Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Testing ResMed AirFit N10 Wide
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8-14 cm/H20
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Hosed ~ 1 year

Sex: Male

Resistance Control vs Mask Setting
(07-05-2014 10:45 PM)PsychoMike Wrote:  Sealing was remarkably good. It has a wide seal all along the perimeter and it is very robust. if the mask isn't on "just right" the seal swells / puffs out a fair bit to make it work. I understand that Respironics recently "tweaked" the seal a little to address some leak concerns and it seems to have worked. I found it to be both a comfortable seal and one that was not prone to leak all that easily.
Blasted leaks have been my nemesis though a series of pillows, nasals, and full faces with the ResMed F-10 Full Face being the most tolerable to date for my boulder head.

I just received the FitLife and an initial first dry run hints at significantly better efficacy.

I'd appreciate your reviewing the settings you use on your S9 Auto Set when you are running the FitLife - particularly as relates to Phillips' reference to the System One Resistance Control Setting which as is seen on page 10 of the FitLife instruction manual and any of the other settings that you feel important.

[Image: original.jpg]

Current thoughts on your FitLife experience to date would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
01-23-2015 08:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Respironics FItLife Total Face Mask [copied from old forum]
I would think that the appropriate setting for your S9 would be "full face mask" since Resmed does not use the "resistance control" the Philips Respironics does.
01-23-2015 11:54 AM
critterdoc Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet

(01-23-2015 11:54 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  I would think that the appropriate setting for your S9 would be "full face mask" since Resmed does not use the "resistance control" the Philips Respironics does.

Sorry Payton, I could have worded that question more clearly. Full Face would also be my best guess for Mask Type under the ResMed Patient Set-up Menu, but I am unclear on whether there is any similarity between the Respironics Resistance Control feature and ResMed's EPR that would influence performance of the Respironics mask on the ResMed S9 AutoSet machine.
01-23-2015 12:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
CPAP Pressure: 12-17
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

Yes, use the "full face" setting for the ResMed machine.
01-23-2015 02:27 PM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Other Comments:

I am not thoroughly familiar with the Respironics Resistance Control. The Resmed Mask Type setting is so the machine knows the pressure drop (or resistance to flow) for the mask in use. Based on the name "Resistance Control" it sounds like Philips is doing the same thing but have assigned it a number rather than a name.
01-23-2015 02:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
critterdoc Offline

Preferred Members

(01-23-2015 02:28 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  I am not thoroughly familiar with the Respironics Resistance Control. The Resmed Mask Type setting is so the machine knows the pressure drop (or resistance to flow) for the mask in use. Based on the name "Resistance Control" it sounds like Philips is doing the same thing but have assigned it a number rather than a name.

Yup. If I read the Respironics mask instructions correctly, they are saying to set the System One Resistance control to X1 out of a range of 5 possible "X" settings, whereas the ResMed S9 AutoSet offers a range of three "EPR" settings. I am unable to clarify how the values of the Respironics v. ResMed settings change as they change across their respective ranges which makes it difficult to extrapolate the EPR setting on the ResMed machine when the Respironics Resistance Control is at the extreme of the X-range for the mask in question. In the context of this mask, does ResMed's EPR1 better approximate Respironic's X1 or would X3 be more efficacious - or does it really matter enough to dwell on?
01-23-2015 04:29 PM
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

EPR of ResMed does not have a direct corollary to any setting on the PR machines. The X1 thru X5 have to do with mask resistance and not a pressure relaxation. There is another setting on PRS1 that relates to pressure relief, called AutoFlex, and can be set to 1, 2, or 3. The pressure relief is always 2 cmH2o, but is then modified based on AFlex setting. The AFlex effect is really to add a slight additional pressure relief just at the start of expiration.

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
01-24-2015 09:01 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Other Comments:

The System 1 Resistance control setting and Resmed's EPR setting have nothing in common as quiet guy (quiescence) said. EPR is a pressure reduction during exhalation to make the exhalation easier. This is primarily a comfort setting.

The System 1 Resistance control setting is only for use by the machine. It tells the machine what pressure drop (flow resistance) to expect at the mask. its function is exactly like the setting for tubing type only for masks instead of tubing.

The mask type setting on Resmed machines is the Resmed analog of Respironics resistance control setting.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
01-24-2015 01:25 PM
PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
CPAP Pressure: 12-17
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

RE: Resistance Control vs Mask Setting
Hey Critterdoc,

Sorry, this got lost in the shuffle. Sad

The ResMed machines don't have a similar function to that of the PR Resistance factor....at least not explicitly. ResMed use different intentional leak rates and resistance values in developing their "Pillows", "Nasal", "Nasal Ultra" and "Full Face" settings...looks like Respironics has an explicit setting so that if they get a leak curve more like an FFM from a nasal mask, they can have you adjust the settings on the machine.

Realistically, using the Fitlife on the S9 is "fit and forget" on "full face" Wink
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2015 04:32 PM by PsychoMike.)
06-17-2015 04:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

RE: Resistance Control vs Mask Setting
[Image: attachment.php?aid=188]

It cannot be that important, because ... can be turned off and set "system one resistance" to "0"

I recall, someone said for non-Respironcis masks, system one resistance setting is "0"

Both ResMed and Respironcis would like to steer you towards using their own products
Clever clogs
06-17-2015 06:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] what setting for mask airsense 10 abrun7 1 169 11-17-2016 06:57 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Date Problem Reuven Gruber 6 286 11-16-2016 04:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cleaning Climate-control tube on ResMed Air Sense 10 GL Bishop 18 11,192 11-07-2016 03:31 PM
Last Post: Jonesie
  Need help with mask setting please trader37 3 279 11-03-2016 02:34 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Any setting changes when adding O2 to CPAP Ham Radio 2 177 10-28-2016 11:54 PM
Last Post: Ham Radio
  [CPAP] Setting up this auto a-flex is really intimidating. SierraMadreMe 6 375 10-27-2016 04:25 AM
Last Post: SierraMadreMe
  setting for starting choce Bill Hall 2 213 10-26-2016 08:20 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred