Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResScan says doing great, pulse oximeter says not so good!!
RE: ResScan says doing great, pulse oximeter says not so good!!
(07-10-2014, 01:58 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-10-2014, 01:55 PM)Don in Austin Wrote: I am most concerned with the O2 drops accompanied by heart rate surge and awakening.

Don in Austin

did you have an apnea at that time, perhaps something else precipitated the awakening.
The awakening was about the same time O2 saturation dropped to 85% and pulse soared to 100 so I would imagine an apnea woke me up.

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply
instead of guessing, why don't you check the data?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2014, 05:19 PM)diamaunt Wrote: instead of guessing, why don't you check the data?

I don't get the question. A high pulse rate combined with low O2 IS data to me.

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2014, 09:59 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:
(07-10-2014, 05:19 PM)diamaunt Wrote: instead of guessing, why don't you check the data?

it says nothing about what caused it. you are guessing that it was an apnea.

you have data (according to your sig) from the machine available in multiple programs, instead of assuming that it was an apnea, why don't you check the data and see what it says.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2014, 10:17 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-10-2014, 09:59 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:

you have data (according to your sig) from the machine available in multiple programs, instead of assuming that it was an apnea, why don't you check the data and see what it says.

What else would it be? What besides an apnea causes a heart rate spike concurrent with a sharp O2 dip?

It is easy to find the time because I pulled the hose of the mask to go take a pee when I woke up. My machine is set for auto-shutoff when the hose is disconnected so Sleepy Head and ResScan marked the time of awakening. There is nothing out of the ordinary recorded by SleepyHead or ResScan before the awakening and the time of the event that the oximeter captured immediately before awakening.

I am still puzzled by your replies.

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2014, 10:50 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:
(07-10-2014, 09:59 PM)Don in Austin Wrote: I don't get the question. A high pulse rate combined with low O2 IS data to me.

What else would it be? What besides an apnea causes a heart rate spike concurrent with a sharp O2 dip?

Don in Austin

Blood clot? Don't know... Maybe you should ask your doctor about this one. CPAP therapy is working really really well for many of us around here, but there are some things it doesn't fix. Like measles for instance, or maybe AR syndrome.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2014, 11:45 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(07-10-2014, 10:17 PM)diamaunt Wrote: it says nothing about what caused it. you are guessing that it was an apnea.

Don in Austin

Blood clot? Don't know... Maybe you should ask your doctor about this one. CPAP therapy is working really really well for many of us around here, but there are some things it doesn't fix. Like measles for instance, or maybe AR syndrome.

I just thought of something. I wonder if the O2 dip and pulse spike are actually happening when I get out of bed. Because the CPAP hose is unplugged the CPAP obviously records nothing except hose disconnected during this time. The pulse oximeter is not plugged into the CPAP machine although it has that capability for, presumably, a ResMed oximiter. The clocks are not synchronized to the exact minute.

I can test if the O2 dip and pulse spike occur AFTER awakening by pulling the probe off my finger at the same time I disconnect the hose.

I may have fallen into a bogus "cause and effect" assumption.

Might know more after tonight.

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2014, 09:59 PM)Don in Austin Wrote: I don't get the question. A high pulse rate combined with low O2 IS data to me.

It is easy to find the time because I pulled the hose of the mask to go take a pee when I woke up. My machine is set for auto-shutoff when the hose is disconnected so Sleepy Head and ResScan marked the time of awakening. There is nothing out of the ordinary recorded by SleepyHead or ResScan before the awakening and the time of the event that the oximeter captured immediately before awakening.

I am still puzzled by your replies.

Don in Austin

Two thoughts?

Cryptic replies can be tough to understand I agree...

About your comment:

Quote:What else would it be? What besides an apnea causes a heart rate spike concurrent with a sharp O2 dip?

Realizing I am *NOT* a doctor, I would say a large number of different things *could* cause the above, and if you can't prove it to be an OSA-related event, and if it happens again, I would strongly think about discussing this with my doctor.

A heart 'event' could cause the O2 drop - besides it being the other way round. Just a thought? Classic 'CHF' issue (Congestive Heart Failure) - please note - a thousand different issues could be the cause, as well as just a random issue.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2014, 12:02 AM)Don in Austin Wrote: What else would it be? What besides an apnea causes a heart rate spike concurrent with a sharp O2 dip?
Don in Austin

I just thought of something. I wonder if the O2 dip and pulse spike are actually happening when I get out of bed. Because the CPAP hose is unplugged the CPAP obviously records nothing except hose disconnected during this time. The pulse oximeter is not plugged into the CPAP machine although it has that capability for, presumably, a ResMed oximiter. The clocks are not synchronized to the exact minute.

Don, yes, getting out of bed *will* cause O2 and pulse changes, I've seen the same thing on an individual who's O2 levels I monitor.

moving your hand around can cause also brief changes in the O2 reading, as it readjusts to the conditions.

If I missed your mentioning that you got up at that time, I apologize, since I'll give you 99% odds that your getting up is the cause both of the O2 dip and your elevated pulse rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2014, 01:41 AM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-11-2014, 12:02 AM)Don in Austin Wrote: What else would it be? What besides an apnea causes a heart rate spike concurrent with a sharp O2 dip?
Don in Austin

Don, yes, getting out of bed *will* cause O2 and pulse changes, I've seen the same thing on an individual who's O2 levels I monitor.

moving your hand around can cause also brief changes in the O2 reading, as it readjusts to the conditions.

If I missed your mentioning that you got up at that time, I apologize, since I'll give you 99% odds that your getting up is the cause both of the O2 dip and your elevated pulse rate.

I did a test session with the oximeter swinging my hand as hard as I could to see if it produced artifacts. O2 would remain steady, but pulse rate dropped a few beats.

I watched the pulse oximeter when I got up last night it stayed steady.

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 72 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,222 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,812 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 90 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.