Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 Auto - 24 volts - Straight?
Resmed Airsense 10 Auto - 24 volts - Straight?
I have a new ResMed Airsense 10 Auto CPAP machine. I checked its specifications. It operates from 24 volt DC source. I seem to recall reading somewhere here on the forum that the Airsense 10 requires a signal from the power source in order to operate. Do I recall that correctly or can I just operate from a straight 24 volt DC source?

Thank you,
Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 Auto - 24 volts - Straight?
NO, you have to buy the $100 Resmed brick. With their proprietary plug. It became such with the advent of the S9.

Resmed is so very hostile towards their customers when they behave like this.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I know the A10 needs a pure sine wave. This will eliminate many UPS systems.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I will order the converter from Resmed. I had hoped to use an DC/DC converter which are quite efficient. I also thought to just purchase a 24 volt backup battery. I guess I will order a converter and then measure its output on an oscilloscope and go from there.

Thanks, Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2015, 04:54 PM)foss Wrote: I guess I will order the converter from Resmed. I had hoped to use an DC/DC converter which are quite efficient. I also thought to just purchase a 24 volt backup battery. I guess I will order a converter and then measure its output on an oscilloscope and go from there.

Thanks, Jeff

If you figure out a way around the handshake you will be a hero to some - and devil to resmed lol
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed has a dc/dc converter.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I ordered a ResMed converter from one of the online suppliers. It works very well and only consumes about 2 watts to do the conversion. It is more efficient than using an inverter and the regular converter that plugs into the wall outlet. For ~ $90 dollars it is a good investment. I was going to build a DC to DC converter for it but the ancillary pieces that I needed to buy including sourcing the proprietary barrel connector and generating the special signal made it prohibitive. It is easier and cleaner to just buy their converter.

My next step is the battery. I have been following the "Dry Camping" thread with interest. I am still trying to decide on whether to use a deep cycle AGM or gel cell. Most of my use will be for household backup so it doesn't matter a lot. I will probably go with the most amps per buck one way or the other.

Thank you,
Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2015, 08:29 PM)foss Wrote: I ordered a ResMed converter from one of the online suppliers... For ~ $90 dollars it is a good investment.

Just got mine yesterday. Now to get a battery and a solar panel to charge it. Ready for the next storm.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2015, 04:54 PM)foss Wrote: I guess I will order the converter from Resmed. I had hoped to use an DC/DC converter which are quite efficient. I also thought to just purchase a 24 volt backup battery. I guess I will order a converter and then measure its output on an oscilloscope and go from there.

Thanks, Jeff

Really the power converter isn't that big. You can get a power inverter and plug the power cord into the inverter and hook that to a 12 volt battery. I would be very cautious hooking this or any CPAP directly to a battery. Some electronics don't do well unless they have clean power. Personally I wouldn't risk it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 02:13 AM)Adoniscmj Wrote: Really the power converter isn't that big. You can get a power inverter and plug the power cord into the inverter and hook that to a 12 volt battery. I would be very cautious hooking this or any CPAP directly to a battery. Some electronics don't do well unless they have clean power. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

Inverters are just wrong for this application - unless you have an F&P unit - in which case you are just screwed from the get go for anything other than AC.

Do you realize that the DC power cords offered by more reasonable manufacturers (meaning major manufacturers other than Resmed) are nothing more than a direct plug to the battery? See Respironics DC power cord. See DeVillbiss DC power cord. Heck, even the HDM Z-1. Alligator clips to battery terminals, those feed to a female cigarette lighter plug (properly fused) and their male cigarette lighter plug (with no electronics of any sort) feeding a 2.1mm or 2.5mm or 7.4 mm (PR 60 series) DC barrel plug straight into the back of their unit. That is the factory configuration. As designed by the factory engineers for DC operation.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with hooking a healthy (charged) 12 V battery up to a 12 V blower. Or a 24 V battery up to a 24 V blower (or two 12s in series - which is, I guess technically one battery in two boxes). Get the hot to the hot pin and the ground to the ground and you're good.

Do not believe the propaganda that Resmed allows to propagate that only power from their bricks is worthy of powering a CPAP.

In this regard, Resmed is kind of hostile towards their customers. They intentionally make life difficult and more expensive. If you look back at the S8, which had direct DC plug receptacles on the back, they reverse wired it so you had to buy THEIR plug and not use any other manufacturer's off the shelf version, Of course, you could build your own if you made the center pin neg and the outer barrel the hot side. Electrically, the home brewed plug was JUST LIKE the Resmed plug. With the S9 and S10 models, they went to a big honking external brick and wired the machine so that it would require a "handshake" with the power supply in order to turn on. I get it a little bit in that you don't want to hit your 24V S9 of S10 with 12 V power and they effectively do that with their 12 to 24 V converter. Hooking up a 24 V source should be no problem.

But there is nothing "dirty" or "dangerous" about the power coming off a standard DC battery 12 or 24 V battery. Get the voltages right and the polarity right and it is good to go.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 353 53 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,717 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,595 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,763 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.