Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed 10 "Clear Airway" events (mouth breathing?)
Resmed 10 "Clear Airway" events (mouth breathing?)
I've been using a Resmed 10 for a few months; occasionally my AHI is quite
high, and it's almost always due to reported "CA" events. I use an Eson nasal
mask. My understanding (and this is consistent with what I see in Sleepyhead
detail graphs) is that when the Resmed detects an "obstruction" (i.e., lack of nasal
air flow), it will send rapid pulses of air pressure changes, and if those pulses do
not indicate an obstruction, it will log a CA event.

I am also aware that I am an occasional mouth breather (see below (*)). It seems to me that
the Resmed algorithm could easily report a CA during a mouth breathing episode;
does anyone know if this is true?  If so, is there anything seriously wrong
with occasional mouth breathing? Presumably you're getting adequate
oxygen. If so, it would suggest that such CA's are relatively harmless.

Can anyone confirm/deny the above?

I have full Sleepyhead data, but no oximeter.

Thanks,

(*) At high (for me) pressures around 10 or 12, I sometimes wake up and 
am aware (partly due to the hissing)  that I am doing mouth exhalations. 
A chin strap doesn't help, as the opening is just a slight purse of the lips. 
I have experimented with paper tape over my mouth; I have the impression it
may reduce the CA's, but I haven't kept careful records.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed 10 "Clear Airway" events (mouth breathing?)
You should be able to see from the leak graph if your CA's are due to mouth leaks as your leak rate will rise.
Post Reply Post Reply
finsko,
Welcome to Apnea Board,
Follow the links below in my signature line and post a SleepyHead screenshot of the daily page here.
This really is the only way to receive accurate advice.  We can help you and show you what to look for.

Pay close attention to the organization of graphs.  Be sure into include the following graphs: Events,
Flow rate, pressure, Leak Rate and Snores.  Include the left side bar minus the calendar.

Use the attachment feature to post your data.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the leak rate suggestion; I'll check that out. And since this reply makes my fourth post, I'm also now allowed to post graphs :-), so I may do that as well.

What an excellent resource this community is!

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Even a new user can attach graphs as attachments, but you need 4 posts to submit links
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, here is my (first) attempt at posting Sleepyhead data for 2 CA events. Any information about how to interpret what these CA events are is much appreciated (leak rate doesn't seem to support my mouth breathing hypothesis). Snores are zero throughout.

Thanks!

finsko
Post Reply Post Reply
You could try reducing epr to 1 and see if that has a positive effect on your CA’s we could also try increasing the minimum pressure to a tighter range maybe 8 and see if it helps. But if the CA’s persist then a different machine will be required
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak rate is low and has nothing to do with the amount of CA’s.

I agree that turning EPR to 1 or even off would be a start. Hopefully, that would get rid of most of the CA’s. If not, then a straight pressure may work better for you.

Give the change with EPR a chance to work first.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, try reducing or even switching off EPR completely and see if this reduces your CAs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board finsko,

I say do any adjustments the others suggested and see how it goes, giving it a few days before considering another adjustment. We like to see trends not a one day hit or miss. On the CA issue, maybe this is like lots of others that begin CPAP, and should diminish over a period of adjustment time. If not, and if the CA's aren't responding well to CPAP optimization, then consider preparing to moving on to a BPAP, or the much more expensive ASV like I have, may be justified. Let's cross one bridge at a time though. You're going to have to do the trial and error thing to get insurance to pay for the machine anyway.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,048 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 353 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 329 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 263 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.