Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Airfit P10
RE: ResMed Airfit P10
Notice however that the soar chest muscles are not something they feel AS they breath, but a soreness from perhaps the extra effort to exhale or maybe it is for a different reason.

The point is that you cannot IN GENERAL feel pressure directly unless there is a clear differential (the chest muscle thing is actually due to that differential.)

This is especially true for the term "being blown away" -- that's a description of WIND. Wind must GO somewhere.

This is really simple -- think it through.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I've thought it through, and your theory doesn't make sense. I won't argue you about it though. I am an intelligent, mature, thinking adult and I know the difference between a leak, intentional or not, and the feel of air on or in my nostrils. When I switched from the Breeze to the Swift LT, I had to adjust the EPR because the difference in the masks was enough that I could not breathe out as well with the Swift as I could the Breeze. When I tried the P10, I again had to increase the EPR to alleviate the "smothered" feeling I had.

I've been using a CPAP for quite some time. I think I know what I am feeling by now.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's the pressure difference that we can feel with our bodies and measure with our gauges. When a pressure difference exists it may or may not result in fluid (e.g. air) motion. With CPAP machines we measure this pressure difference in cm H2O. We measure the rate of fluid motion in liters per minute and call it the leak rate.

When we use the word "pressure" we are almost always referring to a pressure difference, referred to technically as the gauge pressure. For example, if we report a CPAP pressure of 13 cm H2O, what we mean is that the pressure difference between the air inside the hose and the air outside the hose is 13 cm H2O.

It is this pressure difference that we feel. It can occur when there's a very small leak rate or when there's a very large leak rate.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that is correct, and "WIND" is a manefestation of a SIGNIFICANT pressure difference, or a difference being forced through a SMALL opening.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
A pressure difference is a necessary but insufficient cause for air movement. In other words, you must have a pressure difference to have air movement, but you can have a pressure difference and have no air movement. It can be the pressure difference that bothers many beginning CPAP users, and not the air movement.

You see us all arguing this point against you Herb because you said "I suspect almost every complaint about being 'blown away' by 'pressure' is really about LEAKS".

We are pointing out that your suspicion is wrong because when a newbie sees your post count and your status on Apnea Board they will place a greater weight on your comments. Someone really may be struggling with adapting to the pressure and then think, well, if I can just get my leaks under control my problems will be solved. For many of us that's not the case. It's the pressure itself and not the resulting leak that's responsible for many adaptation problems.

In my case the pressure has to be below a certain level or I'll start swallowing air. Getting my leaks under control won't solve this problem. Reducing the pressure, and in particular the lowering of the expiratory pressure that can only be accomplished by switching to a bilevel CPAP machine, was and is the solution.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So simply tell me what it means to be "blown away WITHOUT AIR MOVEMENT" (aka WIND)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
Can someone fill me in on EPR? What is it/where do I find it on my machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
vpaps don't have it, they don't need it.

epr is like a poor mans vpap, it's a pressure drop when not inhaling.
Post Reply Post Reply
oh, I see. Thanks for letting me know!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2014, 12:59 PM)Clementine Wrote: Can someone fill me in on EPR? What is it/where do I find it on my machine?

It lowers the pressure on exhale, and you can set it to 1, 2, or 3.

The reason we don't need it with our VPAP's is because we can set the inhale pressure (IPAP) and exhale pressure (EPAP) separately.

Likely you had difficulty exhaling against the pressure during your sleep study. That's the usual reason for a doctor prescribing a VPAP.

You can look at the bar graph on your machine's display and watch the pressure change from IPAP to EPAP and back again with every breath.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 46 3,016 5 hours ago
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,561 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 983 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.