Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Throat feels like it's closing after starting CPAP
RE: Throat feels like it's closing after starting CPAP
The AirSense 10 is an awesome machine. One that my wife and I have both used. I’m a medical provider in a Western state, and a medical maintenance professional as well, so my comments come from years of experience as a user, prescriber, and tech. First, I strongly suggest that you switch to distilled water only for several reasons. You can find a gallon at your local big grocer on sale for typically 86 cents or so and it will last you a very long time. 

Here’s why you want distilled only: City tap water usually contains chlorine or chloramines that you will breathe deep into your lungs as the water evaporates. Chlorine is highly irritating to the respiratory tract, even in low concentrations. This might even be causing part of your sensation. If you look at your water supplier’s annual water quality report, you will also see other nasty contamination like arsenic and lead in low concentrations and possibly even radioactive Radon. Over time, these compounds will build up on the inside of your machine where you can’t clean, along with mineral deposits. This is not good for you or your machine. 

You should clean your mask daily before use simply by wiping the silicone portion that sits on your face inside and out with a lint free cloth lightly moistened with 70-90% Isopropyl alcohol. Turn Your machine on and let it blow dry before use. Your humidifier tray only needs to be about 1/4 full since you should be cleaning the tray and tubing at least every 2-3 days. This is where many users get into trouble. I recommend cleaning the ResMed proprietary opaque swivel tubing with a soft “bottle brush” and a mild dishwashing soap with warm water. Rinse inside thoroughly until there is no lingering soap smell. Finally, add a small amount of distilled water to the inside of the swivel tubing, cover both ends with your thumbs and swish the water back and fourth a few times to rinse out the tap water. Finally, dump out the distilled water, use a clean paper towel to dry off the outside of the tubing. Then holding one end of the tubing, “spin dry” for 5-10 seconds & repeat with the other end.

It is recommended that you change the filter, located on the left side of the unit, at least every 30 days. I recommend using the fine pollen in filter to help help the inside of your lungs and machine cleaner. Let me know if you need part numbers. You should check to make sure your home is not located in a Radon emitting area. Your local health department should be able to tell you if radon has been detected in your area. You my need to get your home tested if there has. You will need to add a special charcoal filter to catch the radioactive “Alpha” particles before they enter your machine otherwise they may end up in your respiratory tract where the radon may radiate your mucous membranes and increase the risk for certain cancers. I had that very problem in one of the homes I lived in. 

Finally, I recommend terminal cleaning with either UV-C light or ozone gas twice weekly or more often. I use a UV-C light wand from Verilux and a CPAP ozone sterilizer from SoClean. Caution: Do NOT expose your eyes or skin directly to UV-C light. Do NOT breathe Ozone directly into your lungs. Follow the manufacturers instructions for both devices. Be aware that ozone remains in the tubing after it has been sterilized so I recommend that you flush the tubing by simply running the CPAP machine for 3 minutes or so before applying it to your face.

That’s it for now. Please ask any follow up questions and follow the recommendations for your pressure setting from your sleep study unless your AHI is above 5.0 or so.

Best Wishes

M.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 671 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 423 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Suddenly air feels too dry.. outasleep 2 287 01-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 630 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.