Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed AirSense 10, humidifier discoloring on bottom?
RE: Resmed AirSense 10, humidifier discoloring on bottom?
Hmm, thanks. Sorry, I meant the 3RD link from my google link.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2016, 11:29 AM)Jackie1 Wrote:
(01-06-2016, 11:00 AM)Jim Bronson Wrote: Pix would help. I've had mine for more than a year, and never had a bit of discoloration.

Here. I usually top off every day with new distilled water.

You should always empty it out every day. I remove tank, empty the water, pull out the seal, turn the seal sideways and leave it between the opening to prop the lid open so it can dry out during the day. With the tank out it lets the seals and hose dry out as well. If you just keep adding water you will grow a culture for sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2016, 02:12 PM)player Wrote:
(01-06-2016, 11:29 AM)Jackie1 Wrote:
(01-06-2016, 11:00 AM)Jim Bronson Wrote: Pix would help. I've had mine for more than a year, and never had a bit of discoloration.

Here. I usually top off every day with new distilled water.

You should always empty it out every day. I remove tank, empty the water, pull out the seal, turn the seal sideways and leave it between the opening to prop the lid open so it can dry out during the day. With the tank out it lets the seals and hose dry out as well. If you just keep adding water you will grow a culture for sure.

Why?

Not if you clean it weekly. A DROP OF BLEACH will kill 100% of what's in there - including you if you don't rinse the crap out of it after. So if you are confident you can be absolutely sure that you didn't leave an atom of chlorine gas on the thing you will be sucking from, that's the best ferm killer. Not something I would recommend for your average idiot though... Or for people who have someone who is in your will that cleans it for you. Basically, by the time you have difficulty breathing, it's too late. I had that experience once. Different reason, but for about 20 minutes after being extracted from the area by first responder emergency personnel, it became more and more difficult to breathe.

Fortunately, I had my parachute on, so I had the pilot drop the gargo bay door on the c130 at 30,000 feet and I jumped. That is the only way I could get enough fresh air rushing by to suck the deadly gas out of my little plolyampules or whatever they call those little berries in your lungs. Anyway, when I finally landed, I was fine. But my eyes were gobstoppers and my twig and two berries were twisted around each other from the crude military harness.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2016, 04:07 PM)mhannigan Wrote:
(01-06-2016, 02:12 PM)player Wrote:
(01-06-2016, 11:29 AM)Jackie1 Wrote: Here. I usually top off every day with new distilled water.

Why?

Not if you clean it weekly. A DROP OF BLEACH will kill 100% of what's in there - including you if you don't rinse the crap out of it after.

Bacteria will explode in warm water in 20 minutes. You are not living in a 100% sterile environment, so you are creating the absolute perfect way to grow microbes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2016, 03:30 AM)player Wrote: Bacteria will explode in warm water in 20 minutes. You are not living in a 100% sterile environment, so you are creating the absolute perfect way to grow microbes.

Got any actual evidence to back up your claim? You gave none.

There is water and water. Distilled water will NOT support bacterial growth, since growth for any kind of life requires nutrients, like carbohydrates, fat, or protein - distilled water has none of these. Most tap water is also nearly free of nutrients that will grow bacteria, though not all towns are up to standards.

The water in the air in the hose from your humidifier will have NO bacteria in it because the air comes from evaporation which is the same thing as distillation.

If you drop a sugar cube into your humidifier reservoir it will grow bacteria, sure, because you've provided it with a nice pile of nutrients.

And bacteria are all around you, on you, and inside you all of the time. In fact there are vastly more bacterial cells in your body than there are actual human cells. That's why the human biome has recently become such a hot field for study.

I use distilled water and add more in daily. Once a week I empty the reservoir and put some hydrogen peroxide bleach in it. I have not come down with any dreaded diseases in the year I have been doing this. Of course this is a meaningless anecdote and provides no real useful evidence, just as your claims about bacterial growth in water provide no useful evidence.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2016, 06:03 PM)Jackie1 Wrote: Anyone have this issue? Brand new machine, and using only distilled water.
Yes I have a very similar discolouring and I think its from MFG the bottom steel plate to plastic when they used a adhesive maybe to bond the two together. My machine is just over one month old and has never run dry.Dont-know

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2016, 02:53 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(01-07-2016, 03:30 AM)player Wrote: Bacteria will explode in warm water in 20 minutes. You are not living in a 100% sterile environment, so you are creating the absolute perfect way to grow microbes.

Got any actual evidence to back up your claim? You gave none.

There is water and water. Distilled water will NOT support bacterial growth, since growth for any kind of life requires nutrients, like carbohydrates, fat, or protein - distilled water has none of these. Most tap water is also nearly free of nutrients that will grow bacteria, though not all towns are up to standards.

The water in the air in the hose from your humidifier will have NO bacteria in it because the air comes from evaporation which is the same thing as distillation.

If you drop a sugar cube into your humidifier reservoir it will grow bacteria, sure, because you've provided it with a nice pile of nutrients.

And bacteria are all around you, on you, and inside you all of the time. In fact there are vastly more bacterial cells in your body than there are actual human cells. That's why the human biome has recently become such a hot field for study.

I use distilled water and add more in daily. Once a week I empty the reservoir and put some hydrogen peroxide bleach in it. I have not come down with any dreaded diseases in the year I have been doing this. Of course this is a meaningless anecdote and provides no real useful evidence, just as your claims about bacterial growth in water provide no useful evidence.

There was some test done by a member on here.
See this http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Humidifier
Post Reply Post Reply
As soon as you have cracked the lid on that distilled water jug, you have ceased all possible sterility of it (assuming it was sterile to begin with). Unless your bedroom is sterile, the humidifier tank is sterile, the air is sterile, the hose is sterile and... you get the point. Crap is going to grow in that water if it is not dumped out and changed daily.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2016, 06:50 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: As soon as you have cracked the lid on that distilled water jug, you have ceased all possible sterility of it (assuming it was sterile to begin with).

You are missing the point, I think. It's not about "sterile" - distilled water, assuming it is truly distilled water, is H2O and H2O only. Bacteria that get on it will find nothing to eat and will soon die of starvation.

Heck the air you breath in isn't "sterile", it's full of bacteria. And if you are truly worried about bacteria never go into your bathroom or use a door handle.

In fact the number one best way to protect yourself from infections is to wash your hands properly in soap and water several times each day. Especially after you've touched another person's hands, or raw food (and not just raw meat).

I have not seen any evidence that the humidified air can carry bacteria to the mask even if the water is polluted. Water that sublimes into the air via evaporation carries no bugs with it, no nothing except molecules of H2O. And of course your mask will be full of bacteria anyway, from your breath and spittle. The manufacturer of my mask nevertheless only recommends weekly washing, not daily.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2016, 06:03 PM)Jackie1 Wrote: Anyone have this issue? Brand new machine, and using only distilled water.

I haven't read any replies, so take that at will! I hope I am not retreading any information and wasting your time!

Inspect the chamber to see if the discoloration is removable as if some type of build up from the water you are using or cleaning solutions is leaving some sort of residue. If it is not this and it is more a non-removable burn, then call your provider immediately and get the machine exchanged under warranty!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,353 7 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Question [CPAP] Can't get to the bottom of my congestion. Yeliad 3 204 Yesterday, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 101 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 120 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,923 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 353 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 129 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.