Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP data versus Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset data
Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP data versus Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset data
Hi. New user here. I have been scouring the board trying to find information about whether or not the Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP model (base model) actually records full data (as claimed by the sales guy providing the machine) or only limited data as reported early on before the machines actual release. (Speculation before its release.)

I have read the posted article on which machines to buy and which to avoid (Wiki article) and the Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP model is a "pass" based on it being more or less a "brick." However, this article seems to have been based on the assumption that the machine does not record full data without any details of what is not recorded. My sales guy says that it is not a "brick" and records the same data as the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset model which I am currently borrowing as a trial model.

So, what is the real story? Is the base Autosense CPAP model recording less detailed data or not? What, specifically, is not being recorded or is not accessible with sleepyhead software?

And one other question: would the CPAP version not maintain a stable pressure, (in my case 11.5 after three days of trial) avoiding leak related problems? For example, my loaner Autoset ramped up the air pressure when a leak occurred to 15. When I awoke and adjusted the seal, the pressure remained at 15, making it hard to exhale. Should it not have returned to a lower pressure, closer to 11.5? I had to disconnect the hose to stop the machine and reset the pressure to the initial ramp pressure of 7.

In summary: what is the real deal concerning the CPAP machine and full data, and is the CPAP machine not more advantageous in maintaining a useful level of therapy versus fluctuating unnecessarily due to leakage? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP data versus Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset data
According to Supplier #1's web site, the most basic CPAP in the Resmed "10" line is the Resmed AirStart 10 and it is a brick in the classic sense: It records nothing but usage data.

Again, according to Supplier #1's web site, the specs on the Resmed AirSense 10 CPAP (one step up from base AirStart 10) does NOT record advanced efficacy data. It does record summary efficacy data. In other words, you get an AHI for the night, but it's not broken down. You get summary leak data, including Mr Green Smiley Face and Mr Red Frowny Face, I believe. But you don't get a break down of what types of events you are having or when they're occurring. There is no wave flow data and increasingly access to wave flow data is what is regarded as "full efficacy data" around here. In other words, the AirSense 10 CPAP records the same amount of data that the old Resmed S9 Auto Escape recorded. It's best to think of the Resmed AirSense CPAP as a slightly better than a full brick, but much worse than a full efficacy data machine.

Finally for what it's worth, I have seen data screenshots on another forum from the AirSense 10 and they do indeed look just like the screenshots from the Resmed S9 Auto Escape: Summary of AHI and basic summary leak data is there, but there's no way to drill down to get at anything interesting in the detailed data because the detailed data is just not there.

(See http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List) for the list of Suppliers)
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2016, 11:55 AM)David P. Wrote: And one other question: would the CPAP version not maintain a stable pressure, (in my case 11.5 after three days of trial) avoiding leak related problems?
There are several questions here.

1) The Resmed AirSense 10 CPAP and the Resemd AirSense 10 Elite CPAP are fixed pressure machines. That means that except for during the ramp period, they maintain one pressure setting all night long.

2) When *any* Resmed PAP machine detects a leak, it will pump more air into the semi-closed "system" comprising your airway, your nose, your mask, the hose, and the machine in order to maintain the desired pressure. It's worth noting that when the machine is pumping additional air into the system to maintain the pressure in the presence of a leak, it can subjectively feel like the machine is trying to increase the pressure. But it's not ramping up the pressure in the presence of the leak.

Quote:For example, my loaner Autoset ramped up the air pressure when a leak occurred to 15. When I awoke and adjusted the seal, the pressure remained at 15, making it hard to exhale. Should it not have returned to a lower pressure, closer to 11.5?
If you did NOT turn the S9 AutoSet OFF after you awoke and adjusted the seal, the machine would keep the pressure at the current level. The S9 AutoSet has no way to tell that you woke up and that you want the pressure to return to your min pressure setting.

If you want the pressure to go back down after you wake up, you will need to turn the S9 AutoSet OFF and then back ON. That will start the pressure at the minimum pressure setting (if you don't use the ramp) or at the beginning ramp setting (if you do use the ramp) But that's the only way that you can reduce the pressure in the middle of the night.

Quote:I had to disconnect the hose to stop the machine and reset the pressure to the initial ramp pressure of 7
It sounds like you have SmartStart set to ON. With SmarStart set to ON, the machine starts when it detects breathing and it turns itself off when it detects no breathing for a set period of time.

You might want to read your owners manual. I believe that if you press the on/off button when the machine is ON, it will turn itself off even if you still have the mask on. And as soon as it detects your breathing, it should turn itself back on at your beginning ramp pressure of 7cm.

It's a shame that the S9s and the A10s don't have a way of hitting a "ramp" button without turning the machine off. It's also a shame that the only way you can turn the ramp off is through the clinical settings. In the PR machines, there's a separate Ramp button that you must press after the machine has been turned on in order to start the ramp period. And you can hit that ramp button anytime the machine is on and it will reduce the pressure back down without turning the machine off and back on.

Quote:In summary: what is the real deal concerning the CPAP machine and full data, and is the CPAP machine not more advantageous in maintaining a useful level of therapy versus fluctuating unnecessarily due to leakage? Thanks.
Some people do prefer straight CPAP both because it can be easier to manage the leaks and you don't have the issue of pressure increases waking you up.

The thing is you can always SET an APAP like your AutoSet to run in CPAP mode. But you cannot set a CPAP to run in Auto mode.

If you want to experiment with straight CPAP, all you need to do is change the settings on your current machine from AutoSet to CPAP mode. Or just as effectively you can set min Pressure = max Pressure in AutoSet mode and the machine will not vary the pressure.

If you do decide to experiment with straight CPAP, the usual starting point is to set the pressure at your 90/95% Pressure level in the AutoSet data.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Robysue, thanks for the excellent post! You have cleared up my confusion. Apparently my provider is wrong about the two machines recording the same data...either he is genuinely mistaken, or he was deflecting my question in anticipation of being directed to push the CPAP or lower model. Being from Ontario in Canada means a limit on what the Government medical insurance will cover and I am sure the providers also prefer to maximize their profit. I had found a number of posts about the CPAP model, but no clear information that confirmed that it did not record full data. Your post clears that up, as Supplier #1's chart indicated.

My Airsense 10 Autoset loaner, by the way, does allow the ramp feature to be turned off without going into the clinical menu. My starting pressure is set to 7, (started at 5 in the ramp feature, but it was too low.) The machine now indicates my overall pressure to be 11.5 (admittedly only after three nights), which may not be accurate given that the machine increased the airflow dramatically when there were leaks that ultimately saw me having to disconnect the mask to restart. Hopefully a complete sleep study in January will determine more precise settings. Being a loaner, the manual was not provided, so this board is proving to be a great resource.

Again, thanks for the info.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi David P,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 6 464 14 minutes ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question OSCAR Technology - Install & Data Aquisition Details EasySleep 2 54 1 hour ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 3 814 9 hours ago
Last Post: gzaw
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 31 10 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 51 10 hours ago
Last Post: FriedRice
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 0 49 Today, 08:49 AM
Last Post: givememyusername
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 486 Today, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.