seems easy, search for it on the web and/or just Yuotube. The process does not remove the SIM card, just removes either the power and/or the antenna connection. Since this is a rental DME, I am not certain, if disconnecting the SIM card is permissible, or a good idea. I'd do it in a heartbeat, if I paid for it...

I would post the link, but getting this warning:

Quote:Please correct the following errors before continuing:
  • I'm sorry, brand new members are not allowed to post links in this forum until they have 4 posts.

In my age, someone calling you "brand new", you just smile and go with it...like

While I have nothing to hide, I don't like that my treatment data uploaded to a server and go everywhere. The companies collecting any type of data is always for sale, or at the very least traded by data brokers; we live in a surveillance capitalism where every aspects of our life is a product, even if we pay for the actual product. Singling out a company is useless since all of them do the same.
"Life is dream, awakening is death..."
- Chinese proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
I receive email messages from ResMed / MyAir once in a while. Maybe 2-3 times per month, if even that. Usually just reminders in regards to how well I'm doing, and tips in regards to proper equipment maintenance and cleaning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm assuming that the machines fitted with a SIM card wold have to be set-up in some way before they can communicate with the mother ship? Until then, how would the machine know HOW to connect? Which network and provider would it use? How would it know what your email address is?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forum software question - are you getting your thread subscription emails okay? SuperSleeper 4 3,762 05-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.