CPAP Pressure: 13-18.5 max 20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Rescan vs Sleepyhead ?
Just wondering since I have the S9 vpap resmed
Would I get more info from Rescan or should I stay
With SLeepyHead ?

Think in the morning. Act in the noon. Eat in the evening. Sleep in the night.
William Blake

Sleep-well
03-09-2014 07:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Rescan vs Sleepyhead ?
there are good things about each of them. I have both programs and download all my data into both. I look at SH more than ResScan. It really is personal preference. SH is easier to read the graphs except the leaks are easier in ResScan b/c they have a colored line to show if the leaks went over the recommended leak rate. For most of my data, I prefer SH. YMMV
03-09-2014 07:37 AM
Iceracer Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus FF Swift FX and F & P HC405 Flexifit
Humidifier: Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 13-18.5 max 20

Other Comments:

Awesome thx

Think in the morning. Act in the noon. Eat in the evening. Sleep in the night.
William Blake

Sleep-well
03-09-2014 08:02 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I use both. Sleepyhead is quicker and easier to use, with a more intuitive interface and much easier to zoom in and move around. Sleepyhead also works with both ResMed and Philips machines (with some limitations) which is important to me as I have used both. ResScan takes a lot more mouse clicks to get anything done, but is probably more robust (no bugs) and produces some very professional looking reports.

In either case it's important to download your data regularly as ResMed machines overwrite the "high frequency" data (eg flow rate, mask pressure) after seven days! Sheer lunacy, but there it is.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-09-2014 08:59 AM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

I too use both, every day.

Of those that use both, perhaps I have a higher opinion of Rescan than most.

Somewhere around here I wrote a comparison of what each does better.

Rescan is MUCH better at dealing with "missing sessions" if you ever forget to put the SDCard back in the machine and the reports in Rescan are very nice and many times better than just taking screen shots of SleepyHead if you are going to show them to the sleep doc.

Also, the sleep docs expect to see Rescan reports.

Rescan lets me summarize 1 month, 1 week, etc. averages so much easier (Sleepy Head doesn't really have this feature.)

I far prefer the SleepyHead single day view, but the Rescan summary for the entire history seems much easier to read, especially due to those missed sessions in SleepyHead (I am missing 2 days a couple of short sessions in SleepyHead where Rescan can work for every session without the detailed data.)

The daily view one SleepyHead is much more informative and better organized, even allowing you to make and keep notes on things like Weight and how you feel.

Being able to quickly separate out one session (a click or two on the "Session Information" colored bar segments) in SleepyHead lets it win by zeroing in on individual sessions of the same day, similar to the way that Rescan is great for summarizing MULTI-day averages.

This includes the much better view of the Events, both in the event tab and on the chart.

Being able to see the magnified view of the events on the chart makes SleepyHead essential (yes, you CAN do this in Rescan but it is very inconvenient and not nearly so intuitive.)

The superior reports in Rescan make it essential as well.

IF I was forced to choose, the ability to look at the EVENT closely and easily would probably make SleepyHead the winner.

But hey, it's trivial to load and view both. Each has elements that are shown to better advantage and looking twice causes me to "see more" and "see more accurately".

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
03-09-2014 10:02 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(03-09-2014 08:59 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  In either case it's important to download your data regularly as ResMed machines overwrite the "high frequency" data (eg flow rate, mask pressure) after seven days! Sheer lunacy, but there it is.

Wouldn't it be nice if they put a mini USB jack in the machine so we could hook up an external Terabyte disk drive.

(Or an RJ45 jack so I could attach it to my network!)

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-09-2014 03:44 PM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Well, likely best would be a build int WiFi card so that it would go on the network on it's own but likely they would need to change the OS inside the machine.

From what I can tell it is a proprietary system; I specifically looked around to see if they were using Linux on the machine.

If Linux were in there already, adding the wifi would be so much easier -- just a bit of hardware and a very few changes.

An RJ45 would be almost useless for most people (first you would also still need a NIC), as you would have to run network cable to the bedroom.

USB would be a good (second) choice if WiFi were not available. In that case, it would be best if the machine were a USB "drive" as many cameras are, rather than a host device (like a PC.)

Then you could plug a laptop or old computer into the device and capture the data, but again, I would want WiFi to get it out of the bedroom.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
03-09-2014 03:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Most recent: Wisp, Pilairo, Mirage Vista
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20

Other Comments:

(03-09-2014 03:44 PM)justMongo Wrote:  Wouldn't it be nice if they put a mini USB jack in the machine so we could hook up an external Terabyte disk drive.
(Or an RJ45 jack so I could attach it to my network!)

Or Bluetooth. And if your computer doesn't have Bluetooth, just use your smart phone. Or spend $5 on a Bluetooth dongle for your computer.

However, one consideration with any wireless connection is security. What if a neighbor reads your personal medical data from the machine? Bear in mind that in the US there is an attorney's office in every block. Personally, I wouldn't give a rat's patootie if my neighbors saw my sleep data, not that any of them would want to in the first place; nevertheless, the liability for the manufacturer is not trivial.
03-09-2014 05:26 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Back to the OPs question.

I started out using both but gave up on ResScan.

For one, it took a long time to load. I didn't like that it was geared to the DME and not the user. Some of the windows didn't fit and buttons were half hidden. It was not very intuitive to me. I kept trying though, trying to figure it out because it was "official", you know?

But SleepyHead won me over from the start. I'm a big fan of open source software so I admit that bias. I love the interface. It loads quickly. Learning how it works was super easy. It's written for me, the user.

So what I suggest is you try both, get a feel for what you like. We can discuss the pros and cons of each but it will come down to which one you ultimately like. Or you may continue to use both.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

03-09-2014 07:06 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(03-09-2014 07:06 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Back to the OPs question.

I started out using both but gave up on ResScan.

For one, it took a long time to load. I didn't like that it was geared to the DME and not the user. Some of the windows didn't fit and buttons were half hidden. It was not very intuitive to me. I kept trying though, trying to figure it out because it was "official", you know?

But SleepyHead won me over from the start. I'm a big fan of open source software so I admit that bias. I love the interface. It loads quickly. Learning how it works was super easy. It's written for me, the user.

So what I suggest is you try both, get a feel for what you like. We can discuss the pros and cons of each but it will come down to which one you ultimately like. Or you may continue to use both.

It does that to me too.

03-09-2014 07:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  FlashPap and Rescan 5.6.0 am I missing something? Steve4cr 4 281 10-19-2016 11:19 AM
Last Post: Steve4cr
  Downloading Reports on Rescan Sherman 2 307 09-12-2016 06:54 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  sleepyhead vs rescan bajacobs 6 479 07-08-2016 04:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Rescan and Sleepyhead: Transferring data to new computer Hmm888 4 420 05-28-2016 02:42 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Rescan and SD Card cybermed 25 1,968 05-24-2016 05:06 AM
Last Post: zonk
  A10 leaks comparison; machine, myAir, and Rescan rem52 11 1,199 05-22-2016 06:56 AM
Last Post: AlanE
  Most important things to look at in Rescan and SleepyHead Rousseau21 12 1,499 02-08-2016 03:13 PM
Last Post: whmagill