Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 announced today. US availability 8/18/14
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 announced today. US availability 8/18/14
(08-12-2014, 04:52 AM)Crist Wrote: I'm pretty new to cpap and was about to order an S9 AutoSet but now I'm wondering if I should wait another couple of weeks and get the Airsense. I have an AutoSet now that's coming to the end if the introductory rental period but I can extend on a week to week basis if I choose to.

Any recommendations? Do I wait and get the Airsense 10 and be a guinea pig or stick with the known entity of the AutoSet?
When the S9 Autoset came out in 2010, its was something like "man first step walking on the moon" with central apnea detection and enhanced algorthim. I would need more information and most importantly the clinical manual to consider the "AirSense 10 AutoSet". The S9 had problems with the "ClimateLine" overheating in the first versions (I had mine replaced under warranty) and ResMed made improvement in later versions. Who knows, Fisher & Paykel (F&P) might sue ResMed for stealing the name "Sense" as in "SensAwake". In Airsense, ResMed took the funkiness of F&P Icon and integrated humidifier and some of the data reporting of Phillips Respironcis. I like the look of the "AirSense" especially the humidifier, much improvement from the S9 silly door latches and hard to see the water mark level on the water tank

As for "stick with the S9", for now, I say stick with the S9 and make sure its the "AutoSet" model but the price always going be much higher in Australia Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2014, 11:32 PM)Blowerhead Wrote: I was just diagnosed a month ago and have done a lot of reading here lately. Found this a few minutes ago:
Are you using any machine right now or waiting for the AirSense release date, have you decided on the model yet?

10 AutoSet
10 AutoSet for Her
10 Elite
10 CPAP

Post Reply Post Reply
After some study, I sort of look at it this way.

The S8 series was like the 1980 Ford cars. The S9 is like the 2010 model Fords. The A10 series is like the 2015 models.

You might want the 2015 model for reasons of style and because it's the new thing. Under the hood, there probably are some technological improvements, but they're not really that great or that noticeable to the driver.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe I'll be able to get a bargain on an S9 in a few months when the online suppliers clear their inventory.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pulse oximetry monitoring sounds like a great feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2014, 09:46 PM)zonk Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 11:32 PM)Blowerhead Wrote: I was just diagnosed a month ago and have done a lot of reading here lately. Found this a few minutes ago:
Are you using any machine right now or waiting for the AirSense release date, have you decided on the model yet?

10 AutoSet
10 AutoSet for Her
10 Elite
10 CPAP

I'm supposed to get my machine next Tuesday and have never had one before. I had settled on the Respironics DS560TS and had the doctor write that on the order. Unfortunately she wrote that it was MY request. I'm sure the DME and the insurance company don't give a hoot about what I think. After talking to the DME, it sounds like they are going to only give me a straight cpap (not the auto that the 560 is) since the doc only prescribed a single pressure. I'm not sure about the S10, but I'd be willing to be an early adopter. I always like playing around with the cutting edge stuff.
Has anyone dealt with Johns Hopkins Pharmaquip? Are they cooperative about supplying the latest and greatest equipment? I know what I want, but I don't want to start off this cpap journey having to fight to get it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2014, 05:30 PM)Ghandi Wrote: Pulse oximetry monitoring sounds like a great feature.

The S9 has that. It requires a very expensive optional oxygen sensor.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
At least they finally did something about the bright screen on the S9- no control for that is a nuisance, at least for me.
Hope we can get a review for this by the end of the year for personal insurance reasons.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd heard there was a new machine on the way (from my friendly neighbourhood clinician), but went ahead and got myself an S9 AutoScore anyhow just this week. I'm not sorry I did, either, as it's made a huge difference to my sleep and my overall health. I'll still keep an eye on these, as they do look intriguing, especially with those humidifiers which appear to attach to the outside of the unit.

When you consider the fact that CPAP machines only came into use in the early 1980's, the technology has come pretty far pretty quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2014, 06:39 PM)Blowerhead Wrote: I'm supposed to get my machine next Tuesday and have never had one before. I had settled on the Respironics DS560TS and had the doctor write that on the order. Unfortunately she wrote that it was MY request. I'm sure the DME and the insurance company don't give a hoot about what I think. After talking to the DME, it sounds like they are going to only give me a straight cpap (not the auto that the 560 is) since the doc only prescribed a single pressure. I'm not sure about the S10, but I'd be willing to be an early adopter. I always like playing around with the cutting edge stuff.
Has anyone dealt with Johns Hopkins Pharmaquip? Are they cooperative about supplying the latest and greatest equipment? I know what I want, but I don't want to start off this cpap journey having to fight to get it.

Hi Blowerhead,

Sounds like if you don't fight for what you want then you won't get it and may even be sold something quite inadequate. Remember, you are the customer and without you the DME will get paid exactly nothing.

And hopefully you have choices on which DME to use, and can call each one on your insurance company's list of providers and let them know you are searching for a DME which will dispense to you the DS560TS if they want your present and future business. The DME will be making lots of money on masks and supplies every few months if you are their customer.

Understand that if you accept any machine there is the risk that you may get stuck with it for the next 5 yrs or so, regardless of what you may be told verbally.

It is not unlikely that you will be told you can't be sold the DS560TS without a prescription specifying the minimum and maximum pressure. Strictly speaking, this would not be true, but could be a policy of the DME to dispense the minimum required machine in order to maximize their profits.

So, to make everything easier, I suggest you assertively ask your doctor to rewrite the prescription, specifying a range for pressure, even if the range is small, such as 1 cm H2O, centered at the pressure presently prescribed. And for the doctor to specify on the prescription "DS560TS and mask of patient's choice".

If the doctor refuses and you are not limited to using that one doctor, I suggest making an appointment with a different doctor or medical group. Sometimes doctors will not change their thinking until they lose a patient or two because of it.

Good luck and take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 491 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,842 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,633 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,831 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 230 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,200 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.