Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Septoplasty with APAP and humidifier?
Septoplasty with APAP and humidifier?
I had a Septoplasty sinus surgery this morning.
I have severe sleep apnea.
I have mild asthma.
With the surgery, I've had above average bleeding, but not enough to go to the ER (according to several discussions with my surgeon). I also have significant burning and a killer headache. All in the normal range according to my surgeon.
I have been faithfully using the saline nose spray so am not congested.
I have been faithfully taking my pain meds.
I have been using an ice pack, on and off through the evening.

I have been dosing through the evening, mainly about an hour after pain meds and when having the ice pack on my face.

So, now it's time (past time) for bed. I'm sleeping in the recliner. I cannot breath. I tried a puff of my rescue inhaler which helped a little, but not enough to get to sleeping. I feel like I'm smothering.

I tried the APAP without humidifier and slept for about 1.5 hours, but am away again because of severe buring sensation in my nose. The bleeding has decreased a good bit though, which I think is a good thing.

So, my question is this...

Is it safe to use my humidifier, i.e. distilled water. I washed it really well, soaking in mild dish soap, rinsed, and then soaked in white vinegar (along wit the hose, headgear, pillows, and foam filter), so feel confident that it's clean.

Hopefully someone will get back to me quickly on this as it is nearing 3am here and I'd really like to go back to sleep.

I also wanted to add that the main reason for the surgery was not a septoplasty. I have had a sinus infection which has been going on for 9 weeks, 4 rounds of 3 different antibiotics plus Rocephin with first 2 rounds. Rounds are Augmentin, Duraceph, Lavetra, Augmetin and now post surger, Augmentin again.

Thanks,
Alisa...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Septoplasty with APAP and humidifier?
I would ask my doctor if I were you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Alisa,

I used my humidifier after having a septoplasty a few years ago but I agree that you definitely should ask your doctor if this is ok to do. I hope you feel better.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
I decided to go ahead with the humidifier and will ask when they get in the office to make sure. It's made a big difference as far as dryness goes. My husband had asked about using it in general and my surgeon had said I could try if I want to but that he doubted I would be able to tolerate it. What he didn't know is that for me cpap/apap use is the difference between sleeping and not. We had a 5 day power outage here are few years back and I didn't sleep until we were able to locate a generator 3 days later and 100 miles away. Tornado hit the main feed at our nuclear power plants.

Good news is that bleeding has stopped in right side and 50% stopped and no longer dripping in left.

Tnx Alisa
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to hear you got some sleep.
I had septoplasty and nasal turbinate done last July. That, in itself was horrid for about five days afterward, felt like I got punched in the nose along with all the bleeding.
Post Reply Post Reply
My surgeon's nurse called first thing this morning to check up on me. She said the humidifier was fine. She also suggested using hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip to gently clean the crusted blood off the rim of my nose hole AND an antibiotic cream to help with the dryness. Bacitracin for me because I'm highly allergic to Neomycin aka Neosporin. She said Afrin to stop bleeding, but just a few times and Saline solution every waking hour.

Bleeding has almost stopped. Due to the fact that I cannot sleep without my CPAP, he's moved my appointment for splint removal up a day. YEAH!!!!

Tnx,
Alisa
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you try a full face mask ? It is what I used with nose job.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi alisa,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you have a quick recovery from your surgery, and I wish you good luck as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 361 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 553 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 424 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 583 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.