Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResScan CPAP Reporting Software (OLD version: 5.5) [Archived Discussions]
Arrow 
ResScan CPAP Reporting Software (OLD version: 5.5) [Archived Discussions]
Quote:Admin Note:
This thread is now archived and closed to new replies.  If you have a question regarding ResScan, please start a new thread here in the Software Support Forum.

Quote:NOTICE:  This thread discusses an OLD VERSION of the ResScan software.    Please see this thread for information on how to obtain the new version:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...hines-only

(login required, if need be, please register for a free forum account HERE)

[Note:  parts of this thread were copied over from our old forum (thread started in April, 2010);  some posts have not been included for the sake of brevity, and some posts have been cleaned up for clarity, accuracy & updated info]

~ How to obtain the ResScan CPAP data reporting software for free ~

Please note:  ResScan will only work with ResMed brand CPAP machines.  For free software that will work with other brands of CPAP machines, go to our Private Files & Links area where you'll find a thread about the free "SleepyHead" software package. (login required - register here for a free Apnea Board account).

healthcareworker Wrote:
Quote:OK, my fellow apnea board friends, thanks to my boss, I have gotten access to the ResMed ResScan patient data management software and manuals. (Edit: now updated to version 5.5)

According to ResMed: "It's an easy and flexible patient management system providing excellent insights into therapy to enable better outcomes". This helps you monitor and evaluate all the data coming out of your ResMed machine.

To see if the current version of ResScan is compatible with your ResMed machine, please download this PDF file: Compatibility List (from ResMed's web site). [admin note:  this is an old list - ResScan ver. 5.5 is compatible with all the listed machines, plus the new AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 machines]

In the spirit of this board, I'm making it available to all registered apnea board members.

Supersleeper complied with my email request to make the download links private, available to members only.

Please see the post in the Private Files & Links area (near the bottom of the forums area) on how to get this software for free, SuperSleeper set that forum up so that only registered members can see it.

To access the link for the software, you'll need to log in, then click on this link to my post in the Private Files & Links area:

I'd like this thread here to be for people to discuss the use of this software. I have no experience with this software (yet). But I need to learn about it eventually.

After you start using this software, please post your thoughts on it in this thread!

Screenshot:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12]

Also, for the ResScan Report Interpretation Guide, (in PDF form; 7.2 Megabytes), click here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: ResScan CPAP Reporting Software - copied from old forum]
A Note on installing ResScan

After you install the ResScan software, you'll need to select "ALL DATA" when downloading the data from the SD card, otherwise you can't download all your historical data.

When you start the software, on the download page is a box where you can select to download Summary Data, Detailed Data, or All Data. See the screenshot (below) of that selection box. There is also a box on that same page you can check to SAVE your selection for all downloads:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=60]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

RE: ResScan CPAP Reporting Software (current version: 3.16) [copied from old forum]
jsthomps Wrote:I have using ResScan for a month now and the data is very interesting. Some data is self-evident but I don't understand a lot of it. Perhaps someone can shed light on the following:

AHI and AI (events/hr)
Apnea or hypopnea events (sec) Aperiodic
Flow limitation (flat to round)
What does "flat to round" mean?
Flow (L/min)
Leak (L/sec)
Minute ventilation (L/min)
Snore (quiet to loud)
How is snore volume measured (microphone)?

Thanks,
Scott
RE: ResScan CPAP Reporting Software (current version: 3.16) [copied from old forum]
jsthomps,(time=1277734681) Wrote:I have using ResScan for a month now and the data is very interesting. Some data is self-evident but I don't understand a lot of it. Perhaps someone can shed light on the following:
Hi Scott and welcome to Apnea Board!

I'm not a Sleep Technician, but I'll do my best to answer based upon what I've learned in various places on the Internet. Maybe others with more experience can add to this, but here's what I've learned:

AHI and AI (events/hr)
AHI is Apnea/Hypopnea Index; AI is Apnea Index; HI is Hypopnea Index. AI + HI = AHI, so AHI is the combined number of Apnea and Hypopnea events per hour. An Apnea event is a cessation of breathing for 10 or more seconds during sleep while a Hypopnea is an episode of diminished breathing during sleep, caused by a partial airway obstruction, and resulting in arousal. Usually accompanied by oxygen desaturation. Hypopneas may be just as serious as apneas and have the same troublesome effects.

Apnea or hypopnea events (sec) Aperiodic
"Aperiodic" means "occurring without periodicity" or "irregular", but as I'm not a sleep technician, I really don't understand what this is, or the significance of it. Maybe someone else can help here.

