Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResScan or Sleepyhead or ?? for S9 Autoset
ResScan or Sleepyhead or ?? for S9 Autoset
Hi,

First, a big thank you to everyone who participates in this Forum; it is very helpful.

I have just been diagnosed with very severe OSA (AHI = 60) and will receive my ResMed S9 Autoset in a few days. I also plan to buy a pulse oximeter.

I hope to reduce the AHI (and required xPAP pressure requirements) through weight loss & sleeping position changes and will self titrate over the next 6-12+ months. Managing through information is important...the cost difference between the S9 vs CMS50+ pulse ox is not.

Which software provides the best information for my goal?
Thanks in advance.
Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResScan or Sleepyhead or ?? for S9 Autoset
Hi Seta45,
WELCOME! to the forum.! There is lots of great information here.
Both software packages "Sleepyhead" and "ReScan" are good. Some people use both packages.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Eh, they both offer the same information, just differently. I tried both for a little over a month.

I prefer SleepyHead. For one, I don't regularly get ticked at all the "this patient is/is not compliant" messages and feel. ResScan is not for the user but for the suppliers or medical professional so it is geared toward them not us. But a lot of people love it. Sleepyhead, on the other hand, is written by a user for a user. It is fairly simple to understand and the text is bigger for those of us with old eyes. It has some quirks, though, and is written as open source by a man who also has a life vs a well-paid software designer.

I suggest you download and install both then decide for yourself. However, if your doc demands the compliance information for insurance or torture reasons, they probably will not accept stuff from SH. Or you could just make a copy of the card onto another card and submit that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
SH works with windows and Mac computers also supports CMS50 Oximeters
RS windows based

there are more info about RS. download both and see which one you prefer
some prefer one or the other, I like the way RS shows statistics, summary and detailed data graphs
usually check leak, pressure, snore, flow limitation, AHI graphs (shows types of apnea and duration of each apnea in sec)

Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried both and I decided to stick with ResScan. It is a software written for DME's, multiple patient management, compliance reporting, etc., but it does have one big advantage, you can manage the settings for your machine in the software, including writing notes when you make changes so you can remember when you did it. Some people find it cumbersome (can't disagree).

I also had a glitch with Sleepyhead, it miscalculated the last seven days of usage time. Gets the clock times right, just undercalculates the usage hours. After seven days, it "fixes" the data and everything was fine, but it was always a week behind. It also doesn't have the "unintentional leak" calculation, so you have to do a little bit of math yourself with your mask to see what the "intentional" leak is to remove it from the displayed numbers. All in all, it is an incredible program and if I didn't have an option I would be using it. It is such a help to many people.

Short answer, get both and play with them. Use whatever one works best for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why not use both and decide which you prefer, or still use both of them.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2013, 09:22 AM)zimlich Wrote: Why not use both and decide which you prefer, or still use both of them.
Mary

Actually I thought I tried it once and one program overwrote the other. I just tried it again. I may well have been mistaken since it seems SleepyHead read the card used solely by ResScan without any complaints. So what happened initially to cause it to lose everything?
Damned if I know.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2013, 12:49 PM)Ugly Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 09:22 AM)zimlich Wrote: Why not use both and decide which you prefer, or still use both of them.
Mary

Actually I thought I tried it once and one program overwrote the other. I just tried it again. I may well have been mistaken since it seems SleepyHead read the card used solely by ResScan without any complaints. So what happened initially to cause it to lose everything?
Damned if I know.

Hi Sean,

Whenever removing an SD Card (or USB card or other removable storage) from the computer it is important to first tell the removable memory to Eject.

For example, in my Windows XP computer I go to My Computer (using the Start menu), find the removable drive which I want to remove, and use the Right Mouse Button to select Eject. After waiting several seconds the drive will be ready to be removed without risk of losing data. If the SD Card is removed without first Ejecting the drive, data could be lost or the card may be damaged and need to be reformatted.

It is also safest when removing the SD Card from the machine to first turn off the machine, wait 10 or 15 seconds for the machine to finish writing to the SD Card, remove the power cord (at the wall or at the power brick, not at the machine), wait another 5 or 10 seconds until the power brick has discharged, and then remove the card.

Following the above regimen, I no longer occasionally lose data or need to reformat the SD Card.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use both ResScan and Sleepyhead on my windows 7 64-bit computer. I've not experienced any issues with lost data (~25 upload events). It is random which software is opened first and which is opened second. I close both software plus click on the icon to remove a storage device before removing the SD card. I receive an error saying that ResScan is open and using the data even though it is indeed closed. I simply remove the SD card without issue. Grrr to ResScan for the error code....
Post Reply Post Reply
Memory cards, such as the one CPAP machines use, are "hot swappable", meaning you do not have to "eject" them first. As long as they are not in use, meaning being read or written to, you can just remove it.

I close down Sleepyhead, wait a second, then pull out the card.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 88 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,335 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 179 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 372 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 428 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
Thumbsup ResScan 7.0 now available! [old version] SuperSleeper 54 17,618 12-30-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  OSCAR and ResScan export to csv notis58 0 609 04-24-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: notis58

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.