Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 announced today. US availability 8/18/14
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 announced today. US availability 8/18/14
Just wanted to follow up and clarify some things..

- The sleep report menu on the machine does tell you more in depth information when you're in the clinical menu... things like AHI, pressures, flow, etc.

- I was also able to import the detailed data into the ResScan software, so it shows the detailed data as well as the summarized stuff above.

I have ordered an S9 AutoSet with humidifier and heated tube. Just waiting for it to be delivered. I have to give this AirSense one back in a week and a half..
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks .... big.

If so, that is the wrong direction.

Also having a hard time figuring out what it does as opposed to the S9 Auto.

Then again, I didn't think I needed more than the S8.... The biggest functional improvement for me moving from S8 to S9 was the quietness the S9 brought. Auto feature was OK, but I could do fine with a fixed pressure CPAP, I'm pretty sure. The data features? Mixed in my book. 99% of the time, they're OK to toy with. Did without for several S8 years and wasn't crippled by their lack.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure what to do.

I can get an S9 Autoset tomorrow or I can wait a few weeks and get an A10 Autoset. I'm a first - timer so I'm thinking just wait a little while longer and get the new machine.

What do you guys think?
Post Reply Post Reply
If it were me, I'd go with the S9 now and get started with the therapy. Then I'd spend the next 5 years wondering if I should have waited for the A10..........

But actually, what reports I've seen so far do not indicate the A10 is any more capable than the S9. Maybe the A10 for those of the female persuasion is, as it has a couple of extra features, but the regular just seems like a run of the mill "new and improved" version. Probably mostly for marketing value.

A nice option for you might be to see if a DME in your area could fix you up with a loaner machine until the A10's show up. Even rent one for a few weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2014, 09:28 PM)Blowerhead Wrote: I can get an S9 Autoset tomorrow or I can wait a few weeks and get an A10 Autoset. I'm a first - timer so I'm thinking just wait a little while longer and get the new machine.

If I were just starting out I would be inclined to wait a few weeks for the A10 AutoSet For Her model, even though I'm a guy.

The For Her model has all the same features and options and therapy modes as the regular A10 AutoSet, plus it reports RERA events (the regular A10 AutoSet does not), plus it has a big additional treatment option in the form of the new For Her mode, which would increase its resale value if nothing else.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone,

I've been using a F&K Premo for the past two years but I'm currently looking to acquire an auto CPAP machine. I'm leaning toward the new ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset. I'm hoping to get some better data from the machine to help me understand how to lower my AHI. Without CPAP I was at AHI=110 and NEVER entered REM sleep during my sleep study. The docs put me on a ResMed Quatro FX full face mask and set their machine at 13cm H2O. My AHI dropped to 2 and I was in REM from about 90 minutes. This was pretty good.

However, now 2 years later my Sleepyhead data usually shows AHI >5 or 6 but my obstructive apnea is always very low. Seems my hypopnea is always high and I think the flow limitation is high. I'm wondering a couple of things.

First, can the auto machine help lower the AHI?
Second, will the Resmed 10 auto provide more/better data to review?
Third, is the AirSense (basically a CPAP machine, not a Bi Pap machine) likely to help or should I consider the AirCurve machine (which likely will require more study/work with my sleep doctor, More expense)

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2014, 01:54 PM)Blackbag52 Wrote: First, can the auto machine help lower the AHI?
Third, is the AirSense (basically a CPAP machine, not a Bi Pap machine) likely to help or should I consider the AirCurve machine (which likely will require more study/work with my sleep doctor, More expense)
1- I would say yes, with the right settings and providing pressure changes does not bother you
The AutoSet calculate the pressure based on the severity of the events and adjust pressure to your needs throughout the night

2 _ More data than the S9 but necessary better
3- yes

I recommend A10 AutoSet 4Her, does whatever A10 AutoSet does and more, also not in pink

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2014, 01:54 PM)Blackbag52 Wrote: Hi everyone,

I've been using a F&K Premo for the past two years but I'm currently looking to acquire an auto CPAP machine. I'm leaning toward the new ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset. I'm hoping to get some better data from the machine to help me understand how to lower my AHI. Without CPAP I was at AHI=110 and NEVER entered REM sleep during my sleep study. The docs put me on a ResMed Quatro FX full face mask and set their machine at 13cm H2O. My AHI dropped to 2 and I was in REM from about 90 minutes. This was pretty good.

