Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed 10 AirSense--OK in Small Open Cabinet
Resmed 10 AirSense--OK in Small Open Cabinet
Getting excited; Resmed 10 supposedly this week.  Have been putting off RV trip w/all these problems/appts.  Once I have it lined out at home, we hope to leave for a few weeks in Texas Rio Grande Valley.  Know where I will put  the machine at home, but RV is more cramped.  There are some small cabinets (door 10"x20" and depth abt 25")  above the head of our bed.  If I tie this door open at night and put the Resmed in the opening, with the hose coming down to me, will the Resmed overheat and damage itself?  Maybe if I turn the machine around so the air intake faces the open room?

Been working on this problem abt 5 weeks now since Urologist sent me to sleep center.  Had been begging him to remove prostate (honest Doc!!).  Sad & stupid!  Have really compressed the time by taking advantage of holidays cancellations.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed 10 AirSense--OK in Small Open Cabinet
The only thing I'd want to make sure of is the brick on the power cord having enough space due to the heat.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Is the brick on power cord far enough from machine that it can just hang down from the cabinet; in the open?  Never had one of these; didn't realize it runs on something other than 110 volts 60 cycle.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think you'd want to hang it. The weight of it would pull the CPAP right out of the cabinet. It's long enough to let the brick lay on the floor and reach a normal night stand.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You shouldn't have any overheating problems. Just make sure there is no way you can pull the machine down on yourself if you roll over in bed with the hose attached.

Also, it's generally recommended to keep the machine below head level so that any condensation in the tube (rainout) drains back to the machine and not into the mask. This may or may not be a problem, depending on your ambient temperature and humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used a 2-drawer bedside table for years with my machine in the lower drawer. I used a 2-inch hole saw to cut access for the tube and electric cord from the back. Most cabinets are not very air-tight, and it doesn't take much open space to adequately ventilate the CPAP. Remember, you don't exhale into the cabinet, so there is no risk you will breathe contaminated air. Consider the intake filter on your CPAP is only 1.5x2.0 inches and that is all the opening that is needed.

In my case the machine is in the cabinet drawer, and I leave the power brick on the outside. It's clean and neat. The machine is not visible by day and it cannot be pulled off the table top, or in your case, topple when you travel.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, guess I need to see it. Should be only a few days now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Didn't know machine had to be lower than me.  Have to think about that; in the RV my bed is right up against the wall w/ a little shelf maybe 4" wide.  Afraid to put the machine there as covers would knock it off onto the floor.  The entire bed hinges up and a storage compartment below.  Guess I could put the machine there and saw a round hole in the side to bring the hose up to me.  Couldn't easily get to the machine to adjust it, etc.  Do I need to?
Post Reply Post Reply
After you get your settings dialed in you probably won't be changing them very often. You will, however, need to turn your machine on and off every day.

The reason for keeping the  machine below you is to let condensation in the tube run back to the machine instead of running into your mask. It really shouldn't matter where you put the machine as long as you keep the condensation under control.

As far as the power brick is concerned, some people have had issues with odors from the brick being picked up by the machine if they are placed too close to each other. It will also need to be placed so it can get plenty of air to cool and in such a way you won't get tangled in the cord.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the Airsense 10 your machine will have an automatic on and off mode. As soon as it senses a breath it turns on, and it shuts off within 15 seconds of an open circuit leak when you remove the mask. I don't miss not seeing the machine, and can't think what I might adjust at night. All I do is access the humidifier, shut the drawer, and go to bed. No noise, no possibility of machine falling, automatic operation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 6 467 2 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 24,917 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 67 25,319 03-10-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: mikekowalski
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 180 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 982 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,011 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 180 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.