Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Adapt ASV question
Resmed Adapt ASV question
I have been using the Adapt for a while now, it is the only machine that I could tolerate. However I am still not getting good sleep and have been doing some research on Tidal Volume and Respiratory rates.

Some of the reading I have done leads me to wonder if it is possible that the Adapt is forcing me to breathe at a higher rate than would be natural for me.

For instance I often wake up in the night, on the machine, and find that I am breathing rapidly. The next morning I feel light headed like I have been hyperventilating.

Does anyone know if the algorithm of the Adapt has a set breath per minute rate? I have read some users of ASVs write about training the machine to follow their breath, is this what I should be doing?

Any thoughts??

Storywizard

Attached Files
.doc   Stats Nov 19.doc (Size: 17 KB / Downloads: 37)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Adapt ASV question
I'm more a fan of averages than medians, but everything I see in your attached file looks so normal it's nearly boring. There is nothing unusual about any of the stats. If anything the 95% and maximum pressure support looks pretty low for your type of machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks...
this is what I was looking for....
https://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/...ow_eng.pdf
Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply
The machine should follow your breathing rate, unless you are in a central apnea (not breathing) in which case it should follow a back up rate and prompt you to breathe with levels of pressure support determined by the machine.

It looks like your epap is fixed at 6. The file didn't show any apneas, but shows "total time in apnea" of 3:27. What type of apneas are you experiencing?

Shots in the dark: (1) You could switch to ASVauto with a narrow epap range to see if epap goes anywhere to treat obstructive apneas. (2) increase maximum pressure support a little to provide more central apnea treatment. Of course, talk to your doctor first.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I understand it the VPAP Adapt only reverts to a backup rate if you have a central apnea (as mentioned above). My breathing is fairly slow (10 bpm) but the machine never tries to hurry me, except occasionally during the sleep/wake period.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2016, 07:49 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: As I understand it the VPAP Adapt only reverts to a backup rate if you have a central apnea (as mentioned above). My breathing is fairly slow (10 bpm) but the machine never tries to hurry me, except occasionally during the sleep/wake period.

Good Morning!
hmmm. I always feel like I am fighting the machine, like it is breathing me..
Thanks for the responses....all part of the journey

all the best,
Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply
If the machine is trying to force the pace, blow back hard when it's forcing you to inhale. The sudden powerful exhalation seems to "reset" the algorithm and the machine reverts to a less intrusive mode. Otherwise, just relax and breathe slowly but evenly and the machine will "learn" and adapt to your breathing pattern.

As an aside, I had a PR system 1 Bipap ASV for a while and it definitely was a fight every night. The Resmed is like a soft embrace in comparison. Other people have had the exact opposite experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did try that, but perhaps not hard enough...will give it another go...
Thanks for the help..

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 486 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  new resmed user - question about Myair and airview wooders 4 1,049 08-20-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: krsattler
Question Question on using a Resmed S9 vs a Dreamstation 1 nbdsv96 3 548 06-20-2023, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
  Saving time/date in ResMed S9 vpap adapt Ed in SoDak 4 484 06-18-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
Question Question on settings on Resmed S9 nbdsv96 1 453 06-12-2023, 04:37 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Question: ResMed My Air & SD card rdudley9 2 715 06-04-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: larrykay
  [Pressure] aircurve 10 asv constantly corrects me and i can't adapt Emtvalenti 7 682 05-11-2023, 10:30 PM
Last Post: DevinJones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.