Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Which CPAP to buy?
Which CPAP to buy?
Hi all,

My old (very old/ancient) S9 Escape has been giving me the 'motor life exceeded' warning forever, I'm concerned about the motor burning up from excessive wear and causing me to inhale the toxic smoke. It's 12 to 13 years old already::>

Today we have machines that do daily AHI evaluations as we sleep and use OSCAR software, to me it seems like the hardware and software has never been better.

I need buying suggestions, full compatibility with OSCAR and able to interface with an O2 sensor. It seems to me that the ability to do raw data analysis from the SD card makes the basic home sleep study obsolete, and some sleep doctors might accept its raw data to assist in diagnosing more complex sleep issues.

Anyway, I'm thinking about the ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and wonder what the group thinks of them? Also, is there an online resource with info on which CPAP to buy, as in price/feature comparisons??

All comments appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which CPAP to buy?
IMHO the best APAP/CPAP to get is the AutoSet for Her (it has an extra mode that you may or may not need or use) VERY slightly behind that is the AutoSet so Yes, great machine.
2 Choices on O2 integration
1. The ResMed branded one that puts the data on the SD card ($1000+)
2. OTC Pulse Oximeters that OSCAR can read. (well under $100)

ResMed AutoSet Dreamstation Auto comparison
Why ResMed?
1. Faster algorithmic response to events than PR.
2. ResMed Responds to Flow Limits
PR responds to Snores
3. Lower average pressure (PR require a higher pressure to ward off obstructive events)
4. Better to avoid Aerophagia.
5. EPR provides for better treatment of hypopneas, RERAs, Flow Limits, UARS, and snores
6. EPR acts like a BiLevel up to a limit of 3cmw (1,2, or 3cmw) and a max pressure of 20 cmw
7. EPR follows your breathing whereas Flex predicts it with a feeling of fighting to get a breath when it predicts incorrectly
8. More flexibility in treating a greater variety of Apneas and respiratory events.
9. In general provides better therapy.
I have frequently told many DreamStation users that they need to get either the ReaMed AutoSet or BiLevel to get better therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK guys, let's help BB63 source an AutoSet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #2 These will be found about 3/4 way down the list of machines for sale.

New Open Box:
S10 AutoSet for her $599 with heated hose, $589 w/o heated hose
S10 AutoSet heated hose $559, w/o heated hose $539
These come with carry case, 2 yr warranty, power supply, filters, and hose.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check the supplier list above.  It seems that the AirSense prices have come down a bit.  Supplier #1 is also selling for under $600.00 with a 30 day trial.  

You can also check places like Ebay, MarketPlace, DOTMed, Craig's list.  If you shop in those places, be careful as you have to know what to look for.  There are many AirSense models, don't get taken.  Check for a non smoking, pet free environment, and ask what the machine run hours are.  

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Supplier #2 as they have a good reputation.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.