Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed new female-specific algorithm (fAPAP)
ResMed new female-specific algorithm (fAPAP)
http://investor.resmed.com/phoenix.zhtml...&highlight=

Redefining Sleep Apnea Treatment for Women: New Algorithm Significantly Improves Treatment of Flow Limitation
Enables lower pressures over the course of the night than standard APAP

SAN DIEGO, May 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- A new study presented today at the American Thoracic Society 2014 International Conference (Abstract #714) indicates that a new algorithm developed specifically for how female sleep apnea sufferers breathe and who use auto-adjusting positive airway pressure (APAP) therapy can improve flow limitation and enable lower pressures for therapy, leading to a more comfortable therapy experience.

This new approach to APAP treatment addresses female-specific obstructive sleep apnea characteristics. Nigel McArdle, M.D., consultant physician and research scientist at the West Australian Sleep Disorders Research Institute, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, served as lead investigator on the trial and presented the findings from the study, funded by ResMed (NYSE: RMD). ResMed is the global leader in the treatment of sleep-disordered breathing and other respiratory conditions.

The study findings have the potential to better inform treatment decisions, improve therapy experiences, and increase compliance among women with sleep apnea, according to McArdle.

"We've known for a while that sleep apnea presents itself differently in men and women, and that physiological gender differences affect treatment responses," said McArdle. "With that in mind, we designed this trial, the first of its kind, to investigate the possibility of a new treatment algorithm to make APAP therapy more effective and comfortable for women with sleep apnea."

Using the principles of APAP therapy, researchers at the University of Western Australia, the Western Australian Sleep Disorders Research Institute, and the ResMed Science Centre developed the new treatment algorithm to proactively address female-specific characteristics of sleep apnea. The algorithm has been designed to reflect the fact that respiratory events in women are typically shorter in duration, that female apneas occur mainly in the rapid eye movement phase of sleep, and that air flow is frequently constrained but not altogether blocked in female patients.

Researchers found that the proportion of flow-limited breaths was significantly lower with the new algorithm than with standard APAP, and mean mask pressure tended to be less.

"The overlooked gender differences of sleep apnea can make treatment uncomfortable and less effective for women," said Jeff Armitstead, Ph.D., vice president of medical affairs, ResMed. "As we learn more about the condition and seek to improve ways to treat it, gender-specific approaches are an obvious next step, and are in line with ResMed's history of innovative, patient-centric solutions. We'll continue to support research in this area and seek to translate the knowledge gained into effective therapies."

For more information, the full study abstract may be found here
http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...S_2014.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed new female-specific algorithm (fAPAP)
ResScan 4.5 does have reference to an Autoset S10 and AutosetForHer S10
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm... I wonder if you might be better able to tune CPAP if you take things like age, height, weight, neck size, etc. into account.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2014, 02:30 AM)greg-g Wrote: ResScan 4.5 does have reference to an Autoset S10 and AutosetForHer S10
In this case, I might hold on getting a spare machine for now
We should not be waiting too long for the anticipated launch
Post Reply Post Reply
While I agree that some sort of way to input neck size and other biometrics would be good, I don't see why having a machine just for women is justifiable other than for marketing purposes. I think they saw how many women wanted a pink Autoset for Her and decided to expand on it. To say that women as a whole have such a different treatment need is just stupid. We're not all the same any more than all men are the same. We don't all have the same neck size, sleep in the same position, or breathe the same way just because we have (or once had) ovaries.

I call bull crap on the cutesie pink and white machine with its alleged specialized algorithm. I'll wait for the study to be duplicated by someone less biased before I'll even consider believing it. Because if the study were true, why isn't there a S10 for Him? If women need something different, don't men? I can see there being an "One Size Fits Most" middle ground but shouldn't there be one for men?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
When you look at the paper (really just a poster) the numbers don't seem to warrant the purported outcome. I'm not a medical scientist, so I'll refrain from saying it's bullcrap, but the sample seems very small (20 patients) and the extent of the study seems inadequate (two nights, presumably one night on each machine). When I plotted the outcomes with error bars, it didn't look at all convincing. The poster itself states that the only statistically significant difference was in flow limitations. I note also that oxygen desaturation was actually worse with the fAPAP algorithm.

In response to Paula's comments, I do trust the study and the numbers - I'm not sure that I trust the interpretation Resmed has decided to place on them.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed spend a great deal more money on research than other manufacturers and lead the way in machine developments

First led the way with central apnea detection and enhanced S9 AutoSet algorithm

ResMed done it again with "AutoSet AirSense 10 For Her", totally different than the pink S9 AutoSet for her
If you hurry, you can download the clinical manual in AM forum

20 people might be small sample but also 20 was for the S9 AutoSet central apnea detection white paper
The doubters said you need chest belt to measure breathing effort in order to tell whether the apnea is obstructive or central
Now its been accepted that the S9 AutoSet can detect central apnea just the same as in sleep lab with the chest belt

Even Respironcis follow suite adding central apnea detection to some of their "System One" machines but called it "clear airway apnea"
Post Reply Post Reply
The "AutoSet AirSense 10 For Her" is a more premium machine than the standard "AutoSet AirSense 10", and I recommend it for both men and women.

The "AutoSet AirSense 10 For Her" offers all three modes:
1. Normal AutoSet mode (I think unchanged from S9 Enhanced AutoSet algorithm)
2. "AutoSet for Her" mode, which still has all benefits of S9 Enhanced AutoSet algorithm (central versus obstructive apnea detection, etc) plus extra features and benefits, such as RERA detection not offered in normal AutoSet mode.
3. CPAP fixed pressure mode of course)

"AutoSet for Her" mode may be helpful for all patients, not just women. The pressure rises more gradually and drops back to the Min Pressure setting more gradually, and the Min Pressure (the target toward which the pressure slowly drops back between obstructive events) automatically adjusts higher when apneas occur within one minute of each other. This could be really helpful for lots of men and women who are bothered by the repetitive sawtooth pattern of steep pressure rises followed by gradual pressure drops repeating all night long.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2014, 01:47 AM)vsheline Wrote: The "AutoSet AirSense 10 For Her" offers all three modes:
Three machines in one Coffee
AutoSet AirSense 10 For Her is the machine of my choice when replacement is due and don't care what people thinks
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2014, 02:02 AM)zonk Wrote: AutoSet AirSense 10 For Her is the machine of my choice when replacement is due and don't care what people thinks
Finally got A10 AutoSet, not "for Her" version

Now having looked at the manual and the info in this thread , come to conclusion, no difference between the two A10 AutoSet, other than the "for Her" version does an extra mode and report RERAs. Whether that is useful or not ... the jury still out
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Resmed Algorithm changes? BelgianWaffle 1 309 01-05-2024, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question [CPAP] Is the Resmed algorithm missing my AHI events? Nathan Graves 2 609 08-10-2023, 08:07 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Periodic Breathing algorithm in OSCAR? hkr3 15 2,178 06-13-2022, 06:55 AM
Last Post: kappa
  What's the accumulated Apneaboard wisdom on the ForHer algorithm? cathyf 2 710 04-03-2022, 04:34 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  (Dreamstation) Flex algorithm is out of sync with my breathing skim 12 2,875 02-28-2022, 08:18 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Need help reading flow charts. Very low AHI, still tired, algorithm wrong? bearsleeps 3 848 02-08-2022, 06:39 AM
Last Post: bearsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.