Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 behaves differently
Resmed Airsense 10 behaves differently
I have been using a Resmed Airsense 10 with nasal pillows without a problem until the CPAP began behaving differently than it used to in 2 ways:

1. The CPAP sends a brief blast of increased pressure down my windpipe every 30 minutes or so, which startles me awake, and then keeps sending the brief blast every 30 minutes or so, making it impossible for me to fall asleep.
2. The autostart feature works at the beginning of the night, but if I get up after a couple of hours to go to the bathroom, when I go back to bed after answering the call of nature, autostart does not work and I have to unplug the machine and plug it in again for autostart to work.

Have any Airsense 10 users experienced anything similar to these? Are there solutions to what's happening?

Thank you!
-jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 behaves differently
I know that several members have experienced problems with the SmartStart feature on the A10 series, me included. I don't recall anyone reporting the scenario that you described. You may wish to turn it off and see if roughing it (having to press the power button), corrects the problem.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To give any idea what is happening we need to see data. We use Oscar software who’s is totally free at the top of the site.

As far as smart start - it causes a lot of problems and many people have stopped using it. It is MUCH easier to just use the on/off button on the top of the machine.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jim, I have seen this rarely with the S10 Autoset machines…
If turning off SmartStart doesn’t improve the situation, then in some instances there are internal faults with control units or damage to pressure sensors, which can lead to this type of malfunction. What I used to do was make a simple manometer (if you google how to make a manometer there are many ways, and some are very simple to create and easy to use), and put the S10 in CPAP mode via the clinical settings, set the pressure to 10cm without ramp or EPR, and attach the machine to your manometer (it’s very helpful if you have space for at least a spike of pressure up to 20cm or more in terms of manometric redundancy in your manometer so it doesn’t spill over). Leave it on for at least 45mins, and observe for pressure spikes. If this happens, it’s likely confirming an issue with control boards or a damaged pressure sensor. Under these circumstances, I would return the item to ResMed for repair, if it’s under warranty, or inform the owner that it will cost them to have it repaired by ResMed if out of warranty. I’m not sure what the repairs situation is in the USA; I’m in Au.
I hope that helps, and best of luck Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
…I forgot to mention: this is also a good way to objectively check the accuracy of pressure delivery in any machine, as the calibration can wane over time in some sensors (most all brands), as well as aged control units.
For instance, I do an annual manometry on my AVAPS just to be sure what it tells me on the screen is not a fib Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 351 35 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,717 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,594 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,763 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.