Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 Auto - 24 volts - Straight?
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 Auto - 24 volts - Straight?
A few days back, I found a monograph by ResMed that discussed various ways they might use that 3rd pin.
(I'll have to search through my history cache to find it again.)
One thing that was mention was to put a resistor from the 3rd pin to the negative in the power brick.
Purpose -- so that the machine can differentiate between a 90 Watt supply and a 60 Watt supply.
It could just be that simple.

The plug is a Kycon KPPX-3P. The Kycon series of plugs and jacks is available from mouser.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 08:34 AM)justMongo Wrote: A few days back, I found a monograph by ResMed that discussed various ways they might use that 3rd pin.
(I'll have to search through my history cache to find it again.)
One thing that was mention was to put a resistor from the 3rd pin to the negative in the power brick.
Purpose -- so that the machine can differentiate between a 90 Watt supply and a 60 Watt supply.
It could just be that simple.

The plug is a Kycon KPPX-3P. The Kycon series of plugs and jacks is available from mouser.

Please put that up or PM me if the link is a no no. Thanks
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 09:37 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Please put that up or PM me if the link is a no no. Thanks

Just Google "Kycon KPPX-3P mouser"... it's the first link that pops up.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I found the monograph. It's a patent application. It discusses a plethora of signalling used on power management for Respiratory treatment Apparatus.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...2255,d.b2w

That link seems to need a key.
It's the 6th result when I googled:
"3.9 resistor pin 3 60 watt power supply resmed"

This paragraph caught my eye:
"[0055] For example, if the pull-up resistor represents the
type of power supply, a detection of 3.9 K ohms may be
interpreted by a master controller that the power supply is an
infinite supply (mains). A detection of 2.7K ohms may be
interpreted as a 90 Watt power supply. A detection of 1.8K
ohms may be interpreted as a 60 Watt power supply. A detec
tion of 1.0K ohms may be interpreted as a 30 Watt power
supply. Other voltage levels and coding schemes may also be
utilized to code information about the power supply unit in
this analog manner. Optionally, digital messaging may also
be utilized to detect information about the power supply unit
or other components of the bus. In such a case, a data message
with information from circuits or memory of the power sup
ply unit or based on signals from the detectors or sensors of
the power supply unit may be sent from a processor of the
power supply unit to a system level controller or processor."
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I really don't think that the power brick as it has been called is that big. It is no bigger that the two that came with my laptop computers and if your looking for portability you still have to lug around a fairly large battery if want a decent amount of run time. Also some CPAP's may be just a fan in a box and would have no trouble running off of strait battery power, however most newer ones have processors in them and those can be vulnerable to voltage spikes or if the voltage gets to low in the battery can damage that cpu. The safe way is to hook it to a pure sign wave inverter. This way if the battery gets to low it won't damage anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 10:36 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 09:37 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Please put that up or PM me if the link is a no no. Thanks

Just Google "Kycon KPPX-3P mouser"... it's the first link that pops up.

Coffee

I think that Kycon connecter is for an S9. I don't have an S9, but that 3-pin plug won't fit an AirSense 10. The AS10 uses a weird barrel plug with an external cylinder contact, an internal cylinder contact, and a center pin contact. The inner cylinder is 24 volts positive and the outer cylinder is the negative connection. The center pin is probably the coding pin.

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 11:59 AM)pholynyk Wrote: I think that Kycon connecter is for an S9. I don't have an S9, but that 3-pin plug won't fit an AirSense 10. The AS10 uses a weird barrel plug with an external cylinder contact, an internal cylinder contact, and a center pin contact. The inner cylinder is 24 volts positive and the outer cylinder is the negative connection. The center pin is probably the coding pin.

Phil

You are correct. Anyone want to put a caliper or micrometer on the outer barrel and give me that dimension plus the barrel length.
I'll try to ID it.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 11:21 AM)Adoniscmj Wrote: I really don't think that the power brick as it has been called is that big. It is no bigger that the two that came with my laptop computers and if your looking for portability you still have to lug around a fairly large battery if want a decent amount of run time.

ANY silly power brick is HUGE if you are comparing not needing to have one at all.

(06-26-2015, 11:21 AM)Adoniscmj Wrote: Also some CPAP's may be just a fan in a box and would have no trouble running off of strait battery power, however most newer ones have processors in them and those can be vulnerable to voltage spikes or if the voltage gets to low in the battery can damage that cpu. The safe way is to hook it to a pure sign wave inverter. This way if the battery gets to low it won't damage anything.

What is the source of this assertion? Is it just intuition or if not, who is the source and their credibility? I ask because this is counter to most input from some pretty darned sharp people. Including the design engineers at major manufacturers.

Modern, state of the art machines have no problem whatsoever running directly off of a battery (except for the design deficient products from Resmed)...

WORST way of running a CPAP off battery is with an inverter.

OMMOHY

Post Reply Post Reply
Very likely the motor runs off a 3 phase inverter drive like a TI DRV8302 (not to be confused with the inverter under discussion). The nominal VDC input likely is clamped below that as the driver board doesn't really care what you feed it. . I don't care enough to dissemble my cpap to find out. The vast majority of consumer grade inverters are gonna be square or modified square wave output with all kinds of dirt so absolutely not a good idea.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 01:13 PM)justMongo Wrote: You are correct. Anyone want to put a caliper or micrometer on the outer barrel and give me that dimension plus the barrel length.
I'll try to ID it.

I shud a knowed somebody would ask...

Outer diameter: 7.50 mm -- 0.29"
Inner diameter: 5.20 mm -- 0.20"
Length: 13.0 mm -- 0.50"

The pin appears to be recessed about 3 or 4 mm, pretty difficult to measure.

I leave the catalog search as an exercise for the interested student... Mongo?

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 20 366 2 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,720 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,600 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,766 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,176 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.