Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10
CPAP Software: EncorePro

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Resmed Airsense 10 Settings
So i have been using this new machine now for about a month. The pressures I see are a lot higher than with my old machine respironics M auto-Cpap (~6-9 vs 11-13) I also had lots of problems waking up with very dry mouth and stats showed large air leaks. So I bought a chin strap but I was still waking up in middle of the night due to severe dry mouth and still large leaks .... using new Air Fit for her which fits fine and feels good.

So i started doing research and the suggestion was to try a hybrid mask. But then I decided to see what would happen if i dropped the pressure. So I changed the max cap on my machine to 9 then 8 instead of 20. I strapped on my oximeter to make sure that I was not desaturating because of the change. And lo and behold, now i was not having all the dry mouth problems, and my leak factor went down. My AI was 0 and my 02 SAT's remained constant. So I'm not sure how the auto of this machine works but it did NOT work for me. i do like the good humidification i get with the machine though but i'm not gonna go with the fully auto anymore.

PS ... I'm so glad this site gave me the info so that I could get access to the clinician's menu to get access to the controls. I think being in control over my therapy is a lot better than having to depend on scheduled apts and trips to a md all the time.
12-03-2014 05:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: Resmed Airsense 10
(12-03-2014 05:43 PM)Lali808 Wrote:  So i have been using this new machine now for about a month. The pressures I see are a lot higher than with my old machine respironics M auto-Cpap (~6-9 vs 11-13) I also had lots of problems waking up with very dry mouth and stats showed large air leaks. So I bought a chin strap but I was still waking up in middle of the night due to severe dry mouth and still large leaks .... using new Air Fit for her which fits fine and feels good.

So i started doing research and the suggestion was to try a hybrid mask. But then I decided to see what would happen if i dropped the pressure. So I changed the max cap on my machine to 9 then 8 instead of 20. I strapped on my oximeter to make sure that I was not desaturating because of the change. And lo and behold, now i was not having all the dry mouth problems, and my leak factor went down. My AI was 0 and my 02 SAT's remained constant. So I'm not sure how the auto of this machine works but it did NOT work for me. i do like the good humidification i get with the machine though but i'm not gonna go with the fully auto anymore.

PS ... I'm so glad this site gave me the info so that I could get access to the clinician's menu to get access to the controls. I think being in control over my therapy is a lot better than having to depend on scheduled apts and trips to a md all the time.
Hi Lali808,
It's great to hear that you have taken your therapy into your own hands.
Keep up the good work and hang in there for more responses to your post.

trish6hundred
12-03-2014 06:10 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Wide-open auto isn't good anyway.

Keep an eye on your data and make sure that the pressure you have now is good for you. You want the max number to be a point or two higher than your 95% pressure and the minimum to be about where the median pressure is.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-03-2014 07:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Sex: Male

(12-03-2014 05:43 PM)Lali808 Wrote:  But then I decided to see what would happen if i dropped the pressure. So I changed the max cap on my machine to 9 then 8 instead of 20. I strapped on my oximeter to make sure that I was not desaturating because of the change. And lo and behold, now i was not having all the dry mouth problems, and my leak factor went down. My AI was 0 and my 02 SAT's remained constant. So I'm not sure how the auto of this machine works but it did NOT work for me. i do like the good humidification i get with the machine though but i'm not gonna go with the fully auto anymore.

Hi Lali808,

I take it you are using the standard AutoSet therapy mode rather than the new AutoSet For Her therapy mode?

The A10 AutoSet For Her model is more versatile than the standard A10 AutoSet model.

The A10 AutoSet For Her has three therapy modes to choose from: fixed pressure CAP therapy mode, standard AutoSet therapy mode, and the more gentle AutoSet For Her therapy mode. Three machines in one.

I wish the standard A10 AutoSet model would also allow selection of the more gentle AutoSet For Her therapy mode, but it doesn't. (Major mess-up on ResMed's part, in my view.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 03:20 AM by vsheline.)
12-05-2014 03:15 AM
jctampa Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AutoSense 10 FH in AS mode
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: Same as system
CPAP Pressure: 4-11 Auto
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diabetic Type II, Insulin dependent. Formerly PR60 Auto.

I picked up some filters for my A10FH and realize they are disposable and also a "multi" filter with coarse filter on one side and a finer mesh for smaller particulates on the other. My question is: Should the more coarse side face out or in?. I'm guessing the coarse side should face "out", but I would prefer to be sure.

Can anyone answer this for me?

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”
"Duke" Wayne
12-05-2014 11:57 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

The coarse side should face out based on my general knowledge of filters.
12-05-2014 12:13 PM
jctampa Offline

Preferred Members

(12-05-2014 12:13 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  The coarse side should face out based on my general knowledge of filters.

Thanks PaytonA,

I watched the vendor show me the air filter when I got the device (duh) but didn't see its position when he took it out of the machine.

"JC"

"Duke" Wayne
12-05-2014 12:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Unlike PRS1 uses coarse filter and fine filter, S9 and A10 uses only one filter at a time
You can use either standard filter or hypoallergenic (not the two together) and both sides of the filter are identical
12-05-2014 03:13 PM
jctampa Offline

Preferred Members

(12-05-2014 03:13 PM)zonk Wrote:  Unlike PRS1 uses coarse filter and fine filter, S9 and A10 uses only one filter at a time
You can use either standard filter or hypoallergenic (not the two together) and both sides of the filter are identical

Hi Zonk,

I would not argue this point were it not for the fact that the filter that came with the machine AND the generic replacements from the DME have a coarse side and a smooth side. I can feel the difference with my fingers and see it with my eyes. The box for the machine was open and had been setup for me but I don't think they changed the filter out.

They are the disposable type filters. The generics are identical to the factory filter that came in the machine. The generic is AG inds. AG36851.

"JC"

"Duke" Wayne
12-05-2014 03:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(12-05-2014 03:34 PM)jctampa Wrote:  I would not argue this point were it not for the fact that the filter that came with the machine AND the generic replacements from the DME have a coarse side and a smooth side. I can feel the difference with my fingers and see it with my eyes. The box for the machine was open and had been setup for me but I don't think they changed the filter out.

They are the disposable type filters. The generics are identical to the factory filter that came in the machine. The generic is AG inds. AG36851.

I believe the S9 and S10 use the same ResMed disposable filters.

The generic replacements are usually constructed slightly differently but are supposed to provide equivalent performance.

My ResMed Hypoallergenic filters are in sealed bag marked as manufactured by ResMed in the United Kingdom, and to me look the same on both sides.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
12-06-2014 01:58 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dream Station Ramp and Pressure Settings knowoneuno 15 234 Today 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question ResMed AirSense 10 Badjo17 25 2,188 Today 11:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is this sound normal? - Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Ronberta 8 1,172 11-29-2016 07:59 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Quit Working SherrieR 4 206 11-26-2016 07:51 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Dream Station Settings Autumnseer 15 458 11-26-2016 07:01 AM
Last Post: Weird Tolkienish Figure
Angry Resmed Airsense/Telstra 2G wireless kerput JamesW 2 176 11-24-2016 11:08 PM
Last Post: JamesW
  ResMed Airsense 10 Auto Set...Runaway Pressure Abnormal86 14 504 11-22-2016 11:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom