Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed AirFit F10
RE: Resmed AirFit F10
(06-15-2014, 04:30 AM)vsheline Wrote: Hi Raypat,

I have been using the F10 with RemZzz for a couple weeks now, with good success. For me, the liner completely eliminates mask flapping.

I do not follow directions by RemZzz to pull on and stretch out the liner after putting on the mask, because stretching makes me unable to re-use the liner. I try to avoid stretching the RemZzz, so one liner will last me 2 or 3 days. I plan to make my own liners some day. I've heard material cut from an old teeshirt works better than the overly-stretchy material used by RemZzz.

I am using a "Large" F10 mask with a "Standard" (medium size) headgear, which work fine on my large head.

Pay attention to the breakdown of the AHI. That is, the OAI (average number of obstructive apneas per hr) and the CAI average number of central apneas per hr), and the HI (average number of hypopneas per hr).

Are your CA events happening at all pressures, fairly randomly, or are your CA events mostly happening when the pressure is above a certain pressure?

Your obstructive events are driving your pressures high, so you are not spending much time at the Minimum Pressure (6). Might not make much difference whether minimum is 6 or 8 or 10 if you are not spending much time that low.

It is possible that it will be helpful to slowly raise your minimum closer to your median pressure, so that your pressure will be more constant during the night, but this could help or hurt (might make number of centrals higher).

Keeping EPR low or OFF often lowers the CAI.

The goal is to lower the overall AHI, and also to avoid extremely long apneas, ones over 45 seconds or so. When long apneas occur, make note of whether these are central or obstructive. Raising the Minimum Pressure will tend to avoid obstructive events but may worsen cental events.

I suggest noting in a journal the dates you change any settings, and watching the data for a week or a month between changes. Otherwise it is very easy to be misled by the natural variability of our AHI into thinking our adjustments are helping or hurting.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn, Ive noted what you have to say and I will start following through on it and see what works for me.
I received my first lot of Remzzz through the post yesterday and would you believe it, they sent me the wrong ones! They were for a nasal mask so I still haven't had a opportunity to try the things!Sad Have returned then and now am waiting and hoping they will send the correct before the end of the week.Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I finally received my Remzzz mask liners and got to to try them over this week-end. First night wasn't as great a success story as I had hoped as I must have fiddled a bit to much, and was woken up at 3 AM with a huge leak on the cheek due to the liner being blown out the side of the mask.
Second night, new liner, and this time I left it well alone and bingo! No leak problems, The liner even seemed to be in perfect shape the next morning so will use it again tonight.
This is still early days for me but its a good start and I'm a lot happier. So far so good. Here's hoping!

As a possible future experiment, I placed a new liner in my scanner, placed a sheet of dark A4 paper over the top of the liner and hit the scan button. Hey-presto, I now have full sized electronic image of the liner for possible future use as a pattern. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it's been just over month now that I have been using my ResMed F10 and I can now say that I have been getting steadily improving results in my treatment. It's not perfect yet as I am still scoring higher than 5 in the AHI results but still getting single digits results. Have been upping the lower pressure setting and it seems to be improving things.
The mask is not feeling as restrictive it first seemed and the comfort level seems much better now as well. I must be coming to terms with at last. It's very light weight seems to me as a great means of assisting my acceptance of the mask and I hardly notice it now days. If I have any criticism at all it would be that the Velcro tabs are a little on the narrow side and I sometimes find it difficult to feel for the edges to reset the straps. As for leaks, Since using the Remzzz liners with it, the leaks have almost disappeared altogether!
Now, if I could only sort out the dry mouth issues I would be a very happy man!:grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
Try more humidification. Use hose sleeves if necessary and if further necessary keep as much of the hose as you can under the covers with you.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Raypat, I can speak to your dry mouth issue... I have an exceptionally dry mouth. What I did was, I found a big double-walled mug with a cover and its own straw. I fill it half-full with water and keep on a low stool about 4 steps away from my bed... not by the machine in case I set it down wrong and it spills. If wake during the night needing water, I pull the connector off the F10 and sip away.. for me, the connector is directly opposite my mouth so it is easy to do this with the built-in straw. If your connector doesn't line up with your mouth, then a flexible straw should work, but probably be a little awkward. I am reaching a point where I mostly don't notice the dry mouth, and I suspect that is because I am getting used to it.

