Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 Auto
Resmed Airsense 10 Auto
I had been using a Resmed 8 Autoset for the last eight years. The pressure was set at 9-16. I was using the Resmed Quattro full face mask. I finally got my insurance to pay for a new machine(March 2015) I got the Resmed Airsense 10 auto and I changed my mask to a F&P Simplus full face. My pressure settings were set the same 9-16. When using my Resmed 8, I would check my stats every morning and I kept a written log. My pressure averaged around 10 to 12 and never over 13. Now with my Resmed Airsense 10 my pressure from the very first day is 15.9, everyday with no change. Also, problems with my mask. It seemed more comfortable at first, but I am having problems with leaks. I am awakened several times during the night with air puffing out by my cheeks. The Quattro mask was uncomfortable, especially the forehead pieces (but it did work) What I am really concerned about is the pressure change. I don't see how that could happen over night, unless my machine is malfunctioning. Every morning on MyAir I check my stats and it reads excellent in all areas. But I know that I am not feeling excellent. I wake up with a foggy headache and I am tired all day. I usually get a score of 97 or 98 every day. I would get 100 percent but they take off for removing the mask which I do several times a night. So I am not too impressed with the smiley faces. Tonight I am going to use my old Quattro mask and see if that helps. Tomorrow night I am going to use my old Resmed 8 and see what my pressure reads. Has anyone had similar problems with pressure when changing machines. I am new to this site (but not new to sleep apnea) and I hope I am posting this in the right forum. Thank you for any suggestions you might have.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 Auto
Resmed did change the Pressure Response Algorithm from the old S8 days, when the S9 came out.......I think for all practical purposes the S9 Algorithm and the new Airsense Algorithm are the same, but I know there was a change from the S8.

I think if you were to download Sleepyhead and check whats going on you'd probably find that your new Airsense is more sensitive in its response to Flow Limitations than the S8 was. I have a somewhat similar experience between my F&P Icon Auto and my Airsense Autoset, the Airsense wants to go higher than the F&P.

If the higher pressure that your Airsense is going to becomes a problem you might think about bringing your upper setting down until it behaves more like your S8. You should probably get the Sleepyhead software downloaded so you can keep a closer eye on what's really going on with the pressure changes on your machine.

I initially lowered my upper limit on the Airsense for a period of time to get used to the higher pressure and then gradually over the course of a few months I let the upper limit adjust upwards at 0.2 cm increments. In my particular case the Airsense and S9 will go higher than I really want them to, so I keep a limit on the upper setting, but I do this under very careful analysis on Sleepyhead. And I actually find my AHI is better with the limited upper pressure setting, if I let the machine go as high as it wants I begin to see and increase in Central Apneas, and I have a harder time with mask leaks too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Raneydey,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck adjusting to your new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
First of all the S8 would not respond to any apneas that occurred when the pressure was over (I think it was) 12 cm/H2O for fear that they might be centrals. The newer algorithm starting with the S9s can differentiate between OAs and CAs so it will respond to OAs at any pressure.

I think that the S9 and newer machines respond more aggressively to flow limitations.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Raneydey, welcome to the forum
My A10 AutoSet pressure is always higher than S9 AutoSet, been told the algorthim have not changed but I differ ...
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

AirSesne 10 Autoset for Her is more gentle and the algorthim is female specific

I narrowed the range lowering the maximum pressure somewhat, until flow limitation is acceptable and AHI consistently below 1

I'm not sure different masks (ResMed or F P) makes all that difference, just like S8, A10 have a mask setting for each mask type

15.9 (95th percentile) means pressure was at or below 15.9 for 95% of the night, not all night long
My Air only provide basic info, download ResScan or SleepyHead, to have a better idea of whats goes on during the night
[ResScan windows only, SleepyHead windows and Mac]

As for "Also, problems with my mask. It seemed more comfortable at first, but I am having problems with leaks"

Are you using Ramp, if so turn off and try "mask fit" feature when you put the mask on

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I will definitely lower my max pressure tonight, only a little at a time. I was thinking I needed to increase the pressure, but lowering it makes more sense. I'm also going to continue to use my F&P mask because it is more comfortable. I don't think I am tech savvy enough to use the Sleepyhead site. My desktop is really outdated and it is not used much. I just mostly use my iPad. Thanks again for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a cloth mask liner on my F&P Simplus, it makes it more comfortable and also tames the leaks a bit more than without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
How are you able to lower or raise the pressure on your machine? I thought that only the DME could do that.

(07-14-2015, 08:29 PM)Raneydey Wrote: Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I will definitely lower my max pressure tonight, only a little at a time. I was thinking I needed to increase the pressure, but lowering it makes more sense. I'm also going to continue to use my F&P mask because it is more comfortable. I don't think I am tech savvy enough to use the Sleepyhead site. My desktop is really outdated and it is not used much. I just mostly use my iPad. Thanks again for your help.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2015, 01:49 AM)Dagmar1 Wrote: How are you able to lower or raise the pressure on your machine? I thought that only the DME could do that.

CPAP machines are simple to program. Generally, you hold down two buttons for 3-5 seconds to get into the setup menu. For instructions and to request a clinician's manual from Apnea Board, go to

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 85 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,465 Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 139 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,653 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 27,011 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 138 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Resmed Aircurve 11 V-Auto URGENT HELP Keesh23 10 263 04-06-2024, 08:23 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.