Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Air Mini [help with noise]
Resmed Air Mini [help with noise]
Hi
I have bought an Resmed Air Mini, and am used to having total silence when I sleep, so I'm having a hard time getting used to the noise when you inhale, does any one have any ideas as to how to get rid of the noise, apart from not using it, which i'm tempted to do and return the product.

Thanks
Suezett
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Air Mini
This seems to be the number one complaint with the AirMini.

Scroll down to the bottom of page where it says “possibly related threads” to read other thoughts on the subject.

I could never sleep with a noisy machine either. I don’t think ReSMed thought this one through.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Suezett,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
From what I have read, all of the travel machines are noisy. You might exchange the AirMini for one that is slightly bigger, and quieter, such as the Resmed AirSense 10.
I wish you good luck with getting this straightened out.
Hang in there for more ideas.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your help
ill look into it, I have a large machine at home, but too bulky to travel with. Thanks

Thank you Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had the AirMini pretty much since its release earlier this year and use it regularly (probably 10+ trips so far including 3 weeks in Europe this summer) and have some pointers to help with the noise - it's only a little louder than my Airsense 10 at this point, maybe takes an extra couple of minutes to adjust a night (but then again being in a strange hotel room takes that long as well):

1) Make sure that the hose connection is inserted firmly into the Airsense unit - if it is even a little off the noise that is heard is at the connector where the HumidX module resides (for the P10 and N20 masks, the F20 connector does not have a HumidX option).  That was a little counter-intuitive for me as I expected a loose connection to make a noise at that point, not several feet away.

2) Ensure that the HumidX module is properly installed (it 'snaps' into place with the colored side facing the tube which connects to the AirMini, not the mask) - it should be a little firm to remove when properly installed and the surrounding cover should also be tightly closed as well.

[Image: airmini-cpap-humidx-filter-resmed.png]

3) Both the AirMini and the Dreamstation Go seem to be quieter when the machines are located below head level - I use the Resmed AirMini Mounting System (Resmed Part #38842) which works wonderfully and is designed to hold the AirMini firmly in place while you sleep - I strap mine to the side of the hotel room mattress and it is both securely fastened while I sleep but also pretty significantly reduces the overall noise of both the unit as well as the hose / mask / HumidX module in the process.

[Image: bed-caddy-airmini-cpap-machine-resmed-38842.jpg]

Overall I have used the AirMini for several hundred hours and find it only a little louder than my home machine (my partner says there is really no perceived difference, and actually finds the full sized Airsense 10 I use at home to be a bit louder - although both are pretty quiet).
Post Reply Post Reply
My biggest concern with the Air Mini is the special adaptor for the P10 mask.
The P10 was the turning point for me: I couldn't live with CPAP till I discovered it.
It solved my biggest CPAP annoyance: blowing cold air onto sheets/pillows, which reflected onto me. Cold air and sleep don't mix.

The true genius of the P10 is the diffuser -- the mass of pinholes on the standard hose attachment piece. These holes g-e-n-t-l-y distribute exhaled air widely enough that there is no unpleasant breeze. I see that the Air Mini requires a custom attachment with big, fat holes opposite the humidity disc. Those look like they might blast cold air where I don't want it.

Is this a problem?
Only answer this if you have some idea of the problem I mentioned.
Apparently -- to my amazement -- many don't.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2017, 01:53 AM)Tabbycat Wrote: My biggest concern with the Air Mini is the special adaptor for the P10 mask.
The P10 was the turning point for me:  I couldn't live with CPAP till I discovered it.
It solved my biggest CPAP annoyance: blowing cold air onto sheets/pillows, which reflected onto me.  Cold air and sleep don't mix.

The true genius of the P10 is the diffuser -- the mass of pinholes on the standard hose attachment piece.  These holes g-e-n-t-l-y distribute exhaled air widely enough that there is no unpleasant breeze.  I see that the Air Mini requires a custom attachment with big, fat holes opposite the humidity disc.  Those look like they might blast cold air where I don't want it.

Is this a problem?
Only answer this if you have some idea of the problem I mentioned.
Apparently -- to my amazement -- many don't.

The 'big holes' are the ones in the picture of the HumidX connector (on the side the colored end of the HumidX cartridge attaches as shown in post #5 above) - I've used the P10 setup for several hundred hours now and they don't blow air on you as a lot of other masks tend to do - first your breaths are somewhat 'diffused' by the HumidX cartridge itself and then the air is distributed amongst the holes so that there is no really noticeable airflow - none at least that would describe as blowing cold air - and if anything the air coming out the holes is warmed and moistened by your lungs as that is what the HumidX cartridge uses to provide humidity and moisture in its operation.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought an Airmini and first impressions are great. I dont see the noise people seems to be commenting on, seems no noisier than my Airsense 10.

My only concern is that the vents on the back of the humidX cartridge dont seem to be blowing air out at all ... normally you get a little air coming out which is venting the carbon dioxide.  With the Air-mini I cant feel any air coming out ... slightly concerned about that
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 50 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,259 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 87 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 670 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.