Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 Using Full Water Tank Every Night
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 Using Full Water Tank Every Night
How hot does your tank get? Is the humidity level in your house real low like in the 30's?
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure how hot the humidifier tank gets. I'll check it tomorrow morning.

In the summer the humidity level ranges from 35-50%. I probably don't need the humidifier right now, but I want to make sure it is working properly. In the winter an indoor humidity level of 30% is normal. That's with the furnace humidifier working...
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, if you would please post what they tell you I would really appreciate it. My problems started after a few weeks of using full tank, or 12 oz of water going through my lungs every night, and a few times I even woke up and added water. I got my machine with everything set at auto, it's supposed to adjust automatically. ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll post tomorrow after my appointment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nsquared1,

I have the same machine. With a humidity set at 3 I use 1/4-1/3 of the water in the reservoir in 7-8 hours.

I suspect leaks anywhere in the system downstream of the humidifier could cause increased evaporation due to greater airflow to maintain pressure. Have you checked around the seal on the reservoir, the hose connections, and the hose itself for leakage?  The easiest way to do this is to turn on the machine and, with the mask not connected, block the end of the hose with your thumb, and listen for significant hissing noise.  

There have been times when I have notice more noise than usual when starting my machine with the mask on. I have done as described above and found a significant leak around the reservoir seal. Opening the reservoir and reseating the seal has always corrected the leak. With leaks eliminated my machine is very quite.  I would also check the fitting of the elbow to which the hose connects at the back of the machine. If it is not completely seated there could be leakage. Ditto for the hose connection.  Check the entire length of the hose for leakage. It should be easy to detect with the hose pressurized.  Lastly, with the mask on, check the connection of the hose  to the mask.

Also, with the reservoir removed from the machine, check that the soft seals are in place where the reservoir connects to the machine (They are on the machine, not the reservoir). A missing or damaged seal at the reservoir outlet connection could result in greater water usage.

None of this has ruled out mask leakage. We will need to see SleepyHead data to evaluate that. I wouldn’t put much faith in the MyAir data.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Nsquared1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Good luck to you with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2017, 01:59 PM)Melman Wrote: Nsquared1,

I have the same machine. With a humidity set at 3 I use 1/4-1/3 of the water in the reservoir in 7-8 hours.

I suspect leaks anywhere in the system downstream of the humidifier could cause increased evaporation due to greater airflow to maintain pressure. Have you checked around the seal on the reservoir, the hose connections, and the hose itself for leakage?  The easiest way to do this is to turn on the machine and, with the mask not connected, block the end of the hose with your thumb, and listen for significant hissing noise.  

There have been times when I have notice more noise than usual when starting my machine with the mask on. I have done as described above and found a significant leak around the reservoir seal. Opening the reservoir and reseating the seal has always corrected the leak. With leaks eliminated my machine is very quite.  I would also check the fitting of the elbow to which the hose connects at the back of the machine. If it is not completely seated there could be leakage. Ditto for the hose connection.  Check the entire length of the hose for leakage. It should be easy to detect with the hose pressurized.  Lastly, with the mask on, check the connection of the hose  to the mask.

Also, with the reservoir removed from the machine, check that the soft seals are in place where the reservoir connects to the machine (They are on the machine, not the reservoir). A missing or damaged seal at the reservoir outlet connection could result in greater water usage.

None of this has ruled out mask leakage. We will need to see SleepyHead data to evaluate that. I wouldn’t put much faith in the MyAir data.

Melman,

Thanks for the information about checking for leaks. I performed the various steps and did not find any leaks in my system. I also checked the temperature of the reservoir by hand in the morning. It was not hot. Now that I have examined the seals, I will make sure the unit is properly inserted and seated.

Nsquared1,

I brought up the need to add water daily to the humidity reservoir with my sleep medicine Nurse Practitioner. He does not think there is a problem, nor has he heard of any problems. I've been running the air temp. at 70°, humidity level at 5, for ~7.5 hours each night. He says he is not surprised that I need to add water each day. Our outside humidity has been running in the high-teens and 20s (%). It has been dry and hot.

It sounds like your humidity is set on auto. Perhaps if you changed the setting to manual and adjusted it and the air temperature you could find a setting that doesn't drain the reservoir so quickly. I've decided to put less water in every night and let the reservoir air dry each day.

The Nurse Practitioner is reducing the maximum amount of pressure. He said that may prove to be more comfortable and reduce mask leaks. Leaks can cause the reservoir to use more water than needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your responses and helpful suggestions.  Thanks

A few weeks ago I changed the humidifier from auto to 2, and it still used whatever water I put in the tank. The machine was tested for leaks by respiratory therapist and there were no air leaks, and the water is not leaking. I do have an issue with mask air leaks because I'm a side sleeper, but it's been getting better with a different mask.

After reading some responses to my posts, I have shut the humidifier off completely for now, not put any water in tank, and left the line temperature at 68 degrees. It's not too bad for now, but I live in Michigan, so when I switch from air conditioning to heating, I think it will be too dry.

I'm not too sure what the indoor humidity level is with air conditioning on, but I have A/C set at 74 degrees, and the outdoor temperature today is 71, with 63% humidity. I think the indoor humidity is probably around 52%.

Still waiting for response from the medical supply company but doesn't look too promising about getting assistance from them when I called back today.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nsquared1, I have conditions similar to yours. I go through up to 3/4 of a tank of water when running on auto when the air conditioning is running. I go through about 1/3 of tank when set to 2. This is with an average leak of 17 ml. with no major leaks.

I think you have a bad board if the same is occurring when you have it set to 2. I would insist that they take the machine back and give you one that works properly. They are 'blaming the patient' when the machine is faulty.
Post Reply Post Reply
^ yeah, that. Your machine is malfunctioning, no doubt in my mind. There isn't a temperature/humidity combo inside a house that could plausibly lead to that humidifier, especially on 2, consuming a whole tank of water. Mine on auto (4) consumes no more than 1/2 a tank (full line to nearly the min line, which has ample water still in the tank) on a really good night's sleep (7-8 hours).

Take it back, tell them to swap it out and/or fix it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,710 10 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,580 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 84 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,802 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.