About the RemZzzzs... I've been washing and reusing mine, laying them flat to dry, then ironing them to help them retain their shape. I have also made my own from an old T-shirt... works well. I put them in a mesh wash bag in the washing machine and lay them flat to dry... they curl up into a little ball and I have to reshape them when I lay them flat.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was using a nasal mask, I used to get dry mouth so badly that it was painful and I could not set my humidifier to more than about 2.5 without getting condensation in the mask. Tried a chin strap but did very little for my mouth leakage. Going to the full face mask helped but still had some dry mouth. I do not have heated tubing. I purchased a tubing sleeve from Padacheek and it seemed to work better than the sleeve the DME had given me. With the new tubing sleeve, I am able to mas out the setting on my humidifier and now when I wake up in the morning my mouth is only a tiny bit drier than normal with my humidifier set at 6. On the weekends, because I sleep a little longer, I have to turn the humidifier setting down one notch to avoid running the humidifier dry. Sad experience has taught me that running the humidifier dry is not good and certainly gives me dry mouth.

The reason for all of this is because I like to be able to sleep through the night without waking up as much as possible.

best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2014, 07:20 AM)DNB128 Wrote: Raypat, I can speak to your dry mouth issue... I have an exceptionally dry mouth. What I did was, I found a big double-walled mug with a cover and its own straw. I fill it half-full with water and keep on a low stool about 4 steps away from my bed... not by the machine in case I set it down wrong and it spills. If wake during the night needing water, I pull the connector off the F10 and sip away.. for me, the connector is directly opposite my mouth so it is easy to do this with the built-in straw. If your connector doesn't line up with your mouth, then a flexible straw should work, but probably be a little awkward. I am reaching a point where I mostly don't notice the dry mouth, and I suspect that is because I am getting used to it.

About the RemZzzzs... I've been washing and reusing mine, laying them flat to dry, then ironing them to help them retain their shape. I have also made my own from an old T-shirt... works well. I put them in a mesh wash bag in the washing machine and lay them flat to dry... they curl up into a little ball and I have to reshape them when I lay them flat.
Thanks for sharing that with us DNB128.
The F10 mask hose connection point also 'sort of' lines up with the mouth and I suppose the straw sippy cup method would help with the dry mouth issue. I will have to give it a try and see how it goes.

The humidity level on my machine is set on auto climate control but I can change it to manual and take it up to level 6 from the get go and see if that works. No real harm in trying.
I like the idea of washing the Remzzz liners as they are expensive here in Australia. I also don't have a supplier handy, and I have to order then from half way across the country which again adds to the cost.
I have been able to get two to three nights out of each mask so a pack of thirty liners should last a while. Still, I intend to look around for a supply of similar material and make my own.
Post Reply Post Reply
Old Tshirt material seems to work well for many!

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2014, 10:47 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Old Tshirt material seems to work well for many!

I've read about using T shirt material on other web sites but there seems to be a wide array of materials used. I understand that a 50% cotton- 50% synthetic is a ideal material, at least that's the claimThinking-about
I'm now looking around local stores to see if I can find something that fits the bill. Will post a reply once I've tried out the materials on hand.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Well its been nearly 4 months since I first posted this topic and I must say that I am now happy with the ResMed F10! In my case, using it in conjunction with a fabric liner has solved the problems of leaks around the bridge of the nose while still retains the lightness and comfort that the mask is known for. I still have to cinch up straps a tad more than I would like but at least I don't feel as if my head is in a vice, as it was with the F&P simplus that I have. Thats now in the standby box until I need to use it. hopefully never! I now make my own liners after a period of trial and error but now that I have found a fabric that does the same sort of job as the Remzee liners I first used I cut and use them as I need. The Remzee were hard to come by here in Australia and cost a arm and a leg to buy hence I sought a alternative.
So to sum up, the F10 is for me, a step forward, both comfortable and light weight in design. Its been well engineered with comfort in mind. Ive often wondered if the guys(or gals) who first came up with these designs ever spent a night in bed with a mask on to see how it fits and feels...!
peaceful sleep has returned to my night life and I'm a happy dreamer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 49 3,113 38 minutes ago
Last Post: yankees123
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,567 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,974 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 985 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,129 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.