Flow limitation (flat to round)
A Flow Limitation is a partial closure of the upper airway, which impedes the flow of air into the lungs. According to ResMed, this is one of the 3 main parameters they use in determining effective auto-titration. The 3 parameters are flow limitation, snore, and apnea.

What does "flat to round" mean?
This has to do with how the graph "looks". Basically, when using a mathematical representation of the shape of the breath (flow time curve) to indicate the state of the upper airway, a "round" shape denotes an open patent airway while a "flattened" shape indicates a flow limited airway. So, flat is bad, round is good.

Flow (L/min)
Flow is an estimate of the airflow entering the lungs.It is derived by taking the total flow and then removing the leak and mask vent flow components.

Leak (L/sec)
Leak is an estimate of the total rate of air escaping due to mouth and mask leaks. It is derived by analyzing the inspiratory and expiratory airflows, together with the expected mask vent flows. High or changing leak rates may affect the accuracy of other measurements.

Minute ventilation (L/min)
Minute Ventilation is the volume of air breathed in (or out) within any 60 second period.

Snore (quiet to loud)
Snore or "Snore Index" is the measure of the amplitude of pressure wave generated by a patient's snoring

How is snore volume measured (microphone)?
There is a secret microphone that records your snoring and sends it to ResMed, and thanks to Homeland Security and the Patriot Act, also records your private bedtime talk and sends that to the National Security Agency for real-time terrorist analysis...

Okay, not really. Wink Big Grin

There is no microphone. It is an estimate of the loudness of your snoring based upon the amplitude of the pressure wave of the snore - pressure is measured to get this reading, not sound waves.

Here are ResMed's definitions of some of the various terms used in ResScan:

Compliance

Usage = the time that a patient receives therapy from the device.

Used Days > X hours Y minutes = the total number of days where Daily Usage exceeded the compliance threshold (X hours Y minutes).

% Used Days > X hours Y minutes = % Used Days calculates the percentage of Used Days out of the total number of days selected.

Total Hours Used = the total patient Usage over a selected time range.

Events

Apnea = the temporary absence or cessation of breathing. An apnea is scored when there is reduction in breathing by 75% of the baseline breathing for at least 10 seconds.

Obstructive Apnea = when there is a physical closing of the upper airway. Central Apnea = when the upper airway remains open.

Unknown Apnea
= when accurate determination of whether the apnea is obstructive or central is not possible, due to the leak at any time during the apnea being higher than 30 L/min.

Hypopnea = episode of shallow or slow breathing during sleep. A hypopnea is scored when there is a reduction in breathing by 50% of baseline breathing for 10 seconds or more. The event is scored after 10 seconds of the hypopnea.

AHI = Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) = calculated by adding together the total number of apnea and hypopnea events over a period of time. For statistics, it is the total number of events divided by total Daily Usage. For graphs, the AHI count is incremented at the occurrence of every event and reset every hour.

Key Respiratory Parameters

Leak = an estimate of the total rate of air escaping due to mouth and mask leaks. It is derived by analyzing the inspiratory and expiratory airflows, together with the expected mask vent flows. High or changing leak rates may affect the accuracy of other measurements.

Tidal Volume = the volume of air inspired or expired in one respiratory cycle (breath).

Respiratory Rate = the frequency of breathing, expressed as the number of breaths per minute.

Minute Ventilation = the volume of air breathed in (or out) within any 60 second period.

Flattening = a measurement of partial upper airway obstruction. This measurement is based on the shape of the inspiratory flow-time curve. A flat shape suggests upper airway obstruction.

Snore index = the measure of the amplitude of pressure wave generated by a patient's snoring.

% Spontaneous Triggered Breaths = the percentage of patient breaths that were spontaneously triggered (initiation of IPAP).

% Spontaneous Cycled Breaths = the percentage of patient breaths that were spontaneously cycled (termination of IPAP and changing to EPAP).

Oxygen Desaturation Index
= the mean value of the number of drops in oxygen saturation per hour. Flow = an estimate of the airflow entering the lungs.It is derived by taking the total flow and then removing the leak and mask vent flow components.

Flow Limitation = a measurement of partial upper airway obstruction.

Statistics

95th Percentile = the value exceeded during the selected range for 5% of the time.

Median = the median value recorded during the selected range.

Maximum = the maximum value recorded during the selected range.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

You might want to download the ResScan Data Management Guide(s), in PDF form from the ResMed website:

http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...er_eng.pdf

http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...er_eng.pdf
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Hosenose Wrote:I've had my S9 auto and software for about 5 days now. I really like the machine. In case anyone from ResMed is monitoring this, the reason I bought the S9 was for the software availability on this site. Had the software not been available, I would have opted for "Brand B." So thanks to everyone who made that possible.

