Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResScan Data "Skew" Issue - still in version 3.16?
Question 
ResScan Data "Skew" Issue - still in version 3.16?
There is some sort of data-skew within ResScan, and I've quoted healthcareworker's post from the old forum (below) on how to correct this skew... but I'm wondering, has anyone ever found out that this problem persists in the new version 3.16 of ResScan?

Anyone have any recent news on this?

Thanks
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResScan Data "Skew" Issue - still in version 3.16?
[Re-posting healthcareworker's message concerning ResScan "data skew", copied from old forum]

healthcareworker Wrote:
SuperSleeper,(time=1286813704) Wrote:There is also some sort of "data skew" issue that can contribute to this problem, where in the charts, flow lines, pressures and apnea events don't line up properly, and the effect is accumulative - meaning it gets worse over time. Some people have resolved the issue by re-formatting their SD card frequently so that the errors don't get too bad.
on the data skew thing, found this:

Here's how I fixed my skewed data, at least from here on out:

To check your skew period:

Put your event graph above your flow graph for both view panes. Choose whichever 'time window' best suits for the upper 'navigation' pane, and '5 minutes' for the lower 'detail' pane. Click on one of the most obvious apneas (the longer the better) in the upper pane to get close, then center it as you please in the lower pane. You'll likely see that the event as marked on the lower pane is skewed forward a certain period of time from the identical data in the flow graph in your detail pane.

Take a snapshot of your ResScan 3.10 window and bring it into your favorite image editor. With the rectangle tool, draw a rectangle whose upper right corner sits square in the 'lollipop' icon of your target apnea in the event and whose bottom left corner sits at what you approximate to be the very end of the apnea as it actually appears in the flow data.

Next, create a similar rectangle as a meter to measure the distance from one 1-minute tick-mark to a consecutive minute tick-mark in the minute ruler for the five-minute detail pane.

Divide the width of your minute rectangle by the length of your skew rectangle to get an approximation of the number of minutes your skew is off. Multiply this number by sixty to get the number of seconds instead. (See below.) The only thing is that the data for the hypops seem to be skewed differently. I wonder if there is more than one skew bug here... Either that or I still don't really 'get' how to identify a hypopnea on a graph.

[Image: worsening_data_skew_bug.a.png]

To reset your card and eliminate skew:

I've saved a copy of my sd card from last night and then wiped the card using ResScan. In doing so, the card only contained settings data only. I put the card into my machine and it accepted the wiped card, but did not wipe all the accrued summary data still on the machine. I locked the card before putting it into the usb card reader on my computer, then downloaded and discarded duplicate data. All of my data for last night (and the nap too) are now lining up correctly as shown below. Data for the previous skewed nights remain skewed - not much to be done about that. I would amend best practices for card use thus:

[Image: reset_skew_bug.a.png]

Amended Best Practices:

* Open ResScan - allow it to finish opening.
* Lock your SD card.
* Stick the SD card in the reader and allow ResScan to identify the card with the 'Quick Start' feature.
* Select your patient ID.
* 'View Data'.
* 'Discard Duplicate Data'. (I know I've said it before... Flow data erasure is not something that should be so easily accomplished. There should be a check box that allows a default setting the first time. If you are about to erase data from your patient record, you should be asked whether you really want to delete it. It should also be a default setting in tools -> options. I hope ResMed is reading... Smile )
* Read your data.
* Save. (If you're viewing nap data, you could choose not to save here, and wait until your night has finished to save it for real.)
* From here, since the card is locked, it probably doesn't matter if you close ResScan first. It can't change your card.
* Remember to unlock your card when you put it back into the machine.

There also needs to be a more obvious method for wiping the SD card. 'Tools' -> 'Device Settings' -> 'scroll around until you find S9' -> 'erase all data?' is not an intuitive way to wipe the card. How about 'Tools' -> 'Wipe and Reset Device Settings on Card'?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2012, 03:26 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: There is some sort of data-skew within ResScan, and I've quoted healthcareworker's post from the old forum (below) on how to correct this skew... but I'm wondering, has anyone ever found out that this problem persists in the new version 3.16 of ResScan?

Anyone have any recent news on this?

Thanks

Do you think that the "skew" problem is in the ResScan Software or in the Software Version in the S9 itself?

If it is in the Software Version in the S9 itself, it may have already been corrected in the S9s which were more recently manufactured.

But, if it is in the ResScan Software, you should be able to tell us if the "Skew" still exists - since you are using the ResScan Version 3.16 and you have not formatted your SD card in quite some time. Just 1 more thing to add to your list of Things To Do.

Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2012, 05:38 PM)Steven Wrote: Do you think that the "skew" problem is in the ResScan Software or in the Software Version in the S9 itself?

If it is in the Software Version in the S9 itself, it may have already been corrected in the S9s which were more recently manufactured.

But, if it is in the ResScan Software, you should be able to tell us if the "Skew" still exists - since you are using the ResScan Version 3.16 and you have not formatted your SD card in quite some time. Just 1 more thing to add to your list of Things To Do.

Yeah, I was kind of hoping that one of you had checked this out... one more thing to add my list, yep. Wink

Right, I should be able to tell, just need to set some time to do it. I'm just trying to remember what was the consensus conclusion on this issue when it all started... whether it was a ResScan issue or an S9 firmware issue?

There needs to be about 6 more hours in every day. That would help things quite a bit, methinks. Too-funny
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2012, 05:56 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Yeah, I was kind of hoping that one of you had checked this out

I would do it, but I format my SD card once a week, so I never see that "skew".

This is my 3rd machine

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2012, 06:02 PM)Steven Wrote:
(03-03-2012, 05:56 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Yeah, I was kind of hoping that one of you had checked this out

Steven, if you still have the link to the skew video (the one we got in trouble for posting here before), could you PM that to me so I can bookmark for later use when I get some time to investigate this?

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

I don,t format the SD card and don,t think there is a need as the S9 does it every time the card insert after downloading.
If the S9 doesn't like what it see it would reject the card and gives the option to delete or card won,t be accepted.
I have had this issue in the past as well others reported the same thing probably due to virus in the computer and now i lock the card before downloading and never seen this issue again.

Was there in the old forum a tutorial how to fix data skew or may be seen it somewhere else Dont-know

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2012, 06:49 PM)zonk Wrote: Was there in the old forum a tutorial how to fix data skew or may be seen it somewhere else Dont-know

Hi zonk, scroll up a bit.. I think that's the tutorial you're talking about, right?

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2012, 06:45 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:

Steven, if you still have the link to the skew video (the one we got in trouble for posting here before), could you PM that to me so I can bookmark for later use when I get some time to investigate this?

DONE

The video does seem to suggest that the S9 is the culprit & not the ResScan Software.

This is my 3rd machine

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2012, 10:25 AM)Steven Wrote:
(03-03-2012, 06:45 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Steven, if you still have the link to the skew video (the one we got in trouble for posting here before), could you PM that to me so I can bookmark for later use when I get some time to investigate this?

DONE

The video does seem to suggest that the S9 is the culprit & not the ResScan Software.

Thanks Steven, that's a bummer. No chance of fixing this then unless they've corrected the skew issue in the newest S9 firmware and I sure don't want to buy a new machine just for that. Unless they can somehow account for the error automatically within ResScan (assuming it can extract out the firmware version number and adjust the skew effect accordingly). That's asking a lot, I guess, especially when ResMed doesn't admit to the issue in the first place. Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 72 8 hours ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  New version doesn't find profile BlueSky1958 7 87 03-26-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 93 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Sad Instructions do NOT address hours used issue Plmnb 15 291 03-19-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,335 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 179 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 373 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.