Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResScan 4.2?
ResScan 4.2?
I have ResScan Version 04.01.03. I see Version 4.2 is available. What does 4.2 do that mine does not? If I download it can I just install it over my old version? Thanks, Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResScan 4.2???
See this thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ersion-4-2
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2013, 08:12 PM)BobF Wrote: If I download it can I just install it over my old version? Thanks, Bob.
If you're upgrading from a previous version of ResScan, you should be able to install over the top of your old installation. Although you may want to first backup your data folders from the old version of ResScan, just in case.

And, REMEMBER: DO NOT INSTALL THE 3 drivers at the first part of the installation... if you do, your computer will not be able to use any version of ResScan in AT ALL.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ERSION-4-2
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2013, 08:57 PM)zonk Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 08:12 PM)BobF Wrote: If I download it can I just install it over my old version? Thanks, Bob.
If you're upgrading from a previous version of ResScan, you should be able to install over the top of your old installation. Although you may want to first backup your data folders from the old version of ResScan, just in case.

Or just make sure that your SD card isn't in the computer at the time. It should have the data on it.

Quote:And, REMEMBER: DO NOT INSTALL THE 3 drivers at the first part of the installation... if you do, your computer will not be able to use any version of ResScan in AT ALL.

Let's be hypothetical.
I'm not doubting your statement, BUT --- let's talk in terms of damage control. What happens if you install the drivers and WHY?
What does it do to make ResScan inoperable? And better yet, how do you remedy the situation?

If you don't currently have an antidote then I'll have to try to develop one. I am making the bold assumption that MAYBE you can re-install ResScan if you format the hard drive and re-install Windows from scratch. Still that is taking a chance. Better yet I have an old computer that's rotting in the basement. I can use it as my guinea pig. Use an installation monitor to document all system changes so I can work backwards. I caught a nasty virus at one time and this is the method I used to remove it, by charting the damage it did and then working backwards. Unless it "calls home" to compare notes, in which I'm screwed but since my other computer isn't hooked up to the internet, I'm safe. But I'll have to check it out because if any program needs an antidote, it's this one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. Thanks for the info about the installation. It does not answer my question of what is newer and more useful in V4.2 over my present version. Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2013, 10:50 PM)BobF Wrote: Hi. Thanks for the info about the installation. It does not answer my question of what is newer and more useful in V4.2 over my present version. Bob.

Bob,

I've spent a couple of hours looking at everything and I haven't seen any significant changes between the previous 4.01_SP1 and 4.2.08.5438 yet.

Most likely there's been some internal changes for Windows 8 compatibility but so far everything else appears to be the same, it does seem like it may be shutting-down a little faster than the previous version.

The major version changes from 3.xx to 4.01_SP1 were subtle as well, I did notice the events on the graphs were aligned much better with other events in the same time frame but that was all I noticed visually, but, 4.01_SP1 was obviously optimized internally, it was much smoother between page transitions than 3.xx was.

They may have changed some of the reporting capabilities between 3.xx and 4.xx but since I don't really use reports I haven't noticed them, there may also be some settings changes for the options available to be uploaded to the S9 series flow generators via the SD card since they've updated the S9 firmware a couple of times in the last year.

Bottom line, other than what I've listed above, the installation archive is about 20 MB smaller, maybe the previous version still had debug information in it and now they've stripped it out. I'm just guessing but that could explain the smaller size.

Remember, newer software is ALWAYS better software! Dielaughing

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ren. Thanks for the great info. That's what I wanted to know. Regards, Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2013, 10:47 PM)Ugly Wrote: What happens if you install the drivers and WHY?
What does it do to make ResScan inoperable? And better yet, how do you remedy the situation?

Sean,

Other people have reported that it will cause the program to lock-up.

My educated guess from having worked in IT for 23 years is that most likely the ResMed drivers are going to look for a ResMed "branded" piece of hardware with a unique hardware identifier, so, when the ResMed driver tries to load and it cannot find the appropriately branded hardware it causes ResScan to simply lock-up. It's probably just waiting for the USB or serial device to be attached but for all intents and purposes, ResScan is locked-up since it doesn't see the device has been attached and it won't continue loading the program. I've seen other proprietary (Vertical Market) applications do this while looking for a dongle or some other type of proprietary hardware the program expects to find.

If the ResScan (technically InstallShield) un-installer didn't remove all the instances of all the ResScan driver GUID's in the registry then you'd have to manually track them down and delete them before re-installing ResScan, this time without any of the 3 device drivers being selected.

The other option is just buy another computer! Too-funny

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2013, 10:50 PM)BobF Wrote: Hi. Thanks for the info about the installation. It does not answer my question of what is newer and more useful in V4.2 over my present version. Bob.

Every good user manual will describe the changes made from one version to the next. That is why it is NOT described in the ResScan manual.

The previous version was 4.01.013
The new version is 4.2.08.5438
What else can I scare up for you?
Not much. I guess they want you to believe it's new and improved and either you take their word for it or find out for yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2013, 11:48 PM)TheWerkz Wrote: If the ResScan (technically InstallShield) un-installer didn't remove all the instances of all the ResScan driver GUID's in the registry then you'd have to manually track them down and delete them before re-installing ResScan, this time without any of the 3 device drivers being selected.

OK as I've said, I had a nasty virus at one time (C2.LOP) which found me before I had sufficient anti virus signatures to defeat it. I had to reformat the hard drive and deliberately track down every system change it made in order to defeat it. I'll have to do the same with this. My job to save the world? No. But if it came by accident that some unwary/inexperienced/tired/drunk/new user did it by mistake, there should be a way out of it.
I don't program though; I DE-program.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone able to generate a Resscan report so I can send to provider? famewolf 3 540 02-02-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  ResScan problem reading SD card on Windows 10 PC jeffparker 11 1,310 09-09-2022, 08:13 AM
Last Post: GavinG
  Resscan software gifly 11 2,297 11-28-2021, 12:57 PM
Last Post: ScottZZZ
  Evaluating ResScan 5.9, but S. Manz 7 752 08-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Last Post: S. Manz
  [Equipment] AirSense10 SD card data movement on ResScan software Maury54 6 1,474 07-21-2020, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] ResMed screen broken/ResScan settings jstewart 3 2,065 03-14-2020, 11:00 AM
Last Post: jstewart
  ResScan software quick question Broomstick 3 1,199 11-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Broomstick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.