Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Phillips Drean ST autoSV H/C DS
Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Phillips Drean ST autoSV H/C DS
The Medicare DME  was suppose to deliver a Resmed Aircurve ASV 10.  Instead, they just dropped off a Dreamstation Bipap auto ASV.  Is there a big difference in these machines?  Is it worth hassling  with the DME for the Resmed?   I have been using a Resmed Airsense Autoset was was comfortable with it, other that the fact that it was not dealing with my centrals.  I seemed to recall that some here preferred the Resmed but would like some input before I call the DME.  Thanks
Ray
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Phillips Drean ST autoSV H/C DS
We have a lot of experience from members using both machines, and those that have used both the Dreamstation and the Aircurve 10 ASV have decidedly preferred the Resmed. There is a long history of us fighting hypopnea and residual apnea, as well as dealing with sync and comfort problems with Philips machines. Please call them back and get what you asked for. If you use the machine, you will likely be stuck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Sleeprider. Most of us that have used an ASV prefer ResMed. It is the machine I have currently. Most find and report the ResMed responds faster and more naturally, and I've found it accurately describes a ResMed with my own usage. To be fair and accurate, there's a select group of ASV users that would benefit from timing controls that are absent from the ResMed ASV and are found on the Respironics. However, the problem is that unless self funding, and you actually want to buy 2 machines, this would be a difficult and expensive experiment to find which is best for you.

I would strongly voice an opinion to the DME that you prefer ResMed and it makes a difference to you. Find what options you have and exercise that which gives you the ResMed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will third the statements send back the Philips and demand a Resmed
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input.  I am going to try to get the Resmed.  The DME is owned by the local medical group that owns the local hospitals and supports most of the medical groups that I use so I am inclined to want to stay with them.  I suspect that they may have intended to send the Resmed machine but found they did not have one in stock (the delivery ticket listed Resmed but was crossed  out and Phillips penciled in).  I am going to talk with them tomorrow and if they are not willing to find a Resmed machine, I will attempt to find one myself from the other DME's that are Medicare providers in my area.  Again thanks for the input.
Post Reply Post Reply
As you know, you will be using this machine for at least the next five years. It's best to get it right. In the event you do end up with the Dreamstation Auto SV, it's only fair to acknowledge that there are users of that machine that like it. Here is a positive review: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ap-Auto-SV
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm another who tried the Philips and changed to Resmed (some years ago). To do justice to the Philips, it has a lot of manual settings which are absent from the Resmed. That means there are a lot of settings to get wrong, but with a skilled therapist it should work pretty well. Resmed accomplish all these settings in software so the user doesn't have to worry about them.

Generally, I will side with those who recommend Resmed. In my experience it's a much better machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reference to the Dreamstation Bipap ASV review.  I guess there is more than one valid opinion on any issue and it made me more comofrtable with the prospect of ending up with the Dreamstation.  I spoke with the DME and expressed my desire for the Resmed Aircurve ASV.  After some research, they reported back that the doctor had prescribed a setting that was only available on the Dreamstation.  I think that may have been a breath rate which he prescribed as Auto.  If I am reading the posts correctly, that is handled  automatically (without a setting) in the Resmed.  Anyway, they expressed a willingness to work with me, but it may entail getting more information from the sleep doctor.  In the meantime, I spent the first night in a while without any Cpap support.  Thanks to everyone for your comments and opinions.  They are very helpful. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
The Aircurve 10 ASV has a backup setting that is always on Auto, but defaults to 15 bpm. A setting is not needed. The machine measures your spontaneous breath rate over a 90 second period and maintains that natural rate if you stop breathing. This is similar to the way it targets your normal minute vent.

Your DME seems to either know enough to tell you a story they want you to believe, or doesn't know much about this machine. My guess is the former.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
The DME has been very responsive (and polite).  They contacted the doctors office and expected to hear back from him today.  They plan on making a swap tomorrow.  So far I am very impressed with the DME's response.  I thought the issue was the rate adjustment, but apparently it was the pressure setting he specified.  So far all is good  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,490 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.