Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResScan 3.16 not working for me
RE: ResScan 3.16 not working for me (Moved to Main Forum)
(04-18-2012, 10:11 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There is a way to manually look for the drivers and delete them. Just Google manually remove drivers.

True. I'm not sure what's really going on with these proprietary drivers that are (optionally) installed during the ResScan install phase.

It seems everyone who's ever made the mistake of installing the drivers (during a ResScan install) ends up borking their system for any future ResScan installs, even if they manually remove the drivers after the fact, their system is still borked.

So there may be something else that becomes mis-configured during the proprietary driver installs (not just the drivers themselves)...

It would be interesting to see if System Restore solves these issues.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 11:33 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(04-18-2012, 10:11 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There is a way to manually look for the drivers and delete them. Just Google manually remove drivers.

True. I'm not sure what's really going on with these proprietary drivers that are (optionally) installed during the ResScan install phase.

It seems everyone who's ever made the mistake of installing the drivers (during a ResScan install) ends up borking their system for any future ResScan installs, even if they manually remove the drivers after the fact, their system is still borked.

So there may be something else that becomes mis-configured during the proprietary driver installs (not just the drivers themselves)...

It would be interesting to see if System Restore solves these issues.

More then likely it's *either* a drive file that hasn't been found and removed, or one that's been altered by the install... or 1 of the several dozen windows registry entries that are likely created on install, that aren't cleaned up after uninstall.

All of which should be rolled back by system restore. To my certain knowledge, it's the only way to undo a software installation, and get rid of all the crap that gets left in the registry. The catch is that it gets rid of everything that's been updated or installed *since* the date of the restore file, so if you install something today, something in 5 days, and something in a week... and then decide that there's something broken in the program you installed today, and do a restore to a file dated yesterday, you get to reinstall the other 2 things all over again.

Post Reply Post Reply
Since I don't need Resscan, shall I give it a try? Install ResScan complete with drivers and see if it works?

I have it on another computer (mine does not have a card reader). I know it works 'cause I looked at my stupid data once. (sigh)

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 11:58 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Since I don't need Resscan, shall I give it a try? Install ResScan complete with drivers and see if it works?

It all depends upon whether you want to risk borking any future ResScan install in the future on your PC (should you decide to purchase a fully data-capable ResMed machine)...

If System Restore works, great. If not... boo-hoo for you.... Crying-into-tissue

Kind of like a doctor injecting himself with an un-tested anti-viral serum.... it will either work and cure the disease, Bouncy or the doctor will die... crygreen

Do you feel lucky? Dont-know

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Doesn't anyone do backups? I backup my whole system weekly (on a schedule overnight) to a separate drive (NAS), and a number of different data files each time throughout the day as they are modified (using Memeo). All my ResScan & SleepyHead info, my PIM, my email, to name a few, data files are automatically updated whenever there is a change in them. Simple and easy. The worst case is I would lose 6 days of new application installs, but no data is lost. This practice is the result of a total loss of significant programs and data at a critical time, many years ago, which I swore would never happen to me again.

That said, bilwakka, do you have any backups that would help? While I agree that system restore "should" restore everything, including the registry and drivers, I find nothing which fully confirms that. I don't use system restore, and have disabled it as a waste of space on my machine, due to the aforementioned backups. A restored backup, however, I guarantee will do exactly what you need.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your responses.
I was overwhelmed by your genuine interest (which was in stark contrast to a lack of solution or interest from ResMed).

SuperSleeper’s suggestion about residual (rogue?) drivers being the cause is probably “on the money” because ……
I certainly did install the drivers on my initial load from a purchased ResScan CD (3.16).
That’s when my problems arose.
Subsequent uninstalls and re-installs (including the free program from HealthcareWorker) failed to rectify the problem.
I did however install the CD on another computer excluding the drivers and IT WORKED!
That seems to validate SuperSleeper’s suggestion.

To follow through on suggestions for rectification, I did a System Restore.
I had a Restore Point prior to my initial installation (where I erroneously ticked the drivers).
I noted that the following drivers would be deleted
ACR38/100/122 PC/SC Driver
Windows Driver Package ACS (A38CCID) Smart Card
Windows Driver Package ACS (ACR122U) Smart Card
Windows Driver Package ACS (ACSSCR) Smart Card
As these appeared to have been installed after the Restore date, they looked suspiciously like they may have come from ResScan.
So I ran System Restore and had high hopes that a re-install of the ResScan CD would solve the problem.
It didn’t! And the drivers re-appeared.
I got the same issues as initially reported in this thread (see attachment).
And furthermore, subsequent System Restore revealed that the four abovementioned drivers were there and “might be restored”.
I am now having trouble trying to identify the drivers on my computer so that I can delete them. Any suggestions?

