Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Air Cushion Design
Resmed Air Cushion Design
I've been using a Resmed Quattro FX for about five months. I had a brick for most of that time, so I had no data about leaks. I got an S9 autoset about two weeks ago, and found that my leak numbers were terrible, and I've been working to get them down since then, with mixed success. I use the "mask fit" feature and always start out the night with good numbers, but as I fall asleep, things start to go south, leak-wise.

As best I can tell, the problems I have are on the sides of the mask, not the top or bottom. I added a strap below my chin, running through the two bottom straps to prevent the mask from riding up, which has worked well. Now I have started using strips of bandage tape on the sides of the mask. I'm using 1" tape and folding it in half, so that one half adheres to the cushion and the other half to my skin. This way, if the mask lifts up, instead of being open, the air will be trapped by the tape. So far it's working, but I've only used it twice.

Between the extra strap and the tape, putting on the mask is getting to be quite a production. The secret of getting a good seal with this mask is supposed to be not over-tightening, so the double walled cushion can fully inflate, but it seems like the shape of my face changes too much when I sleep, and the cushion can't adjust.

So I'm looking for any tips or suggestions which might help. I haven't tried mask liners. Money is a bit tight, and I'm hoping to find a more cost effective solution. The tape might be it, but it's a bit uncomfortable, and I'm having to tighten the straps too much to get it to work.

I've been training myself to nose breathe, and today I ordered an Airfit N10, but even if that works out I still want to make a full face mask work, for times when I'm congested.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Air Cushion Design
You can make your own mask liner out of an old t-shirt, or even a new t-shirt, or even t-shirt sort of material from the fabric store.

Just trace around the mask cushion on the material leaving some border inside and out, then cut it out. Cut out the center so you have a nice place for your nose to go.

I think you'll like the N10 better than the ffm once you get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JQLewis,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and best of luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I just noticed this statement: "I've been using a Resmed Quattro FX for about five months."

Reviewing the schedule for replacements I received from Providence Home Services I noted the mask should be replaced every 6 months and the cushion should be replaced at least every month. This could be part of the problem. I Completely Understand about tight finances - is there any way you could get supplies through the insurance or a program such as this? (I hope the moderators are OK with my putting this info here; if not, please let me know.) I searched on Resmed assistance and found this info on the first page of the results.

=====================
“Supply has always been our challenge, but thanks to ResMed, we will now be in a position to increase the reach of our program,” said Nasca. Physicians and social workers can refer patients to apply for assistance at http://www.sleepapnea.org where forms are provided. Inquiries may be sent to CAP@sleepapnea.org.

Another support program of the ASAA is the A.W.A.K.E. network. A.W.A.K.E. stands for Alert, Well, And Keeping Energetic. Its education and support groups are available in nearly every state, helping people face to face and free of charge. A.W.A.K.E. gives people with sleep apnea the educational tools to help manage their own diagnosis successfully."
=========================

I am assuming you are washing the FFM daily and letting it air dry; which helps keep you breathing clean air and helps the mask last longer.
Oops! Just realized there is a URL in my post. I will get out my ruler for the requisite hand slap.
Oops! Just realized there is a URL in my post. I will get out my ruler for the requisite hand slap.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Links to non-profit sites are fine. It's the commercial website links we have to limit.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to try boiling your mask cushion with baking soda, to make the silicone more flexible to reduce leaks, and to remove skin oils. I put about 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a quart-sized container of boiling water. (You will need a larger container for the Quattro FX.) Then, I put my mask cushion in until the water cools off. It will turn out slimy from skin oils, and will need to be cleaned. I'm able to get about 9 months out of a mask cushion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2014, 10:53 PM)big_dave Wrote: It will turn out slimy from skin oils, and will need to be cleaned.

Do you mean it will be slimy after you boil it and then you clean it as usual in warm soapy water?

That's good info that I'll be able to use, thanks for the tip.

Post Reply Post Reply
That's right.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 227 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 502 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 516 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Very intermittent nasal cushion collapse BillfromMissouri2 4 384 12-10-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  F20 Touch (foam) cushion --Longer Use and Larger Leaks snorin2 18 1,986 09-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Surprised ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal Cushion & P10 pillows WW4B 1 730 08-15-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: cdplatt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.