Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 filters...please help!
Resmed Airsense 10 filters...please help!
I have a resmed Airsense 10....the open fiber filters do not work.  I have a cough every morning.I am washing filters and cram in 3 at a time so I don't get pneumonia...are ultra fine filters available??  I had to use this machine a couple months to get insurance help...I used my very old Resporinics machine for 2 days and no cough....are ultra fine filters available (while I'm still alive)????
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 filters...please help!
You're assuming the cough is related to particulate entering your lungs. That may not be the case.

Some factors to consider:
Are you using the humidifier?
Are you waking with a dry mouth?
Do you have allergies, asthma, or other respiratory condition?
Have you checked for a fever?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I assume you are referring to the thin white filters. They are not intended to be washed.

There is a hypoallerginic filter. From the Resmed website: "ResMed Hypoallergenic Air Filter is particularly suitable if your patient suffers from hayfever or other airborne allergens."
It is thicker than the standard filter. You can purchase them from any of the on-line suppliers http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

The air you breathe from your machine is the same air you breath all day long in your home. does it make you cough? I'm not trying to dismiss your issue but perhaps there is another cause.

I hope you find a solution to your problem.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't pay more than $1 per filter if your insurance does not cover them. You can find them on ebay at 12 for $10
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the tip!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I'm sure about the cough....I'm allergic to everything on earth....if I change the sheets every 7 days (dust mites) and change the CPAP filter often, I have no cough.....now with the new resmed machine, I can't seem to control it for more than a couple days.... I will look up and order the filters you suggested.....right now I rigged up a resporonic's ultra fine filter under the Resmed filter and have no cough, but I am afraid the small filter will get sucked into the machine.
I really appreciate your info.....thank you....it helps a lot....I knew I'd find better help here than from the supply company.....I was right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Clemmy,
I change the fine filters in my machine once a month.

You may also want to consider an air cleaner to run in your bedroom.
I am allergic to many things mostly dust, and this has helped me quite a bit.

I bought one than can be moved from room to room.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a great idea about the air cleaner.... I have to be real careful about dust.
Thank you for responding and your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Clemmy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you find a workable solution for your problem, good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Clemmie,

If you were using an "open fiber filter"  with no frame also known as a non-woven fiber filter, it was the wrong one for your Resmed machine. If you get the Resmed hypo-allergenic filters they are advertised to stop 80% of the particle sizes down to 0.5 microns iper the A10 clinicians manual. They look the same as the standard Resmed filters but are electrostatic. I have a lot of allergies and I use the Resmed Hypo-allergenic filters and they seem to work well for me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

EDIT: My memory did not serve me well. The particle size for the Resmed hypoallerginic filter is not .02 micron but is as corrected above. Thank you Melman for pointing out my error.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 465 1 hour ago
Last Post: Old Steve
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,822 7 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 92 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,618 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,806 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.