Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed AirSense 10 auto, did I get a used machine?
Resmed AirSense 10 auto, did I get a used machine?
I recently started using a newer CPAP after using the respironics system one for years. I just got the AirSense 10 Autoset. 

I’ve used it about 14 days and have put about 130 hrs on it. 
I’ve noticed though that the used hours are 130.5 and the run hours are 140. 
Would this indicate a used machine?  Maybe someone tried it for 2 or 3 days and returned it?

Should I demand a new machine?  Should I tell my insurance? Do they need to tell me if it’s not brand new?

And I am not completely happy with this new machine. It’s set at the same pressure as my system one was, but I am not waking as rested and refreshed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed AirSense 10 auto, did I get a used machine?
If you are getting the "used hours" from the Sleep Report screen, a few lines above that you should see one for "Period" (meaning 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, etc.). The Used Hours is for that Period. Is it possible you used it an extra day outside that period? The 'Run Hours' (from the clinicians menu "About") is the total time the machine has run for its life.

For example:
My Period is set to 1 month and my Used Hours are 267.1
My Run Hours are 849

If you have an SD card in the machine, and a computer, you can download OSCAR and import your SD card data. The Daily page will show you how many hours your session was. And the Statistics page will show your average hours of use.
Also, the machine will go into "Cool Down" mode after you stop it. And if you use the Pre-heat function, both should also increase the Run Hours (Total machine hours).

EDIT: Mask Fit will also add to the Run Hours. Basically, anything that causes the blower motor to turn on (pre-heat and cool down both run the blower at very low speed).

See if things add up after checking.

If your not happy with the machine it may just be a matter of tweaking your settings. If you install OSCAR you can post some screen shots of your data and other (more knowledgable) members will likely be able to help with getting you machine adjusted properly.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The additional run time is probably from the time the motor runs while the machine cools down after you turn it off. (You may have noticed that it continues to blow a little air for a while; it's cooling itself.) So I think your machine was new.

Your old PR machine and your new ResMed machine use different algorithms for their operation, so that may be part of what you're noticing.

As for your settings: it'd be great if you could use the Oscar software and post a chart so the experts could take a look and recommend any needed tweaks to your settings. Your new machine can give you true EPR (exhale pressure relief), and it can operate with a pressure range, as opposed to a fixed pressure. You might like using some of these additional capabilities.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm on board with the discrepancy on the hour meters likely being due to the cool down action after you shut the machine off. While it's possible you did get a used machine, this scenario sounds nearly identical to my own a few years ago when I'd gotten the ASV.

I looked at the Run and Use meters, saw a difference and assumed the DME sent a used machine. The DME did replace it with another brand new unit, but soon after hindsight kicked in and I recall not counting the cool down additional time.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot about the cool down period. The manual says it is 30 minutes so that almost accounts for all but about 3 hours. 

Also there was no SD card in the unit. I did put one in though and will be loading it into OSCAR in a couple days. I’ve only used the machine in January. 
Would the SD card data show if there was usage in other dates, dates even before the SD card was inserted?
Post Reply Post Reply
I could be wrong, but I don't know if you'd see data from previous use. I suppose it could be there, but only some summary data not detailed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt it is used.

Maybe post some OSCAR charts up to see how things are looking? My understanding is that converting from PR to Resmed is not always seamless and that you may need to alter settings a bit to get the same results. Details on your PR settings versus Resmed might help figure out any potential discrepancies especially with regards to flex/epr as that is one of the major differences.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I went through the process of returning a used resmed auto set for a new one. I believe in the menu somewhere there was a date for when the unit was first used. I thought it was in the area where the hours show. Someone here will know and post it soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2020, 02:29 PM)Nightynite Wrote: When I went through the process of returning a used resmed auto set for a new one. I believe in the menu somewhere there was a date for when the unit was first used.  I thought it was in the area where the hours show.  Someone here will know and post it soon.

Would you please explain the process of returning a used machine for a new one. Was your machine paid for by medicare, other insurance or out of pocket by you? I was given a used machine with 1400 hours already on it. I can't find any info that states the DME has to supply a "new machine" for a Medicare (with other ins.) patient. Since it's a 13 month rental agreement for Medicare, what prevents the DME from supplying a used machine? Is there any documentation stating they must supply a new machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
The price they charge.
We advocate that you, not the DME is the customer.
Would you buy a new to you car with only 1400 miles on it? Didn't think so. Nothing different with a CPAP.
Show outrage that they, the DME would cheat you in such a manner.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 18 347 19 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,715 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,593 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,762 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,495 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.