Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed session durations are incorrect (far too short)
ResMed session durations are incorrect (far too short)
    Using new ResMed Aircurve 10. Last 2 nights unit itself and OSCAR show total time on unit of around 2 hours when in fact it was closer to 5 hours (2 sessions with a short bathroom break). Some of the sessions are reported as having duration of 1 minute or less. I have call into DME, but not sure they will be that competent!!

Concerned that if not fixed soon this will throw me out of Medicare compliance.

Only recent change to equipment was move to Airfit P30i several days ago, but the 1st nights with it data was reported fine. 

Attached is image of OSCAR reported sessions and summary data shows AHI of 0.37 and LL 0%

I am in rural area, and the "wifi" connection has always been weak - 1 bar; this has not changed recently. I have not checked hose for leaks or attempted any trouble shooting myself.

As usual, thanks for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed session durations are incorrect (far too short)
Not sure what happened, but the DME doesn't care about OSCAR. What does MyAir show?

And, you can always download Rescan, from AB, and see if there are any differences from OSCAR. Unfortunately Rescan doesn't give flow limitation data or show flow rate, so I use OSCAR for that and Rescan for reports for my doctor.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
@sanSo
DME when I called indicated that the data they were seeing showed numerous short duration sessions, and they claimed that I had pushed the stop button multiple times (when in fact I had done so to go to bathroom once) and in the morning. MyAir on the machine itself only shows a total duration for the "night" which is much shorter than the amount of time with nasal pillows on. I rely on OSCAR; I believe MyAir would NOT show actual sessions, but just aggregate stats. MyAir website claims I don't have an account and I am not going to take time now to fight with that inaccurate website.

DME said that machine ends a session when it does not detect a person and "decides" that the mask is off. They were evasive in answering whether a major leak should get recorded as LL, or if it is too major that it is "viewed" as mask is off and shuts down the session.

Since I only woke up once, and don't think I am a restless sleeper it still seems odd to have multiple 1 minute sessions recorded that then seemingly "self-correct" however they don't lead to a longer recorded session. I will try again tonight and take some notes.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is my understanding of MyAir. MyAir records the total amount of use over a 24 hour period from noon to noon. It also records mask off events. I do not know the duration of turning off the machine to trigger a mask off event. I have turned off the machine for a moment and then turned it back on right away and it does not trigger a mask off event.

As far as the hours used. I've had a few times when I would sleep for 5-6 hours and then turn off the machine and and an hour or so later MyAir would display the stats. I would then turn the machine back on and use it for another hour or so and My Air would add the hours onto 5-6 hours already recorded. It would also adjust the mask off events.

Fortunately I've only had a few nights where I had a bad leak. Usually I would not clip one of the straps back on after loosening it and that would impact the data.

My advice is to check the Sleep Report on the actual machine for the number of hours. If you select the Sleep Report and all it shows is go to MyAir, you need enable the Plus selection under settings. It would be wise to get a clinician manual to understand how to make the changes. If you feel adventurous, push and hold the Home Button and the Dial for 3 seconds. That will take you into the clinical menu. Select Settings and press the dial. Turn the dial to scroll down. Select Essentials and press the dial. Select Plus and press the dial. Scroll up to Exit Clinical Menu and press the dial. When you select Plus you will be able to see an overview of the sleep data under Sleep Report. It will show you the hours used in the 24 hour span.

If the machine doesn't show the hours, run a test. Maybe set it up so you can't accidentally turn it off, maybe tape a cover over the on-off switch. When you wake up, check the hours. If the machine doesn't record the hours and the cover is intact, then it might be an problem with the machine. If the cover has been moved, you are turning it off even if you don't remember.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Liteheart1, could you upload the complete page for that night please? Taking bits of data in isolation can be misleading. Also, please resize the left sidebar so that all the text is on its own line and doesn't wrap around. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

Regarding turning the machine off repeatedly - yes it's very possible to do that and not know it. We do all sorts of things in our sleep with no memory of them - the sleeping memory is entirely unreliable. Try taping something over the button to prevent you using it while asleep. Alternatively, put your machine in a drawer so you physically can't get to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also make sure you are not using any auto start or auto stop modes
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=21193]Thanks all; somewhat better session lengths last night; will put tape on the on/off switch tonight to rule that aspect out.

Auto modes?  I have ramp OFF. How do I check that auto off is not enabled?

Attached is full OSCAR from the original night that started this thread.

In doing a little bit of experimenting yesterday afternoon, lying down on my side, I can feel that where my head is on bed pillow as well as whether my chin is downward or ... has some impact on the tension on the straps and thus somewhat on the pillows fit in nostrils. While I can not feel any air escaping (even putting a moistened finger toward nose as a detection device) there might be some air leaks. Nonetheless, since with prior Wisp mask I could definitely feel a LL event, I am not sure I have the short duration sessions figured out yet, but will experiment some more to play detective.

Thanks for detailed instructions on getting into Clinical Settings and hadn't known that on the machine MyAir info is available; DME only told me that I'd have to use app or go to MyAir website.

At least last night hours >4 so I am not as concerned about jeopardizing on Medicare compliance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2020, 11:02 PM)70sSanO Wrote: This is my understanding of MyAir.  MyAir records the total amount of use over a 24 hour period from noon to noon.  It also records mask off events.  I do not know the duration of turning off the machine to trigger a mask off event.  I have turned off the machine for a moment and then turned it back on right away and it does not trigger a mask off event.

I adjusted MyAir in clinical settings; then also choose for machine to display MyAir for 1-day period. While this gives quite a bit of information, I do NOT see or understand what the data would display that indicated a "mask off event."  Could you elaborate? Thanks.

Does MyAir have some article/doc that defines what each of the data lines stands for e.g. one is "RR" most of the others are pressure related or AHI stats.
Post Reply Post Reply
Every time your machine stops is classed as a mask off event and every machine start records a mask on event. Looking at your charts your machine is having issues try unplugging it and plug it back in other than that take it back to the DME as last night was no better there are loads and loads of sessions
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it might help to zoom in on what happens when the machine stops. By looking at a 2-minute period before the machine stops, we can see if there is a pattern that is turning it off. If you are not doing it, and if Smartstart is turned off, then what is left is a fault in the machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 427 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Long story short chronic 5 359 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [Equipment] Dreamstation 2 session tracking hillie16 3 483 12-04-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Incorrect usage report Resmed Airsense 11 hydra 0 692 07-06-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: hydra
  [CPAP] Short Duration Cpap Usage Myeung 3 489 06-27-2023, 06:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  incorrect Logging Use For Insurance BlueSky1958 2 454 04-25-2023, 03:52 PM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Dreamstation incorrect flags voluhar 0 390 02-19-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: voluhar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.