Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed auto gushing air
Cool 
ResMed auto gushing air
Sorry to bother you all with another question from a newbie.

Last week I had my second sleep study and got a prescription for a machine. During the set up and during the night for 2 or 3 'bathroom breaks' the Resmed machine stopped pumping out air shortly after the tubing was disconnected - all seemed OK and I got just over 2 hours sleep.

Yesterday I went and obtained on a trial basis a ResMed auto which was set to elite (not auto). I managed to get just over 3 hours sleep using a dreamwear nasal and a chin strap. It was a fight between the chin strap and the back of the mask that woke me up and resulted in me taking off and sleepily going back to sleep. It was the air gushing out that probably woke me up.

The trial Resmed starts pumping out air as soon as I turn it on and stays on while having a 'bathroom break' Also the pressure stays on the prescription setting rather than going back to 4 and auto ramping to my setting (7).

So after all that How do I set the machine up so it starts when I put the mask on and turns off shortly after I turn it off please.

Thanks in advance,

David Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed auto gushing air
The feature you're describing in called Smart Start on a Resmed. You will find its setting in the clinician menu.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't have the elite model unless I had to, you will be better off with the airsense autoset. Unless you mean it is an autoset put into fixed cpap mode, the same as the elite model?
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.

Yes its "an autoset put into fixed cpap mode," My doctor said I didnt need an autoset and to save my money by using the Elite. Can I please ask why, "I wouldn't have the elite model unless I had to"?

How do I get to the "clinician menu" please.

Thanks 
David 
Post Reply Post Reply
You can get the setup manual for your machine at the CPAP Setup Manuals link above. It explains how to adjust your settings and what they mean.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds as if you are self funded. The elite is a fixed pressure cpap, you can titrate yourself with it as needed, it's just that it's harder. The autoset is easier to use and isn't much more than the elite. You can get a dreamstation auto off of amazon for around $380, just check for warranty. good secondhand with warranty are available from secondwind, 1800cpap etc

while you have the autoset, I would use the auto mode and see how it works
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsens...setup-info
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day David.

Quote:Yes its "an autoset put into fixed cpap mode," My doctor said I didnt need an autoset and to save my money by using the Elite.

That sounds a bit contradictory. The Elite and Autoset are different machines. The Elite is a fixed pressure CPAP (constant positive airway pressure) which will give you the same pressure all night long (apart from the ramp time - see below). The Autoset is an APAP - automatic positive airway pressure. The APAP machine can adjust pressure up and down as needed. The APAP can be set in CPAP mode, but not the other way round. ie you can't use the Elite as an APAP. If you paid less you probably only got the Elite. The name is printed on the front of the machine so you can see for yourself.

Quote:Can I please ask why, "I wouldn't have the elite model unless I had to"?

As I said above the APAP can adjust pressure up and down as needed to help prevent apneas. It can compensate for changes in your sleep, such as sleeping on your back instead of your side. It measures things such as snoring and flow limitations which are "precursors" to apneas and raises the pressure as required, then lowers it again after a period of time.

The APAP (Autoset) also adjusts as needed as you get older, or if you have an illness which changes your pressure needs. The CPAP (Elite) can't do this, as it just maintains a fixed pressure.

All the Elite does is provide a constant pressure all night long. That's fine if that's all you need, but in general the Elite needs to run at a higher pressure to be sure of preventing as many events as possible. The APAP runs at a lower average pressure, then increases pressure when required. Some people find the pressure changes disturbing and prefer to run on a fixed pressure. For some reason sleep doctors also seem to prefer constant pressure machines.

Both are excellent machines, but I would always choose the Autoset for its extra flexibility, responding to your needs overnight and over time.

Ramp: Both machines have a ramp function which starts your pressure very low then gradually builds it up to therapeutic pressure. You can adjust both the starting pressure and the ramp time, but they need to be enabled in the clinician menu. It's possible your supplier has disabled them.

Quote:So after all that How do I set the machine up so it starts when I put the mask on and turns off shortly after I turn it off please.

You need to turn on SmartStart. Again, this needs to be enabled from the clinician menu. Also be aware that your machine may have a leak alarm - you can have SmartStart or the alarm turned on but not both at the same time. Personally I never bother with SmartStart - it's no great hardship to push the button. Smile

Quote:How do I get to the "clinician menu" please.

Please go to the "CPAP Setup Manuals" link at the top of this page to request the clinician manual for your machine. Please follow the instructions carefully as there are hundreds of manuals available and you want to get the right one.

Hope this helps
Paul
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to everyone who has contributed - much appreciated. 

I've found the smart start and look forward to using that feature tonight. It is a big learning curve and now I just hope all that I've done along the way is going to work in a positive fashion.

Thanks again

David
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,255 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 372 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 562 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  My resmed s9 escape auto does not save date and time. jocemar 2 268 12-30-2023, 11:03 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 299 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Meaning of information on "Sleep Report" Resmed Aircurve Auto fredhaddock 3 461 11-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 585 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.