Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Abbreviations and a few other questions
Resmed Abbreviations and a few other questions
I am relatively new to this Sleep Apnea thing, (5 months) I have a resmed S9 BIPAP with humidifier and have done some experimenting, so far mostly with pressure which I have adjusted up with good results.(reduction of total AHI)

This SA / Mask, etc is hardest thing I have ever encountered Dont-know

I am to see my first sleep doctor again in a few weeks but wanted to get some "hands on" advice as well.

My orgional prescription was for 6/9 cm H20 pressure, but I felt like I was suffocating and had lots of events so after several days I cranked up the pressure. I am now using the machine essentially as a CPAP with my pressure at 11/11 cm H20

I also bought and use a recording Oxy-meter to monitor my 02 thru the night.

I have several questions.

1. In the S9 there are several variables that I have stumbled across and would like to know what they are...... and if possible what effects they have on the various aspects of SA.

Ti min, TI max, Rise time Trigger, Cycle, Easy breath, Mode.

2. As I have adjusted up the pressure to get my Total AHI down, My central events have climbed from 30% to about 60%

3. Some days even when I have a low AHI but feel bad. Usually my 02 meter shows that my 02 had droped into the 80's severl times. I Wonder what might be going on?

4. On my own, I bought and tried a nasel mask first with my origional prescription of 6/9 cm H20 pressure; I was able to not "mouth breath and I flet like I was getting enough air. However the first experiment was a disaster, I had a high AHI with lots of events and this was verifiey by the 02 levels............. and the following day was a total washout.

Second Nasel mask trial was at my "comfortable" and tested 11/11 pressure that I have used for 2 months.......... but I had about 50% of the events of the first try with the nasel mask and again I felt bad the next day. I returned to the Full Mask

What I have learned is that for my body so far; Keeping my 02 levels up is paramount in feeling good the next day.

I tried a second sleep doctor, but he kind of flipped out when I showed him my daily 02 graphs. Too-funny ( I fired him)

Regarding my doctors, First one doctor is new, (2 years) and is text book.......... However She/ He is sort of accepting of my experiments; but does not have answers to many questions, nor seems to know where to go to get the answers.......... or possible answers.

Lastly,

How do you find a sleep doctor who has Sleep Apnea them selves.......... this may be the doctor of choice to use Cool

Thanks,

Eric
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Abbreviations and a few other questions
First, you can't make changes quickly. What happens in one night does not mean that's the way it is every night. There are far too many variables to take into consideration. Any change you make needs to be observed over several days, preferably no less than 7. This allows you to see trends and to determine if one night was a fluke or not.

Quote:Ti min, TI max, Rise time Trigger, Cycle, Easy breath, Mode.

I would assume these are specific to the BPAP. I would assume they have something to do with the exhale pressure relief. A bilevel works differently that other CPAPs. Most others can only drop the pressure on exhale by 1-3. A bilevel can drop it more than 3. I understand it can take some getting used to. Have you checked the manual? You can get the clinician manual here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Why did they start you on a BPAP? Do you have another lung condition where you cannot breathe out against the pressure?

Now for another lecture: you just got this thing. Stop messing with it and try to adjust to it. The more you mess, the longer it will take you to get used to everything.

Sit up with it on during the day to get used to the pressure, the sensations. Wear it while watching TV or reading. Play with the mask to find the best fit. Then lay down with it on and roll around like you think you do at night. Check for leaks and problems such as where the hose is going.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
u2canbuild, Paula has given all the advice you need. Memorize that clinical and users manual. I think a month is needed before you become accustomed to and receive the benefit from a certain prescription. When you make changes too quickly you never get anywhere. I'm glad you know how to set the machine, but please set it and leave it at that pressure for a month (or 2) before you make adjustments.
Ti min, TI max- this is the minimum time given for inhalation and the maximum time far inhalation as I understand it. Rise time is the time the machine takes to reach the needed pressure (again, my understanding). There is a wealth of information in the clinical manual and on the manufactures website.
Keep us posted, please and good luck.
By the way, it took me about eight months to adjust to my ASV and get the full benefit from that mode of therapy.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2013, 08:51 AM)zimlich Wrote: u2canbuild, Paula has given all the advice you need. Memorize that clinical and users manual.

LOL you're nuts. Hammer When you have a chronic memory loss then it's impossible to memorize the manual. That's why I printed the whole damn thing (and the ResScan manual and the ResScan interpretation guide - it's a BIG binder now.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2013, 10:35 AM)Ugly Wrote: When you have a chronic memory loss then it's impossible to memorize the manual. That's why I printed the whole damn thing (and the ResScan manual and the ResScan interpretation guide - it's a BIG binder now.)

Yes, but you're Canadian. And everyone knows that Canadians have very long winters with inadequate sunlight causing Vitamin D deficiencies, leading to memory loss and other cognitive functions. Bigwink

So, Sean... you're excused from having to memorize the manuals. Print away. Too-funny

Oh, and drink coffee, too. Good antioxidants and other stuff inside. Coffee

Alternatively, you can move down to the states which will correct all the cognitive issues, and it will save you money for paper and printer ink.

Eat-popcorn
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2013, 07:15 PM)u2canbuild Wrote: How do you find a sleep doctor who has Sleep Apnea them selves.......... this may be the doctor of choice to use Cool

Interesting thought. I don't know. Reminds me of the time when I was seeking out a vasectomy eeew Offtopic and he proudly proclaimed he knew how I was feeling since he had one himself. I assume he didn't perform it on himself. Huhsign so I suppose it can be reassuring having a doctor who's been through the same thing that you're experiencing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2013, 01:11 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Alternatively, you can move down to the states which will correct all the cognitive issues, and it will save you money for paper and printer ink.

But while the disability income I receive puts me below the poverty line (I fake it anyhow and having no mortgage helps) and I've heard that it's harder to qualify for disability benefits in some states so I'd best stay where I am.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 142 8 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 265 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 305 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 463 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,593 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question Resmed Airsense 11 SD Card questions. R Leslie Van Winkle 7 4,465 10-14-2023, 05:56 AM
Last Post: krsattler

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.