Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resistance Control vs Mask Setting
Resistance Control vs Mask Setting
(07-05-2014, 10:45 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: Sealing was remarkably good. It has a wide seal all along the perimeter and it is very robust. if the mask isn't on "just right" the seal swells / puffs out a fair bit to make it work. I understand that Respironics recently "tweaked" the seal a little to address some leak concerns and it seems to have worked. I found it to be both a comfortable seal and one that was not prone to leak all that easily.
Blasted leaks have been my nemesis though a series of pillows, nasals, and full faces with the ResMed F-10 Full Face being the most tolerable to date for my boulder head.

I just received the FitLife and an initial first dry run hints at significantly better efficacy.

I'd appreciate your reviewing the settings you use on your S9 Auto Set when you are running the FitLife - particularly as relates to Phillips' reference to the System One Resistance Control Setting which as is seen on page 10 of the FitLife instruction manual and any of the other settings that you feel important.

[Image: original.jpg]

Current thoughts on your FitLife experience to date would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics FItLife Total Face Mask [copied from old forum]
I would think that the appropriate setting for your S9 would be "full face mask" since Resmed does not use the "resistance control" the Philips Respironics does.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2015, 11:54 AM)PaytonA Wrote: I would think that the appropriate setting for your S9 would be "full face mask" since Resmed does not use the "resistance control" the Philips Respironics does.

Sorry Payton, I could have worded that question more clearly. Full Face would also be my best guess for Mask Type under the ResMed Patient Set-up Menu, but I am unclear on whether there is any similarity between the Respironics Resistance Control feature and ResMed's EPR that would influence performance of the Respironics mask on the ResMed S9 AutoSet machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, use the "full face" setting for the ResMed machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not thoroughly familiar with the Respironics Resistance Control. The Resmed Mask Type setting is so the machine knows the pressure drop (or resistance to flow) for the mask in use. Based on the name "Resistance Control" it sounds like Philips is doing the same thing but have assigned it a number rather than a name.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2015, 02:28 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I am not thoroughly familiar with the Respironics Resistance Control. The Resmed Mask Type setting is so the machine knows the pressure drop (or resistance to flow) for the mask in use. Based on the name "Resistance Control" it sounds like Philips is doing the same thing but have assigned it a number rather than a name.

Yup. If I read the Respironics mask instructions correctly, they are saying to set the System One Resistance control to X1 out of a range of 5 possible "X" settings, whereas the ResMed S9 AutoSet offers a range of three "EPR" settings. I am unable to clarify how the values of the Respironics v. ResMed settings change as they change across their respective ranges which makes it difficult to extrapolate the EPR setting on the ResMed machine when the Respironics Resistance Control is at the extreme of the X-range for the mask in question. In the context of this mask, does ResMed's EPR1 better approximate Respironic's X1 or would X3 be more efficacious - or does it really matter enough to dwell on?

Post Reply Post Reply
EPR of ResMed does not have a direct corollary to any setting on the PR machines. The X1 thru X5 have to do with mask resistance and not a pressure relaxation. There is another setting on PRS1 that relates to pressure relief, called AutoFlex, and can be set to 1, 2, or 3. The pressure relief is always 2 cmH2o, but is then modified based on AFlex setting. The AFlex effect is really to add a slight additional pressure relief just at the start of expiration.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
The System 1 Resistance control setting and Resmed's EPR setting have nothing in common as quiet guy (quiescence) said. EPR is a pressure reduction during exhalation to make the exhalation easier. This is primarily a comfort setting.

The System 1 Resistance control setting is only for use by the machine. It tells the machine what pressure drop (flow resistance) to expect at the mask. its function is exactly like the setting for tubing type only for masks instead of tubing.

The mask type setting on Resmed machines is the Resmed analog of Respironics resistance control setting.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resistance Control vs Mask Setting
Hey Critterdoc,

Sorry, this got lost in the shuffle. Sad

The ResMed machines don't have a similar function to that of the PR Resistance factor....at least not explicitly. ResMed use different intentional leak rates and resistance values in developing their "Pillows", "Nasal", "Nasal Ultra" and "Full Face" settings...looks like Respironics has an explicit setting so that if they get a leak curve more like an FFM from a nasal mask, they can have you adjust the settings on the machine.

Realistically, using the Fitlife on the S9 is "fit and forget" on "full face" Wink
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resistance Control vs Mask Setting
[Image: attachment.php?aid=188]

It cannot be that important, because ... can be turned off and set "system one resistance" to "0"

I recall, someone said for non-Respironcis masks, system one resistance setting is "0"

Both ResMed and Respironcis would like to steer you towards using their own products
Clever clogs
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 141 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 279 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Trigger Setting Switch - Aircurve 10 MrIvanDrago 4 155 04-09-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 232 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  CPAP to ASV setting translation? Moemah123 2 524 04-03-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Yujiyun
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 261 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 165 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.