Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 parts replacement
Resmed Airsense 10 parts replacement
Hello,

I have been on this machine for almost 11 mos now. CPAP therapy is going well, my leak is under 25 l/min on most nites, varies between 5 and 20 for most nites, goes above 25 once or twice a month to 30 or 35 l/min. Likewise there are 1 or 2 nites when it goes under 5 as well. My events is around 1 / hr..

My question is on replacement frequency. I have been replacing my nasal pillows every 2 mos, so have accumulated 6 of them now, but they all still look new to me.. Is it ok to use them for an extended period like 4 months if they look good (ie not worn out)

Same question for air tubing and mask tubing.. Can I use them for 2 years since they also still look good 

I clean them once a month with warm water and mild detergent as recommended.. 

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 parts replacement
I have 2 hoses and complete p10 masks that I've rotated through for 4 years. I'll use 'em as long as they work.

your leaks are a bit high. chances are you're leaking from mouth or lips with the p10. my lip leaks are out of control (similar levels to yours) without a soft cervical collar to reduce them. other solutions are tape, chin strap (that pulls up not back), and some people other than me can master the tongue suck method (search this site for instructions).
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still using my original ResMed climate line hose and water reservoir. It's now been over two years. Same goes for the swivel joint for the hose. 

I'm now using an AirFit F30 mask and it's now almost 9 months old and still doing fine. Still using the original head gear that came with my AirFit F20 mask / machine. 

Properly cleaned and maintained, I'm thinking a lot of CPAP gear will last a lot longer than what the DME providers want you to believe.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the replacement timing is to ensure DME speed boat payments from their customer and insurance. I've not had anything fail in 4 years on my ASV. I replace filters roughly on a monthly basis, but I have a heated hose that's original with the ASV. I'd say the only other part to replace "frequent" is the mask cushion. When it starts to get stiffer or otherwise you can't maintain a seal but it was controlled prior, then swap in a new one.

I do agree your leak rate is pretty high. Time to use OSCAR and show what's going on. It's likely as sheepless said as in mouth leaks. Regardless, therapy is going to suffer with higher leak rates by disturbing sleep or the machine can't maintain pressure with very high leak rates.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2020, 08:37 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I think the replacement timing is to ensure DME speed boat payments from their customer and insurance. I've not had anything fail in 4 years on my ASV. I replace filters roughly on a monthly basis, but I have a heated hose that's original with the ASV. I'd say the only other part to replace "frequent" is the mask cushion. When it starts to get stiffer or otherwise you can't maintain a seal but it was controlled prior, then swap in a new one.

I do agree your leak rate is pretty high. Time to use OSCAR and show what's going on. It's likely as sheepless said as in mouth leaks. Regardless, therapy is going to suffer with higher leak rates by disturbing sleep or the machine can't maintain pressure with very high leak rates.

Hi @SarcasticDave94 and @sheepless,

Here is my oscar stats for last 6 mos
Avg leak rate 2.72
95% leak rate 18
% of time above leak rate threshold 2.28%
AHI 0.79 

And just last week
Avg leak rate 4.91
95% leak rate 25.20
% of time above leak rate threshold 5.69%
AHI 0.72

Sorry for my ad hoc way of reporting these #s.. Does it still look like my leak rate is high ? 
My guess - my nasal pillow mask bands have lost their elasticity and hence the leak has gotten a bit worse over time.. Will order a new mask tubing and see if it drops down.. But my AHI looks good it seems..
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the average 95% rate seems pretty high but I noticed you can spend very little time at high leaks and the numbers can be very inflated. Might be worth posting some OSCAR charts of a few nights so people can have a look in more detail. 5.69% over 25L/min could be upwards of 25+ minutes a night depending on how many hours of sleep you are trying to get.

I use a tiny little bit of lanolin on my nose at night so the pillow sticks slightly (but not so much otherwise its like an ice skating rink).

Edit:
Regarding cleaning I am not sure what the ideal schedule is however I do the following:
-Daily: pillow + humidifier
-Weekly: Rest of the mask + hose

I use some basic liquid soap with hot water and have not run into any issues so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the leak stats posted, I'd say your 95% leak rate is on the increase. 25.x is over the ResMed redline for leaks of 24 L/min. Without OSCAR data to give a better story on it, it is possible this is just occasional higher leaks, so I can't say definitively if this is a really bad stat or not. I'd question the accuracy of all stats if my leak rates were higher such as this. With my new F&P mask, I get a few leak blips up to 4 L/min that last in the 1-3 second duration, with no other leak recorded.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you like your P10 mask and would like a adjustable elastic head band you can order them. Resmed Part # 64216, they seem to work well so far. They are the Resmed N30 head band but work on the P10 also.
I find parts for the P10 last a long time if you are on a budget like I'm on, I have used the P10 mask for over 5 years and I don't think there is one better for myself IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply
my leaks tend to be mostly lip leaks. the only way I know to know if my p10 pillows are worn is to buy a new one to compare.

for no empirical reason I'm happiest when my 95%tile leaks are 10 or lower. any and all leaks above 24 are undesirable and demand attention. for me, anything in between should be worked on. as my therapy slowly improves, I find that my leaks, particularly above 10, cause disturbances, from momentary arousals to full awakenings, which, of course, is what we're trying to avoid.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 357 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,719 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,034 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,597 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,818 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,764 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.