Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResScan is better than SleepyHead
Gross 
ResScan is better than SleepyHead
Not really; the title is just to get your attention.

If you have ever posted here that ResScan is inferior, I do not agree with you as I have not found this to be the case. I have asked several members who have made the statement that SleepyHead is better, to explain "how so" and have only received display preference type responses or admissions that they were incorrectly transferring their experiences with another brand software.

My experience has been that they both display all the available data in similar but different formats. ResScan does not support all platforms. However I have never found incorrect information on the ResScan presentation whereas I always get some incorrect and nonsensical information on the SleepyHead Summary display and I see it in the screen prints on the forum.

I understand that the forum finds it convenient, for consultation purposes, to print screen the SleepyHead main page because it combines both overview and graphs in one picture. That is all well and good. However it is not helpful to inaccurately review valuable tools.

If you make a statement like I am referring to you should provide the reason. Don't just tack on the disparaging remark against ResScan every time someone asks about software.

Thanks

if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResScan is better than SleepyHead
I totally agree with you. Why just yesterday SH inaccurately reported my minimum pressure for the night (for the first time I recall) while ResScan got it right. Use all available data together with your own common sense and knowledge base.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2015, 08:06 AM)MobileBasset Wrote: ResScan does not support all platforms.

That part right there is what does it for me. I have a Macbook Pro for work, and run Ubuntu at home and am freeeeeeee from Windows lalala....
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see why one should have to explain differing preferences.

We are all different and we have different preferences. I just don't like ResScan much and I do like SleepyHead and I gave both of them a good long trial.

If your preferences are the other way I would not presume to ask you why. I just assume you are not me and your preferences are not mine. Both are decent but not perfect programs that do the job about as well.

I only have to justify my preferences to myself, not to anyone else, and if you tell me that I must justify my preferences you are, to my mind, being rather presumptuous and impolite.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I couldn't get ResScan to display graphs when Sleepyhead did it automatically.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
I have had no trouble with ResScan. I use both ResScan and Sleepyhead.
Started with ResScan when I had my Resmed S8 machine and it was the only software that was available and worked with the S8.

I loaded up Sleepyhead and started using it when I got my new S9 machine. I currently use both. My sleep doc likes the ResScan reports and I like the event chart for a quick look, although I think that ResScan makes the event situation look worse than Sleepyhead does but that may be just me. I like the graphs well enough - maybe even a little better than Sleepyhead. I like the reports better from ResScan.

Things that I prefer about Sleepyhead:

Loads quickly
Imports quickly
I find it easier to drill down to detailed info on the graphs
I find it easier to find exact connections from one graph to another
I find it easier to re-arrange the graphical data
I like the fact that there is so much data available on one page

In summary, there are things that I like about both pieces of software. I do find myself using Sleepyhead more when I want to check something out especially in terms of correlations.

I think that MobileBassett may be reacting to the disparagement that ResScan receives sometimes. I have read some complaints about ResScan that I find difficult to understand because as far as I know they are not accurate..

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Downloaded SleepyHead the other week, like it much better than the other one and really does cool stuff
User friendly, download done with no fuss, and data saved automatically when you close the software (unlike the other one)

Heaps of information and shows "tidal volume", while the other one hide it from view for "AutoSet" users
Sent a donation already, amazing open source software, does not only support one machine but several machines and some oximters
Even, when you close the program, a pop window, remind you to place the SD card back in the machine ... how cool is that
You don't need to be under the mercy of those lousy manufacturers that treat like criminal when you want to use their software and they tell you the software is not intended for you

Many thanks to Mark and his gang, doing great service to sleep apnea community

[Image: Tea-Pot.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
All good points, but I have to agree with eseedhouse......no one should have to explain their preferences, unless they want to.

I may be wrong, but I've never noticed anyone saying that ResScan was "inferior".
I've been wrong lots of times.Wink

Now making a statement that Sleepyhead gives more detailed data, or is easier to use, (which I've made once or twice) is not the same as saying that ResScan is "inferior".

In responding to many posts from folk who appear to be already using ResScan, and they are still asking for help, then I always recommend downloading Sleepyhead and posting their data so it can be looked at.

I personally use Encore Basic and Sleepyhead software and compare my data. If I used a CPAP that supported ResScan, then I would download it too. I can't honestly say that Encore Basic is better than Sleepyhead, because it's not, but it has it's good points.

Last I heard, this is a free country. Use the Software that gives you what you want, and is easiest for you to use.
No need to apologize or give reason for doing so.
OpalRose
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2015, 03:36 PM)zonk Wrote: Many thanks to Mark and his gang, doing great service to sleep apnea community

[Image: Tea-Pot.jpg]

Also thanks to SuperSleeper and Apnea Board for hosting the download

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO, SleepyHead (open source and free) is superior ... no-brainer Coffee
Because its the work of one man and few folks volunteering their time and energy on a shoestring budget derived from donations
Also SleepyHead supports numerous machines:
[ResMed S9, AirSense 10, AirCurve 10, Philips Respirioncs System One, Fisher & Paykel ICON & ICON+ and DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
As of version 0.9.8, SleepyHead works with the full range of Contec CMS50 series of Oximeters (and clones, like Pulox) either standalone or synced with CPAP data. You will need to install the Contac driver from this link.
SleepyHead also supports ResMed and PR System One oximeter attachments and file imports from ChoiceMMed MD300W1 oximeters]

While ResScan people have unlimited resources from a multi national company and only support their machines

Last but not least, SleepyHead works with windows and Mac computers .. ResScan only works with windows

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 95 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,338 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 180 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 375 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 436 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
Thumbsup ResScan 7.0 now available! [old version] SuperSleeper 54 17,637 12-30-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  OSCAR and ResScan export to csv notis58 0 611 04-24-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: notis58

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.