I've taken other suggestions on notice and will engage them when the current issue has run its course.

Cheers

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 09:52 PM)bilwakka Wrote: Thank you all for your responses.
I was overwhelmed by your genuine interest (which was in stark contrast to a lack of solution or interest from ResMed).

SuperSleeper’s suggestion about residual (rogue?) drivers being the cause is probably “on the money” because ……
I certainly did install the drivers on my initial load from a purchased ResScan CD (3.16).
Subsequent uninstalls and re-installs (including the free program from HealthcareWorker) failed to rectify the problem.
I did however install the CD on another computer excluding the drivers and IT WORKED!

I had a Restore Point prior to my initial installation (where I erroneously ticked the drivers).
As these appeared to have been installed after the Restore date, they looked suspiciously like they may have come from ResScan.
So I ran System Restore and had high hopes that a re-install of the ResScan CD would solve the problem.
And furthermore, subsequent System Restore revealed that the four abovementioned drivers were there and “might be restored”.
I am now having trouble trying to identify the drivers on my computer so that I can delete them. Any suggestions?

I've taken other suggestions on notice and will engage them when the current issue has run its course.

Cheers

the only thing that might work is to delete the items in the registry. if you're not familiar with messing with the registry, forget it because if you do something wrong you could lose everything. i'd say forget rescan and use sleepyhead.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 10:07 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:

Cheers

the only thing that might work is to delete the items in the registry. if you're not familiar with messing with the registry, forget it because if you do something wrong you could lose everything. i'd say forget rescan and use sleepyhead.

I think you're right.
Just had a trial run of Sleepyhead.
Looks good to me!
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Cheers

Wow, the drivers came back? That impressive. And horribly bad programming practice on someone's part... I'm not even sure how that could work.

Only other suggestion I can make is to try the system restore again, but go back one more restore point, and see what happens there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 09:52 PM)bilwakka Wrote: SuperSleeper’s suggestion about residual (rogue?) drivers being the cause is probably “on the money” because ……

You can uninstall the drivers manually, and that will allow you to start your ResScan install again.

I believe you said you were using Win7 x32. The following should enable you to delete your drivers.

Click on Start (lower left, picture of MS "World" icon)

Go to Control Panel >> Device Manager

This will open the list of devices present on your computer. Select View, and then check Show Hidden Devices.

You will now not only see the items that Windows currently detects as installed on your pc, you will also see all the drivers and devices which have been loaded in the past but were not uninstalled or which are not currently started. You can look for drivers which were initially incorrectly chosen to install in ResScan, right-click each, and choose Uninstall to remove them from the system completely. I do not know exactly how the ResScan drivers will appear, so you will have to do some looking. They will NOT likely have the name ResScan or ResMed associated with them.

Note that non-loaded devices, drivers, and services are “grayed” out, but that does not necessarily mean that you should delete all of them. ONLY remove items you know you do not need. You might accidentaly delete an "activation" device, which would require a new activation of your system.

Before uninstalling anything, you can also do a backup of the driver to be uninstalled. Right click on the device you intend to uninstall, select Properties, then in the next screen, select the Driver tab, then in the lower right, Driver Details. This will show you the path and name of the driver which will be uninstalled. Use Explorer, put a copy of that driver in a new folder (such as BackedUpDrivers) and then proceed in the normal manner. DO NOT just delete the file - go through the process previously described.

You have listed a few items noted as smart card, etc., which you should be able to find on this screen. Unless you have another smart card, I would consider removing these. Look for anything else which relates to ResScan and uninstall that as well. If you find anything else you think but are not sure is involved, try re-installing first without removing it.

When complete, do a "cold" boot, ie, turn off your computer and then restart it.

At this point, you should be back where you started before your initial install of ResScan UNLESS ResScan modified a working driver, which will probably remain after this exercise. No warranties here :grin:

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR v1.5.2 Not Working on My Chromebook fixed it 4 81 03-26-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 95 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,338 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 180 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 375 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 436 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
  Oscar Quit Working stillsleepy2 19 1,127 01-11-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.