Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed AirFit F10
RE: Resmed AirFit F10
'Gabby' and others

My problem is like this...

My mouth is not opening, my lips are. What I find is that about 4-5am my tongue drops from the roof of my mouth and the air flows over my tongue and blows open my lips. I tried the stap but can't stand it but with this issue a chin strap won't fix the problem.

Last night I modified my P10 strap. This made it fit alot better and my leakage issue went way down. I use the medium pillows. I tried the large but had a hard time keeping them sealed because the strap was so loose so now I will try them again. According to the ResMed software I am only having a mouth breather issue at the end of my night. I am basing this on the leakage chart. But it seems to only happen on nights that I am congested, like last night.

I got a heated hose because I was having rainout. The hose fixed that problem. I have the humidity set to auto but I am thinking that I need to change that to manual because I think the air could be wetter because I am finding dry blood in my nose on days that I wake to air blowing out of my mouth. Going to try that tonight.

I am not going to go into my CPAP history on this post. I will do that on an into thread. But basically I had UPPP SURGERY 10 years ago so I would not need this treatment. But after 10 years I am back to it. Sucks getting older...

I had to use a ffm then and don't want to go back unless I have to...

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2014, 11:25 PM)Raypat Wrote:
(05-28-2014, 10:49 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Hi Raypat, welcome to happy camper land.

The F10 is a fairly new mask and is beginning to get some play around here. So "search" for it and you'll probably find some threads

Well, here it is, for better or worse. First night was a 4 out of 10 for me, however it wasn't a definitive outcome due mainly to my relative inexperience with the wearing of a mask, only been 2+ weeks now, and the fact that I don't think I had gotten the strap tensions right.
Net result was being woken up half a dozen times with heavy leaks at the top of the mask and onto both eyes! Added to that, the pressure was ramped up high and my mouth was like parchment!

I am a side sleeper and sleeping on my back has never worked for me ever since I was a youngster so that wouldn't have helped either. I am also very picky when it comes to pillows and as a result I normally sleep with two. I cannot abide a hard pillow. So saying, the softer pillows would, in all probability, add to the mask displacement when sleeping on my side.

I had more or less the same sorts of problem with the mask that came with the rented unit I was given when I first started on CPAP, but after a while, I finally found the "sweet spot" with that mask, a F&P Simplus, and it worked fine after that.

I did notice some red pressure point markings on either side of my nose this morning after I had removed the T10 mask, but again, that was probably due to a error on my part, due to the incorrect tensioning I had applied to the upper straps and not in anyway due to the mask design.
I guess I will just have to get back on the horse again and have a go at taming the beast using brains rather than brawn.Thinking-about
Hi Raypat,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Better luck tonight with the AirFit F10 and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2014, 07:59 PM)Chrstauffe Wrote: Yes please share your thoughts. I have the P10 as well and am having leakage because my mouth opens when I am congested. Thinking about getting the F10 next week. I have till June 10 to make a change...
Hi Chrstauffe,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully, you can find the mask that works for you.
Better luck to you with CPAP therapy this time around.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Chrstauffe, you may find that starting a thread of your own will get you the help you need.

Meanwhile, I have found that a chinstrap that had a larger chin cup and good pressure on my cheeks has stopped my lip fluttering. I wore it for a week then went without it for a few nights. My Elbow Alarm went off each night to tell me I was making noises. And twice I woke up to feel my cheeks filling with air then air escaping out for a while then my lips closing. Then cheeks filling again, then escaping. My teeth were firmly together.

But with the chinstrap, it doesn't happen. I have the Ruby-Style chinstrap with extensions I got from Supplier #1 (supplier's list link at top of every page).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaO2 will do. I was actually just looking for feedback on the F10. Others prompted me to respond as I did.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know. It happens! These people are insane. I'm just around to keep them from hurting themselves. I'm perfectly sane. Heh.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2014, 04:52 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: I found that the tighter the Quattro Air and Simplus were, the worse the leaks were. My solution was to use the "mask fit" function from the S9's user accessible set-up menu to do the initial fitting. Put the mask on, fire up the fitting function and adjust things until you are comfortable and not getting blasted by leaks. Chances are the tension will end up being a little higher than you need (assuming you don't need 20 cm H20 as part of your therapy)...so you can back it off a bit.

