Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] What Is Clear Airway on Sleepyhead Data
RE: What Is Clear Airway on Sleepyhead Data
It seems that when the machine can't determine if the apnea is a OA or a CA, it simply lists it as an apnea or an unknown apnea.

(We don't see two separate CA's.)

Also, it's common for the numbers to be off a tad like that. Some kind of round-off error in one of the programs. People have reporting seeing it with both Respironics and ResMed machines.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2013, 02:14 PM)Sleepster Wrote: It seems that when the machine can't determine if the apnea is a OA or a CA, it simply lists it as an apnea or an unknown apnea.

(We don't see two separate CA's.)

Also, it's common for the numbers to be off a tad like that. Some kind of round-off error in one of the programs. People have reporting seeing it with both Respironics and ResMed machines.

yep, it seems to me that both software are recording basically the same info
Post Reply Post Reply
The data is recorded by the CPAP machine. The software interprets that data. SleepyHead uses a different algorithm than ResScan to make thse interpretations, thus the slight differences sometimes reported for things like the AHI.

Mark used to talk about some of the stuff he had to do to be able to figure out what the data meant and how to interpret it.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2013, 04:41 PM)Sleepster Wrote: The data is recorded by the CPAP machine. The software interprets that data. SleepyHead uses a different algorithm than ResScan to make thse interpretations, thus the slight differences sometimes reported for things like the AHI.

Mark used to talk about some of the stuff he had to do to be able to figure out what the data meant and how to interpret it.

my bad for wording it wrong. I was typing and saw what time it was and had to get some errands done and rushed. both software had basically the same information and there wasn't enough of a difference to cause me concern. I like both of them for different reasons.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most people agree that it's best to have both.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2013, 01:06 PM)me50 Wrote: I selected a day that I had numbers in all 4 types and compared them in SH and ResScan and this is what I got:

Rescan:

Hypopnea: 1.1
Obstructive .2
Central .1
Unknown .2

SH:
Hypopnea: 1.17
Obstructive: .21
Central: .21
Unknown: .21

both add up to 1.8 AHI in the software but in ResScan the numbers don't add up to 1.8 AHI (.1 is unaccounted for).

I think it's just a matter of how the data is displayed - Sleepyhead shows 2 decimal places and ResScan truncates to one decimal place (instead of rounding off). I've checked quite a few days of my records and that seems to be the consistent difference between the two.

SH also gives you the facility to define your own event, which could be a percentage reduction in breathing over a given number of seconds. This can throw up quite a lot of marginal events which the machine (S9 in my case) doesn't flag. It also picks up events during the pressure ramp-up phase, which are ignored by the machine.

I have both ResScan and SH, and I must say that SH is (for my needs) a far superior product.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,405 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 123 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 237 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 273 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 911 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  String of open airway events vinegarben 34 3,901 02-16-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.