Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset heater issue?
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset heater issue?
So I recently just received this CPAP second hand and to me it seems like the heater part of the unit is not functioning properly. I've tried using the warm up selection with the heat set to its maximum and I left it on for about 15 minutes and the water chamber still feels very cool to touch. I took the water chamber off and touched the plate which was barely warm and let it try to warm up some more with the water chamber off. I got a temperature 80F at the heater plate using a IR thermometer. Is this normal? I've requested a return just incase and ordered a brand new one since it'll come with a 2 year warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset heater issue?
Are you trying to potentially diagnose a problem with the Humidifier or the Heated Hose?
IR Thermometers are not reliable on some metals.

If the Humidifier:
What setting is it at?
How much water has been used overnight?

What's the actual problem you're experiencing.
Post Reply Post Reply
To the best of my understanding, the humidifier water would likely still feel cool to touch. I do not think it approaches a temperature over our body temp. of 98.6 F. The heating function is to add heat to the water above whatever your ambient room temperature would be. By doing so, it quickens the evaporation process of the water contained within the tub. We can strike out using the humidifier to make a cup O soup or reheating the mug of coffee.

I did try to find info on the internet to see exactly what temperature a humidifier can attain, but a quick search didn't yield anything useful.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From the A10 user's guide:

Quote:Temperature
Maximum heater plate: 154°F (68°C)
Cut-out: 165°F (74°C)
Maximum gas temperature: ≤ 106°F (≤ 41°C)

Of course, the water won't get anywhere near that temperature, but the plate itself does ... when the heater is functioning properly and at its highest setting.  It sounds like it's a worn-out item and returning it is the right thing to do.

How many run hours does the second-hand machine have on it?
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidifier vessel is removable, so it must have metal contacts that mate with contacts inside its receptacle on the machine.  I wonder if they're not covered with salts, deposits of another kind, or simply oxidized over time.  I would take a pencil eraser, or if you have it, contact cleaner, and attempt to clean the contacts, both inside the machine and on the reservoir.  If that fails to rectify the problem, then you may indeed have a defective heater element, or maybe the circuit is defective inside the machine.  

One other possibility, unless you have been scrupulous about following the correct procedures for turning on the heating system, is that you simply have not been following the correct procedures, meaning there might be nothing wrong with the heating system.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2019, 01:51 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: From the A10 user's guide:

Of course, the water won't get anywhere near that temperature, but the plate itself does ... when the heater is functioning properly and at its highest setting.  It sounds like it's a worn-out item and returning it is the right thing to do.

Thanks for the temp details, Fats Drywaller. Now I know.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2019, 02:34 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 01:51 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: From the A10 user's guide:

Thanks for the temp details, Fats Drywaller. Now I know.

Coffee

Thanks for yall's help. I am returning the product. It only had 23 hours on it but I saw some brown spots on the water chamber so maybe it ran without water and somehow burned out the heater somehow? Maybe that's why they were getting rid of it for with such low hours and for only $500. But yeah about 80F was the maximum it would get to. Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up ordering a brand new one for about $700 and it'll have that 2-year warranty which will much more safe.
Post Reply Post Reply
My heater plate only got to 90.5 F. at the setting of 8.
Post Reply Post Reply
The re-visit to this discussion reminds me I didn't include the setting aspect. Are you running your humidifier in Auto or Manual Mode? I think that Manual and setting 8 would yield the highest heat achievable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Manual
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 22 439 50 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 30 4 hours ago
Last Post: cps22
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,807 4 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 114 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.