Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

wickedsleepy - Sleep Therapy Analysis
RE: wickedsleepy - Sleep Therapy Analysis
I think you should return to a higher starting pressure of 9.0 with EPR 3. The collar is working to avoid positional apnea clusters, but your pressure is still relatively low and EPR insufficient to resolve flow limits. Flow limits are persistent enough that I think you need to start looking at bilevel (Aircurve 10 Vauto) as a potentially better solution. Let's get a closer look at respiration by posting some 3 to 4 minute views of your flow rate graphs.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if the pressure changes are causing sleep disturbances, which could account for some of how you feel.

One experiment to ponder is whether a fixed pressure would help with comfort. Maybe a fixed pressure of 10 with EPR of 2 as a starting point. You can either try CPAP mode set up as such, or stay in Autoset mode with min and pressure set to 10 with EPR of 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, here's what I tried:
Two nights ago:  min pressure raised to 9, EPR still at 2.  still using the OTC dental device.  no improvement.
Last night:  min pressure still at 9, EPR raised to 3.  still using OTC dental device.  I still feel the same... very dizzy, brain fog, trouble focusing (eyes and mentally)

I also noticed that lately I have been having muscle aches, and last night I woke up doing some hyperventilating (I think that was the RERA just before 5am).  These are some of the reasons why I'm wondering if there's CO2 rebreathing or something like that.

I attached last night's charts.  I attached one additional chart with a zoom-in around those hypopneas.  I had two clustered hypopneas (I believe this was chin tucking from being on my back with my Contour pillow being a bit high, although I did have some good scotch in the late afternoon), one RERA, and one CA just before getting up.  Overall these scores are great, so why the cognitive issues?  

I'm wondering
1. CO2 rebreathing
2. low O2 saturation for some reason? does wide-open-mouth sleeping cause this?
3. I have enough shallow hypopneas that the machine isn't detecting just enough to cause brain fog?
4. Can EPR actually be causing the issue?  Should I drop it back to 1 or even off to see if that helps?
5. I'm destined to be mentally impaired for the rest of my CPAP life?

Post Reply Post Reply
Update: For the past two nights, I backed off EPR and used a flatter pillow, just to try something different. First night, no EPR. A rougher ride with a few higher pressures and more wake-ups. Next day I still felt a bit dizzy but maybe with less confusion/cognitive issues. Last night, EPR set to 1. Somewhat smoother night, still dizzy today but also less confusion/cognitive issues. Just tired. It feels like its a tradeoff... the EPR does seem to make things a bit smoother, but it feels like higher EPR is having some negative consequences.

I did find an article that explained for some people high EPR (which reduces EPAP) can result in lower O2 saturation, since there's less expiratory pressure support keeping the airways open on exhale. Idk.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 67 1,745 19 minutes ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep arturg 3 126 25 minutes ago
Last Post: arturg
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 52 725 3 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 59 1,018 5 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 11 488 Yesterday, 09:13 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 473 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 486 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.