Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Peeing a lot at night??
RE: Peeing a lot at night??
Well, everyone seems to agree this is a major benefit of CPAP therapy. But really think about it! The fact that pre-CPAP we had to gittyup-go a dozen times a night was just our body's way of telling us something was really, really wrong. So yes, it's wonderful to be "re-born to be pee-free," but the most important thing is what that says about our healing heart, lungs, gizzards, and all sorts of things. "Thank you, cute little CPAP machine for healing my gizzard..."

And Denton? There is another little issue us guys get to have that causes frequent daytime trips to the bathroom. Namely a prostate that as we get older has a tendency to swell up to approximately the same size as a coconut. Maybe a big coconut...... So keep an eye on that, or more to the point have your doc keep his/her finger on the pulse of your good health.

Post Reply Post Reply
In my case starting on the CPAP machine seems to have made me pee more at night, not less.

Last night in Just over 8 hours of use of my ResMed 10 auto I got up to pee five times.

I am getting better sleep, though, especially since the oxygen was added.

The Internist I saw last spring said that starting CPAP therapy often cause people with symptoms like mine (oedema in the legs) to pee out quite a lot of water, and his prediction seems to have come true, although I haven't lost much if any weight as a result.

Maybe it's a placebo effect based on the expectations I was given.

There does seem to be a slight reduction since I started the O2 a couple of weeks ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2015, 08:47 PM)retired_guy Wrote: And Denton? There is another little issue us guys get to have that causes frequent daytime trips to the bathroom. Namely a prostate that as we get older has a tendency to swell up to approximately the same size as a coconut. Maybe a big coconut...... So keep an eye on that, or more to the point have your doc keep his/her finger on the pulse of your good health.

Thanks for the advice, it's not come with aging but have always had the issue. I get it checked every year and all seems fine. But thanks for the thoughts!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2015, 08:47 PM)retired_guy Wrote: ..."Thank you, cute little CPAP machine for healing my gizzard..."

And Denton? There is another little issue us guys get to have that causes frequent daytime trips to the bathroom. Namely a prostate that as we get older has a tendency to swell up to approximately the same size as a coconut. Maybe a big coconut...... So keep an eye on that, or more to the point have your doc keep his/her finger on the pulse of your good health.

Nice "to the point" and very literal reference. This is what my doc said, but it turns out he was wrong, probably uninformed regarding sleep issues. Doctor-no-get-it

Coconut? I sort of lean toward's the Woody Allen reference from Annie Hall "...the size of a Buick".

My gizzard, on the other hand, seems to get better and more gizzardy every day. Sleep-on-pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2015, 07:09 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi everyone,
Just need to add my two cents. As long as I can remember I have had to get up to pee at least every other hour...no exaggeration! I didn't know I had Sleep Apena. Even at work, I would have to use the bathroom every couple of hours. Started CPAP Therapy end of October 2014, and noticed a difference almost from the start, although I would still wake up once or twice to go. But the last 3 weeks have been amazing. I sleep straight through the night. My daytime trips have lessened quite a bit too. There are a lot of benefits to CPAP, but this is number one on my list!
:grin:
Rosemarie

Rosemarie,
This too has been my experience. I'm a bit miffed at myself for waiting so long to see if this was the cause of the every hour (or less) all night long misery. I had a nurse friend in Boise (where we lived before here) who said you know, there is a correlation between nocturia/polyuria and Apnea. (she is a cpaper too) and I searched pubmed, found all the documentation of it etc. My GP here, said "oh I don't think there is any connection between the two"...Well as I am well armed, I kindly said 'Um I want a study...the literature is there for what I say"...and he got me one..in which he wrote in the prescription to the sleep doc "patient has nocturia and she believes there might be a connection" and under how soon study needed "no hurry"...well that was June, and it took me til Dec 26 to have sleep study completed and c-pap in hand, thanks DOC. Anyway, wrote him back a friendly email knowing he got my results and said 'thank you so much for sending me for that study...and how my nocturia has been helped" not to rub his face in it, but to reinforce the connection in hopes it might help another patient he sees.

So glad you've found relief. I'm not sleeping through the night 32 days in, but I have seen 4-5 hour stretches, which is, as you know BLISS.

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
I could be way off base here, but I believe that some not all doctors take women's complaints seriously. I have been telling my doc for the last 6 years how tired I was, how poorly I slept, getting up every other hour to go to the bathroom, etc. The response was usually that I needed to remember that I was getting older, and these are normal experiences.
It wasn't until my hubby took me to hospital in middle of night due to not being able to catch my breath. Of course all sorts of tests done and sleep apnea was suspected. I didn't even know what that was! Anyway from that diagnoses, it took over 4 months to get a sleep study done, get in to see my doc to get a script for machine and mask. 4 months is a long time to suffer. I experienced a lot of anxiety.
My doc did apologize and said he should have seen the symptoms. Oh-jeez
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2015, 12:38 PM)Ravenmocker Wrote: Nocturia questions. Why does this happen? What is the mechanism that causes it?

Most men over the age of 70 will have BPH (benign prostate hyperplasia). That is an enlarged prostate. This gland encircles the urethra so that when enlarged, restricts urine flow resulting in the retention of urine in the bladder. Some men retain as much as 200ml & since the male bladder holds between 400 to 600ml. this leaves that much less room for subsequent urine storage whilst sleeping.
Sleep comes is waves of about 1-1/2 to 2 hrs and if the bladder is signalling to be emptied, it will be enough for the sleeper to become aware & answer the call to attend the toilet. Depending on the volume being retained, this cycle may be repeated many times a night.
Although I have BPH, I don't ever visit the toilet after retiring at night. The reason? Firstly I take the herb "Saw Palmetto" (recommended by GP's) also "Minipress", but as Minipress affects blood pressure, ask your doctor.
Secondly, is a matter of management. There is a couple of things that can be done - I'll be happy to explain these to anyone interested.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 843 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 885 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Peeing at night Danoo65 8 921 03-01-2023, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Danoo65
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,102 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,336 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,208 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,243 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.