However, now 2 years later my Sleepyhead data usually shows AHI >5 or 6 but my obstructive apnea is always very low. Seems my hypopnea is always high and I think the flow limitation is high. I'm wondering a couple of things.

First, can the auto machine help lower the AHI?

I used the Icon+ or Novo, and the Auto.

I had more success with Auto *but* I was also managing to acclimate to FF mask, and it was only working for a small period before I stopped feeling better again.

It really is quite hard to tell because some people actually do better with normal CPAP as it doesn't disturb you during pressure changes.

But one of the biggest advantages with an Auto is that you can select which mode you want (if you are willing to set the machine yourself that is, or have a very active sleep team).

Another nice feature that only F&P had until the A10 is Sensawake. Not sure if only the auto has that? But it does help to detect when you do not need high pressure while awake. Another advantage of F&P Icon is they are said to have the best humidifiers out of all of them, and they certainly do warm up well as the power supply is underneath.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses guys. I was wondering if the AirSense 10 autoset would provide more data than the Icon Premo not the S9. I thought seriously about going for the S9 but since I'm somewhat of a geek and I'll likely pay for this myself (my insurance is crap), I decided to go for the new model which I think is just a slight upgrade from the S9 auto. (emphasis on think as it is too new for any analysis yet) I did think about the "her" model which is the only one evidently to have RERA reports. Seems dumb on ResMed's account to do that...

My Premo does not have Sensawake.

I tried to attach some pics of the recent Sleepyhead data as I though it would help some of the more experienced guys/gals provide advise but unfortunately I don't have enough posts. I'm not sure if I can just attach some Sleepyhead data files or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2014, 01:54 PM)Blackbag52 Wrote: First, can the auto machine help lower the AHI?

-First, can the auto machine help lower the AHI?

You can probably get as low an AHI with a manual CPAP machine if you find the right pressure. The Auto may help you find the right pressure more easily. The Auto has other advantages as well,including comfort. Remember the Auto machine can be limited in pressure range, or set to manual CPAP as well.

If possible, get the AutoSet or AutoSet for Her instead of the Elite.

-Second, will the Resmed 10 auto provide more/better data to review?

Yes, the A10 AutoSet, AutoSet for her, or Elite will provide better data. We're not quite sure yet what data the base Airsense 10 "CPAP" model provides.

Avoid the A10 CPAP model for now. Note "AirSense 10 CPAP" is the name for the base model of the A10 line. Get the A10 Elite or AutoSet models instead.

-Third, is the AirSense (basically a CPAP machine, not a Bi Pap machine) likely to help or should I consider the AirCurve machine (which likely will require more study/work with my sleep doctor, More expense)

Probably not worth the expense or effort unless you have a specific problem that means you need a bilevel machine.

Bilevel (the generic term for BiPAP) doesn't necessarily help AHI. Bilevel machines mostly make it easier to exhale, which helps a few people with AHI, but usually doesn't affect AHI much. A bilevel can go to a higher pressure than a "CPAP or APAP" machine. If you need more than 20 cmH2O pressure, a bilevel can provide it and give you lower AHI.

If you have central apnea, a "normal" bilevel machine may or may not help it. The "big gun" for central apnea is the ASV machine, which is classified as a bilevel for regulatory and insurance reasons. ASV is much more expensive, and is difficult to adjust to for many people, but it's a lifesaver for those who need it. ASV is not recommended unless you have significant central apnea.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 24 450 48 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,808 5 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,616 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,806 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,184 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.