Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Airsense autoset
Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Airsense autoset
Just trying to get a handle on all the machines out there. Will the Aircurve ASV do everything plus more what the airsense will do or are they completely different? In otherwords is the ASV the answer to all or just specific problem apneas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Airsense autoset
The ASV machine stands for Adaptive Servo Ventilator. It is typically dispensed for those patients, like myself, that have proven during a sleep study there are central, or mixed, apneas that need treated. Most patients will not require this level of device. Insurance will typically require at least CPAP failure and a PSG sleep study that indicates central or mixed apnea that are not treated successfully via a CPAP to dispense an ASV. Some will also require a BPAP failure as well. And each step may require the device-specific PSG sleep study. ASV qualified patients will need to pass a LVEF (Left Ventricle Ejection Fraction) heart echo image testing with a number of <40% disqualifying. It is used to indicate heart health regarding congestive heart failure or not, as I understand it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ASV can be setup to do everything an Autoset CPAP or Aircurve VPAP can do and more...and it costs plenty.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2018, 09:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The ASV can be setup to do everything an Autoset CPAP or Aircurve  VPAP can do and more...and it costs plenty.

Did Resmed change this with the Aircurve 10 series? I know they added AutoASV mode, but did they also add AutoSet and EPR to the CPAP mode?

Other than standard ASV mode my S9 ASV can only operate as a very simple constant pressure CPAP with ramp. No AutoSet or EPR. Also can't do bi-level.
Post Reply Post Reply
My ASV has 3 modes: CPAP, ASV, and ASV Auto. ASV has a single EPAP pressure setting, while ASV Auto modifies EPAP to have a Minimum and Maximum range to select from automatically. This edit is on top of having a Pressure Support range of Min and Max in both ASV and ASV Auto. EPAP + PS = IPAP. With proper setting adjustments, I think the ASV can mimic almost all machines beneath it on the family tree. I do think, though, it may not have every setting available to be exactly like all those other machines. And, of course, I may be incorrect. If so, feel free to state that, as I do want proper info out there for best answers available.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2018, 09:34 PM)foxfire Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 09:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The ASV can be setup to do everything an Autoset CPAP or Aircurve  VPAP can do and more...and it costs plenty.

Did Resmed change this with the Aircurve 10 series? I know they added AutoASV mode, but did they also add AutoSet and EPR to the CPAP mode?

Other than standard ASV mode my S9 ASV can only operate as a very simple constant pressure CPAP with ramp. No AutoSet or EPR. Also can't do bi-level.

I said it can do it all, I didn't say it had an Autoset mode.  If you need a CPAP or VPAP get one and save some money.  This ASV can vary pressure like an auto CPAP by setting a range for EPAP min and max and limiting the pressure support, but what a waste.  It can if necessary be crippled, to behave as something other than ASV, but why?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dont-know

My humble opinion is that if a CPAP or BPAP gives effective therapy, then the ASV, and it's added expense, is not the route to take.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input, I was just curious if ASV would do everything and more. Wasn't planning to buy one unless a super deal came by. Which by the way what would be a deal? I think they are around $4000 in these parts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2018, 12:26 AM)mjoereid Wrote: Thanks for the input, I was just curious if ASV would do everything and more. Wasn't planning to buy one unless a super deal came by. Which by the way what would be a deal?  I think they are around $4000 in these parts.

Yes, at $4000, an ASV will cost four or five times as much as an Autoset, and it won't be covered by insurance if not medically necessary. You'd need to find one which fell off the back of a truck to get a worthwhile deal. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
If you look up the websites, you may find that an ASV can't do everything an S, ST, VAPS or even the auto VPAP can do. The resmed ASV can't provide more than min PS:6. It can't support minute ventilation and the machine follows the last few minutes. It can spiral down to very low minute ventilation levels. The ASV can also do things the S, ST or auto vaps can't do. It really is your doctor choosing the right machine for the job.
Very simply, the BPAP, VPAP, S, ST, VAPS are for mechanical issues, the ASV is for brain, nervous system and PB issues.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with new AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings aubreyjs 6 133 6 hours ago
Last Post: aubreyjs
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 44 7 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 82 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,464 Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
Question [Equipment] What Is Autoset (ResMed) 10 and Can It Be Disabled? Rickyricardo 2 70 Yesterday, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 111 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 1,001 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.