Thanks for the comments, I wasn't aware of the " fit mask" function as I've not had a lot of time to explore all the functionality of the S9. Now that I have purchased my own unit I will have a play around to full familiarise myself with it. As for my pressure settings, my clinician has it set at 20 and that seems to me to be part of the leaking problem. Will ask what the upper range can be before drop off in performance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
I just got the new AirFit F10 2 days ago, and it is the ONLY full face mask that has not "blown off" my face at high pressure. I have tried every single ffm at my DME's office and every one of them (yes the Resmed Mirage included) literally blows off my face when pressures get high.
I have a normal shape face, no facial hair, but have uncontrolled mixed (central and obstructive) sleep apnea, and am on my 6th bi-pap machine (now Resmed S9 Adapt SV).
I've had 6 sleep studies, no UPPP surgery (thank God), and had my lower jaw extended 2 years ago (BSSO). I just had a oxygen saturation study done about 2 weeks ago, and found that I desaturated down to 76%. Over a 7 hour sleep period, I spend almost 20 minutes under 88% saturation, and over 36 minutes under 89% saturation. It looks like I'm going to be sleeping with oxygen again.
Even under the care of one of the best sleep apnea doctors in the Atlanta area, a "good" night for me (AHI wise) is to have a AI index of around 5, hypopnea index of 13 for a combined AHI of 18. No miracle cures in sight for me.
Since getting the F10, I have had the lowest amount of leakage since I started collecting data on my S9, which was August, 2013. By far the best ffm I've ever tried (and believe me, I've tried them all, including using a CPAP gel liner on my Mirage).
I hope my information helps someone.

Simply put, sleep apnea has ruined my life. Hard to remain positive when you're tired all the time.

Jim

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2014, 03:42 PM)becker44a Wrote: [quote='Raypat' pid='70663' dateline='1401337533']
Hi Raypat,
I am also a FFM user, started PAPing in January, so not too far on this journey. My 1st mask was a ResMed Mirage Quattro, and I learned how to get along with it reasonably well, but it seemed like it needed to be cinched down tighter than was really comfortable.
If you can't find a suitable solution with the F10, you might think about the Simplus again

Thanks A Becker, if the F10 doesn't work out I will go back to a Simplus as it seemed to be a good fit when I used it. Will wait and see how things progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2014, 04:51 AM)jhoeger Wrote: I just got the new AirFit F10 2 days ago, and it is the ONLY full face mask that has not "blown off" my face at high pressure. I have tried every single ffm at my DME's office and every one of them (yes the Resmed Mirage included) literally blows off my face when pressures get high.
I have a normal shape face, no facial hair, but have uncontrolled mixed (central and obstructive) sleep apnea, and am on my 6th bi-pap machine (now Resmed S9 Adapt SV).
I've had 6 sleep studies, no UPPP surgery (thank God), and had my lower jaw extended 2 years ago (BSSO). I just had a oxygen saturation study done about 2 weeks ago, and found that I desaturated down to 76%. Over a 7 hour sleep period, I spend almost 20 minutes under 88% saturation, and over 36 minutes under 89% saturation. It looks like I'm going to be sleeping with oxygen again.
Even under the care of one of the best sleep apnea doctors in the Atlanta area, a "good" night for me (AHI wise) is to have a AI index of around 5, hypopnea index of 13 for a combined AHI of 18. No miracle cures in sight for me.
Since getting the F10, I have had the lowest amount of leakage since I started collecting data on my S9, which was August, 2013. By far the best ffm I've ever tried (and believe me, I've tried them all, including using a CPAP gel liner on my Mirage).
I hope my information helps someone.

Simply put, sleep apnea has ruined my life. Hard to remain positive when you're tired all the time.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Very sorry to hear about being tired all the time. It might be worth downloading SleepyHead software, to help better understand the effect of your treatment. Also, are you sleeping on your back, as that typically makes ones AHI score worse? And is it possible that you're mask straps are too tight? Sorry if you've addressed these points before; I thought I'd ask, just in case.

I have had UPPP surgery and can confirm that you're wise not to have it. I wish I hadn't, not least because the success rate is very low (which the doc didn't explain to me) and in my case it didn't work.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,242 5 hours ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 52 3,308 10 hours ago
Last Post: psinderbrand
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,583 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,984 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 300 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 986 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.