Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed AirMini vs....?
Resmed AirMini vs....?
My Dreamstation Go is toast due to the Philips foam-gate recall so  I need a new travel machine.  I have a new Resmed Autoset 10 in transit to me right now so I'm set for regular home use.  I like having a second machine so I don't have to break down my primary machine on travel days, as well as to help reduce the amount of bulk that I have to carry.

3-years ago I chose the DSG as being the superior solution (for me) vs the Resmed AirMini.  I was very happy with the DSG, and literally was ready to purchase the humidifier for it on the morning of the Philips recall announcement.  Now I have to replace it entirely.

Is Resmed AirMini the default and only real choice here?  I know of the Z1/Z2 machines but always thought of them as 'no-frills' type budget machines, but I'll admit my ignorance on the company, its products, and qualities.  I don't think there's a third real option, worth consideration, no?  I can get the former for <$600 and the latter for $400.   I use the N20 mask as my everyday anyway so I'm not too worried about limited mask choices.

I recall reading about the 'Darth Vader' breathing noise coming from the AirMini.  The DSG was already louder than the DS1, will the AirMini be even louder?  I remember when Philips and Resmed launched their travel machines I recall reading posts from AirMini users who thought the sound was a deal breaker for them.  I don't recall those types of complaints with the DSG at the time.

My pressure is set to 11 minimum and I have not had to use the Flex option; not sure is EPR on the Resmed contributes to the "Darth Vader' breathing or is independent of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed AirMini vs....?
Take a look at the size of the Resmed Autoset before making a decision. I also have a Dreamstation Go with humidifier for travel and once I saw the Resmed, I ordered another power supply and heated hose with the idea of just taking the Resmed with me for travel to see how it goes before buying anything else. The case it ships with packs everything in a nice compact package, plus it's very quiet in operation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2021, 12:17 PM)adrmannyc Wrote: Take a look at the size of the Resmed Autoset before making a decision. I also have a Dreamstation Go with humidifier for travel and once I saw the Resmed, I ordered another power supply and heated hose with the idea of just taking the Resmed with me for travel to see how it goes before buying anything else. The case it ships with packs everything in a nice compact package, plus it's very quiet in operation.

From what I've seen online the The Resmed Autoset does pack much more nicely that the Philips Dreamstation ever did.  The Autoset packs away in a normal laptop size shoulder bag which is nice.  I think the Autoset would be fine for car trips, which is the only thing on my radar this summer but, for air travel I don't think it would be good enough based on my own travel experience & needs.

When I'm traveling for work, I avoid checking a bag at all costs.  All my gear has to fit into my 22"x14"x9" rollerboard and either a backpack or shoulder bag.  I have to fit a laptop, as well as other gear and meds to manage my T1 diabetes.  I wear an insulin pump, and have a Dexcom CGM, so I'm usually carrying a dopp kit sized internal bag of ancillary gear to account for all contingencies (Like NASA I carry backups for backups).  I know a CPAP bag wont count against me, but traveling light has always been a challenge for me, especially ever since I started CPAP therapy. I would also fear eventually damaging a full size unit that I relied on for primary home usage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully other AirMini users will chime in, but you don't have many choices for a travel machine.

It might be helpful to check the review forum for any reviews on the AirMini and Z2.

Also, don't know how important it is to you, but the AirMini is not supported by OSCAR.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2021, 01:17 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Hopefully other AirMini users will chime in, but you don't have many choices for a travel machine.

It might be helpful to check the review forum for any reviews on the AirMini and Z2.

Also, don't know how important it is to you, but the AirMini is not supported by OSCAR.

I definitely have some reading to do in the review forum to see how the AirMini has fared with owners since it was released.

I am aware of the Oscar limitation and I'm not overly concerned.  With the DSG I never bothered to get a MicroSD card until ironically just a few weeks ago, and when I was using the DSG for business travel, my sleep was so disrupted anyway that it probably would not have been of much value in it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,278 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 154 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 922 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree
  Connect Medistrom Pilot 12 Plus to Airsense 11 and Airmini? ICS55 2 308 02-18-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: ICS55
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 360 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 924 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 251 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.