Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed 9 full face mask hurricane gusts!
Gross 
Resmed 9 full face mask hurricane gusts!
Hi all,

I have switched from nasal pillows to a full face mask and I have a massive set back with the pressure.

I go to bed around 11pm. At 1:30 I wake up with hurricane force winds blowing through the tubes, my cheeks puff out and it just blows in my face. I take it off, turn the machine off, and then turn it back on and it is STILL blowing hecticly.

I get up for about an hour. Have a coffee, go back to bed and its 'normal'. 90 minutes later, the problem repeats.

I'm tired. I want this to work, but WHAT is going on and how do I fix this??

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Laura
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed 9 full face mask hurricane gusts!
So, what are we talking about here? Is the FFM just blowing its mask to face seal; or do you believe the machine pressure has run away?

As for what's going on -- how about downloading SleepyHead or ResScan and looking at the leak, pressure and flow graphs.
That's where one is likely to find the answer.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Laura,
It would be helpful to know your pressure ranges. Also what mask are you using?

Please take the time out to fill in your profile. It will make it easier for us to give suggestions.

It does sound as if your mask isn't fitting properly. Why did you go from nasal pillows to full face?

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had similar issues when I switched from pillows to ffm. It takes some getting used to. But first you have to make sure the mask is fitting right and that leaks are under control as much as possible. To do that, you'll need to use one of the two suggested software to view your data. If the problem is "just" the pressure blowing your mouth open from the outside, then you've got easy to fix problems.

As a nasal pillow user, you are not used to air on your face at all so this FFM switch is drastically different. It feels as if you are pointing an air compressor hose at your face! It's the same pressure that was shooting up your nose but it doesn't feel like it. Time and patience are required. Sit up with it on during the day. Mask on, machine on. If you are comfortable doing so, get into the menu and turn up the pressure so you have a higher constant. Get your face used to the sensations. Practice keeping your lips closed against the pressure. Eventually (it took me less than two weeks) you will get used to all of it.

Use lip balm at night to help with the dryness. And use lotion as soon as you get up. I had windburned cheeks. Same pressure that was shooting up my nose but wow, totally different when hitting my face.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
when you switched from nasal pillows to a full face mask did you change the s9 settings for mask type?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 394 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.