Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rescan vs Sleepyhead ?
Rescan vs Sleepyhead ?
Just wondering since I have the S9 vpap resmed
Would I get more info from Rescan or should I stay
With SLeepyHead ?
Think in the morning. Act in the noon. Eat in the evening. Sleep in the night.
William Blake

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rescan vs Sleepyhead ?
there are good things about each of them. I have both programs and download all my data into both. I look at SH more than ResScan. It really is personal preference. SH is easier to read the graphs except the leaks are easier in ResScan b/c they have a colored line to show if the leaks went over the recommended leak rate. For most of my data, I prefer SH. YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome thx
Think in the morning. Act in the noon. Eat in the evening. Sleep in the night.
William Blake

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I use both. Sleepyhead is quicker and easier to use, with a more intuitive interface and much easier to zoom in and move around. Sleepyhead also works with both ResMed and Philips machines (with some limitations) which is important to me as I have used both. ResScan takes a lot more mouse clicks to get anything done, but is probably more robust (no bugs) and produces some very professional looking reports.

In either case it's important to download your data regularly as ResMed machines overwrite the "high frequency" data (eg flow rate, mask pressure) after seven days! Sheer lunacy, but there it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too use both, every day.

Of those that use both, perhaps I have a higher opinion of Rescan than most.

Somewhere around here I wrote a comparison of what each does better.

Rescan is MUCH better at dealing with "missing sessions" if you ever forget to put the SDCard back in the machine and the reports in Rescan are very nice and many times better than just taking screen shots of SleepyHead if you are going to show them to the sleep doc.

Also, the sleep docs expect to see Rescan reports.

Rescan lets me summarize 1 month, 1 week, etc. averages so much easier (Sleepy Head doesn't really have this feature.)

I far prefer the SleepyHead single day view, but the Rescan summary for the entire history seems much easier to read, especially due to those missed sessions in SleepyHead (I am missing 2 days a couple of short sessions in SleepyHead where Rescan can work for every session without the detailed data.)

The daily view one SleepyHead is much more informative and better organized, even allowing you to make and keep notes on things like Weight and how you feel.

Being able to quickly separate out one session (a click or two on the "Session Information" colored bar segments) in SleepyHead lets it win by zeroing in on individual sessions of the same day, similar to the way that Rescan is great for summarizing MULTI-day averages.

This includes the much better view of the Events, both in the event tab and on the chart.

Being able to see the magnified view of the events on the chart makes SleepyHead essential (yes, you CAN do this in Rescan but it is very inconvenient and not nearly so intuitive.)

The superior reports in Rescan make it essential as well.

IF I was forced to choose, the ability to look at the EVENT closely and easily would probably make SleepyHead the winner.

But hey, it's trivial to load and view both. Each has elements that are shown to better advantage and looking twice causes me to "see more" and "see more accurately".
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2014, 08:59 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: In either case it's important to download your data regularly as ResMed machines overwrite the "high frequency" data (eg flow rate, mask pressure) after seven days! Sheer lunacy, but there it is.

Wouldn't it be nice if they put a mini USB jack in the machine so we could hook up an external Terabyte disk drive.

(Or an RJ45 jack so I could attach it to my network!)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, likely best would be a build int WiFi card so that it would go on the network on it's own but likely they would need to change the OS inside the machine.

From what I can tell it is a proprietary system; I specifically looked around to see if they were using Linux on the machine.

If Linux were in there already, adding the wifi would be so much easier -- just a bit of hardware and a very few changes.

An RJ45 would be almost useless for most people (first you would also still need a NIC), as you would have to run network cable to the bedroom.

USB would be a good (second) choice if WiFi were not available. In that case, it would be best if the machine were a USB "drive" as many cameras are, rather than a host device (like a PC.)

Then you could plug a laptop or old computer into the device and capture the data, but again, I would want WiFi to get it out of the bedroom.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2014, 03:44 PM)justMongo Wrote: Wouldn't it be nice if they put a mini USB jack in the machine so we could hook up an external Terabyte disk drive.
(Or an RJ45 jack so I could attach it to my network!)

Or Bluetooth. And if your computer doesn't have Bluetooth, just use your smart phone. Or spend $5 on a Bluetooth dongle for your computer.

However, one consideration with any wireless connection is security. What if a neighbor reads your personal medical data from the machine? Bear in mind that in the US there is an attorney's office in every block. Personally, I wouldn't give a rat's patootie if my neighbors saw my sleep data, not that any of them would want to in the first place; nevertheless, the liability for the manufacturer is not trivial.
Post Reply Post Reply
Back to the OPs question.

I started out using both but gave up on ResScan.

For one, it took a long time to load. I didn't like that it was geared to the DME and not the user. Some of the windows didn't fit and buttons were half hidden. It was not very intuitive to me. I kept trying though, trying to figure it out because it was "official", you know?

But SleepyHead won me over from the start. I'm a big fan of open source software so I admit that bias. I love the interface. It loads quickly. Learning how it works was super easy. It's written for me, the user.

So what I suggest is you try both, get a feel for what you like. We can discuss the pros and cons of each but it will come down to which one you ultimately like. Or you may continue to use both.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2014, 07:06 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Back to the OPs question.

I started out using both but gave up on ResScan.

For one, it took a long time to load. I didn't like that it was geared to the DME and not the user. Some of the windows didn't fit and buttons were half hidden. It was not very intuitive to me. I kept trying though, trying to figure it out because it was "official", you know?

But SleepyHead won me over from the start. I'm a big fan of open source software so I admit that bias. I love the interface. It loads quickly. Learning how it works was super easy. It's written for me, the user.

So what I suggest is you try both, get a feel for what you like. We can discuss the pros and cons of each but it will come down to which one you ultimately like. Or you may continue to use both.

It does that to me too.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rescan app [doesn't see data import] kerm007 3 139 03-24-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Rescan software v 5.9 SteveC 7 992 09-10-2023, 07:03 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  RESCAN V7.0 MAULE-N9008E 8 2,659 10-13-2022, 08:51 AM
Last Post: JT60
  Rescan V7 download issue newmember 1 1,064 07-21-2022, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Rescan Data export for provider OldYamaha 13 1,336 10-08-2021, 06:04 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Rescan 5.9 Fran 7 1,098 05-21-2021, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Fran
  OSCAR vs Rescan drmaestro 2 1,864 05-19-2020, 07:56 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.