I've played around with running in CPAP mode and in APAP mode. CPAP at 11 cm is what the sleep tech insisted was the correct and only pressure for me regardless of anything but large weight gain/loss, position, colds, etc. Really rigid mindset that rubbed my fur the wrong way and bolstered my resolve to get an autoset machine. I did so, paid for it out of my own pocket, and enjoy the freedom of being able to look at my own data. It is MY data, after all, isn't it?

Wife is an RN and says about 90% of patients are passive and defer totally to the authority of those in white coats, sometimes to their detriment. The other 10% often get labeled "non-compliant" or "difficult" when they don't automatically go with the flow. I'm not stupid, and I'm not a herd animal. I want to help paddle the boat and not be a passenger, and I resent like heck the "we know what's best for you" attitude that I see in so much of the health care industry (which is where I work, too).

I appreciate the explanation of some of the software's features that others have come forward with. I've been switching back and forth between constant CPAP and APAP modes and watching for differences in the trends. Haven't yet got enough data to correlate what I'm seeing on my Contec 50e pulse oximeter, but it's clear the autoset mode results in lower overall pressure, and less of the feeling that I was blowing up balloons all night the next morning.

I wonder, though, if there is any more information out there that could help me further understand what the clinicians are looking for in the data. Seems there should be notes from training seminars, maybe a book, that could help me better understand what is important, and what is not.
Hosenose,(time=1283827198) Wrote:I wonder, though, if there is any more information out there that could help me further understand what the clinicians are looking for in the data. Seems there should be notes from training seminars, maybe a book, that could help me better understand what is important, and what is not.
Your wish is my command.... Wink

It's not specific to ResMed, but fere's a page with a bunch of training "webinars" (seminars on the web) dealing with all sorts of sleep apnea related issues.

For the Clinician-oriented seminars, click on the middle box on the lower part of the page, labeled "Clinical Know-How".

Link:

http://knowhow.cf.respironics1.com/

Here's a much larger source of web workshops for clinicians, it's called the Respironics University, you'll have to register for free access:

https://www.theonlinelearningcenter.com/Default.aspx

I think you'll have to have Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer.

From the above pages, just start clicking around - there's a host of links to other training resources, including a good one here:

http://www.chestnet.org/accp/networks

Enjoy!
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe Jimbo,(time=1284533797) Wrote:Unless I am mistaken, the only data provided by the ResMed S8 Escape II is usage compliance. Using this software, has anyone been able to extract more detailed info from an S8 Escape II? I am aware that other S8s provide the additional information discussed in other posts.
That's correct - I don't think you're going to be able to get any data from your S8 Escape II, except for basic compliance numbers. If anyone knows anything different and has been able to hack this machine, I hope they let us know - but I would bet that it hasn't been done by anyone yet.

Welcome to the forum, Jimbo!

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe Jimbo,(time=1284757391) Wrote:Does this software work properly with the S8 Elite II? I intend to return my S8 Escape II and am inclined to get the S8 Elite II instead, so that I can keep the current humidifier and everything else, but I need to make sure I can use this software with the S8 Elite II.
Yes, it should, Jimbo.

Here's a link to the PDF file listing what CPAP machines ResScan is compatible with. You'll need to look in the column called "ResScan" to see if there is a checkmark there, and there appears to be one for the S8 Elite II.

Here's the file:

http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan-Compatibility.pdf

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe Jimbo,(time=1285012496) Wrote:If we are using the standard SD card in the S9 Elite, is there any need to install the drivers for the ResScan USB Adapter and the ResScan Data Card Reader? I would think not, since those would seem to be for the proprietary adapter and card used with the S8. Does the software work with the S9 using a generic SD card without those ResScan drivers?
Yes, any SD card will work, I think it needs to be at least as large as the one that comes with the machine, which is either 2 or 4 GB, if I'm not mistaken.

If you're using Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7, I'd recommend that you don't install the ResMed drivers at all - you don't need them if you're using an SD card and a standard SD card reader. Try using ResScan without the drivers first. You can always add the drivers later by re-installing ResScan, but you can't go back and easily remove the drivers after they've been installed. And some users have reported that installing the proprietary drivers makes the entire installation non-functional.

Also, any SD card reader will work as well.

See my link in the "Commercial Posts" forum HERE for a direct link to an SD card listing on Amazon, if you don't already have one.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,254 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  problem downloading OSCAR SOFTWARE Bailey104 1 62 03-15-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 146 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 321 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 328 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  The OSCAR 1.5.1 does not see the notes recorded in the earlier version. G. Szabo 2 189 02-26-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Software support for the Astral 150? Peashee888 10 587 02-18-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.