Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResScan or Sleepyhead?
RE: ResScan or Sleepyhead?
(02-01-2014, 05:41 PM)me50 Wrote:
(02-01-2014, 05:15 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(02-01-2014, 04:56 PM)me50 Wrote: You get used to windows 8 pretty fast. it is different but once you figure it out, it isn't bad. what I don't like is that now you have to pay for programs that were included in the previous windows programs.

Me50 you are the first person I have come across that actually doesn't mind Windows 8.
You must be very clever. I didn't realise you had to pay for program's, that's not very enticing.

Oh, I minded windows 8. We had no choice if we wanted to replace our broken laptop. I just learned my way around it over time. If I had a choice, I would have rather stayed with windows 7. We also don't have word, excel, etc. included in windows 8 and I am not going to buy it

Did you get 8.1 when it came out, because I hear that fixed up a few of the problems?
I was too scared to even go to 7, I love my XP. I know one day I am going to have to update.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2014, 06:11 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(02-01-2014, 05:41 PM)me50 Wrote:
(02-01-2014, 05:15 PM)Gabby Wrote: Me50 you are the first person I have come across that actually doesn't mind Windows 8.
You must be very clever. I didn't realise you had to pay for program's, that's not very enticing.

Oh, I minded windows 8. We had no choice if we wanted to replace our broken laptop. I just learned my way around it over time. If I had a choice, I would have rather stayed with windows 7. We also don't have word, excel, etc. included in windows 8 and I am not going to buy it

Did you get 8.1 when it came out, because I hear that fixed up a few of the problems?
I was too scared to even go to 7, I love my XP. I know one day I am going to have to update.

no, I have windows 8. not sure what problems 8.1 was supposed to fix but windows 8 is okay for what we do with the laptop. windows 7 was awesome.
Post Reply Post Reply
Win 8.1 is really a (semi) new version and no mainly a big fix -- Windows updates largely take care of bugs.

Windows 8 is essentially Win 2012 "workstation" to go with Windows Server 2012 (same OS really.)

Windows 8.1 is essentially Win 2013 "workstation" to go with Windows Server 2012R2 (same OS really) which is really Windows Server "2013"

I like Windows 7 probably best of all the version, but then for years, I felt that way about Windows XP. For a while, XP was the standard in terms of compatibility, but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue (and there's a way to run XP inside of 7+ so you can get that compatibility if some app demands it and you really must run it.

My wife's laptop is still running Vista (should be Windows 2008) and I really should upgrade that to Windows 7. No compelling reason to go to 8+ but if I were at 8 then 8.1 would be my choice.

YMMV
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sticking with my XP until the very end, until I'm booted off. Somehow I don't think that will be too far away.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2014, 07:59 AM)Gabby Wrote: I'm sticking with my XP until the very end, until I'm booted off. Somehow I don't think that will be too far away.

There will be no one booting you off of XP.

Microsoft Support for XP ends officially April 8, 2014, but that likely will have ALMOST ZERO EFFECT on you since it is unlikely that you ever call Microsoft for support.

It will mean no more bug fixes and more importantly no security updates which might be the largest downside.

Likely you get most of your Windows XP support from the Internet and from friends so that will continue pretty much as long as you need it.

The main reason you will leave XP is for a NEW COMPUTER.

Sooner or later, you will want a new computer, or you current one will die and that will force you off XP.

Even then if you are determined you will likely be able to purchase computers running XP on eBay or some such site for decades to come.

You can in fact, buy a new computer with Windows 7 or 8 and install XP WITHIN it, so that you effectively have BOTH Systems.

If you are happy, stay with it. I have 2 XP computers still here, and a couple of Windows 2003 Servers (this is almost the same version as XP but for the server OS.)

My media machine is a Windows 7 (feeds the big TV) and my wife is still using Vista, but I have essentially switched my own laptop to 8.1 and can live with it.

I do NOT like the new interface/desktop, but I am largely a "command line" user anyway and the new interface doesn't really change HOW the apps work, only how you START THEM.

It's the programs that matter the most -- the operating system is just "infrastructure" -- critical to the success but seldom something that needs direct attention until it breaks.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Herbm, the biggest downside is no security updates with Windows XP. Soon as an exploit is found and Microsoft is not going to fix it, it's a free for all for all the script kiddies on the internets.

I remember when Windows 98 had it's support stopped, and an exploit to bypass the login screen was posted ont he internet in days all but rendering windows 98 a joke for security.

Anyways, for people who do sleep logs. Buy an Ipad! Smile I read before going to bed, and check my tablet soon as I wake up and make my sleep log notes using Evernote or the built in Notes app, it works great as it recorded the dates and time that you can look up and copy to the SleepyHEad note field if you wish.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby welcome aboard. You will be in good hands here. There are so many helpful people on this forum whether it be cpap issues (you will have some) or technology issues, you will get good information here. And best of all, when/if you get frustrated with cpap, you will find someone here who will listen AND understand. There are a lot of issues to deal with but as others have said, take them one at a time and soon you will be helping others.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Herb, SnuffySleeper and drgrimes, information about my XP very valuable thanks Herb and also SnuffySleeper worthwhile remembering about the security issues. SSleeper, you did say the magic word though, ipad, which I am very fortunate to have, my kids bought me one last year for my birthday. I love it and it goes everywhere with me. My laptop is still used but I have to admit, less and less these days.
Thanks for your welcome drgrimes, everyone on this site has been fantastic. I must admit I have never had much to do with people from your side of the world and I think you are the friendliest bunch. No one would want to tell me different. Many thanks to all of you.
I have just posted another question, sorry.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I have known a LOT of Aussies, both in person and online, and they have been on average REALLY NICE people compared to folks from most other places.

You just continue to prove this point about Aussie friendliness, Gabby!
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 94 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,337 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 179 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 374 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 434 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
Thumbsup ResScan 7.0 now available! [old version] SuperSleeper 54 17,628 12-30-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  OSCAR and ResScan export to csv notis58 0 611 04-24-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: notis58

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.