Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed APAP Pressure
RE: Resmed APAP Pressure
(05-17-2017, 08:13 PM)RogerNZ Wrote: Blue pills??? Not sure about that reference Smile
Typical spam, ED cure v***** or C*****
Post Reply Post Reply
The EPR change is simple and may make some difference. All auto machines try to head off apneas by reacting to things like flow limitations and vibratory snore. Flow limitations may be what is maintaining your machine at higher pressure. Fow limitations typically respond well to increases in Pressure Support which is essentially what you are doing when you go from EPR of 0 or 1 to an EPR of 3. If that change improves things but not enough, it may be that you may require a bilevel auto CPAP in order to allow the pressure support to go higher than 3 cm/H2O. The machine does not react to an obstructive apnea that is in progress but will react afterwards. The machine will also not react at all to central apneas also known around here as clear airway apneas.

Many of us on the board are very data driven, if you could not tell that already.

If the unit is noisy, check the seals and ensure that the water tank for the humidifier is seated correctly. The unit should not be noisy and if it is not something that just needs a little adjustment then your supplier should take care of the problem.

Best Regards,

PaytnA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

I tried last night EPR of 3 but apart from that everything as it has been. I wasn't exactly sure how to present the data from sleepyhead so I just took screenshots and put them inside a word document for last night. Let me know if this isn't the best method.

The pressure didn't go quite so high last night and I didn't have any long obstructions with the longest only 50 seconds or so.

Best regards,

Roger.

Attached Files
.docx   CPAP Data 18-5-2017.docx (Size: 137.92 KB / Downloads: 36)
Post Reply Post Reply
Please read my Useful Links on how to organize your charts and how to upload them to imgur.  Using the F12 key to take a screenshot is the best and easiest way.  The image will be stored in the SleepyHead Data folder under Profiles > Your Name > Screenshots.   It will be a .png file.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I'll do that when I get home tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at your charts and based that data and your issue with higher pressures, I'd like you to raise your min to 9 cm to help with your OA and H and drop your max to 14 to help with your pressure issues.  Numbers are based on the med pressure (11.46) rounding down and subtracting 2,  For the high rounding up and adding 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I were you, I would slowly move your minimum pressure up about 2 cm/H2O at a time Until you get it up to around 12. I would go a couple of days on each increase and make sure that you are comfortable with the higher minimum and it is not causing any other problem like an increase in CAs. It should not but it pays to be careful.

Let us know how it is going.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour and Payton thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of moving the lower pressure. Since my old CPAP was set to 10 I'll move straight to 9 tonight and then as Payton suggested move it up from there in increments as necessary. I'm a little unsure about the top pressure, since the APAP should be just doing what it "needs to" shouldn't it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2017, 08:07 PM)RogerNZ Wrote: Bonjour and Payton thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of moving the lower pressure. Since my old CPAP was set to 10 I'll move straight to 9 tonight and then as Payton suggested move it up from there in increments as necessary. I'm a little unsure about the top pressure, since the APAP should be just doing what it "needs to" shouldn't it?

in your OP you said " I could almost live with the high pressures "  I wanted to back down your high for your comfort.  I you are not having issues with the high pressures you can leave it there, by the numbers it will not hurt.   A standard starting settings is your Med pressure +/- 2  so in your case it would be 11.4 +/- 2
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2017, 07:36 PM)RogerNZ Wrote: Hi all,

I tried last night EPR of 3 but apart from that everything as it has been. I wasn't exactly sure how to present the data from sleepyhead so I just took screenshots and put them inside a word document for last night. Let me know if this isn't the best method.

The pressure didn't go quite so high last night and I didn't have any long obstructions with the longest only 50 seconds or so.

Best regards,

Roger.

Hi Roger,
              For the EPR, you have it set to work only during the Ramp time:
EPRResMed Exhale Pressure Relief
Ramp Only

And, you have ramp turned off:

RampRamp Enable
Off

So, if you want to turn the EPR on, you need to change the setting for EPR to be 'full time', or something like that in the clinical menu.
My suggestion would be to start at EPR 1 for a few days, and then perhaps try 2, especially if you get your minimum pressure up higher.

In my own case, my titrated pressure for CPAP is 13.   My untreated AHI is 58.9 with lows of 60% oxygen Sats and 90 second apnoeas. With careful and slow adjustments of settings, my AHI is now constantly below 0.5 
My settings now are 12.2 to 17.2 with EPR of 2.

I didn't end up bringing the maximum pressure down much, but I found keeping a reasonably tight range minimises leaks due to big pressure changes.
I took the minimum pressure up 0.2 cm at a time from 5 to 13 and then gradually down to 12.2.  I was new to CPAP and so wanted to take it very slowly and carefully.

Take care
Steve.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 126 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,220 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 144 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 222 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 912 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 644 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.